2020 Monster Jam - April Craftalong

Agree!! Everyone’s projects have been so fun!! A much needed happy relief right now.

2 Likes

OOO monsters. Under my bed, in my closet and all over the craft room!

A few of my all time favorites of yesteryear.

I made and donated some of these guys years ago to a fund raiser and was asked to make one of my art dolls again. I asked which ones and the reply was “the ugly ones” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I’ve always thought they were adorable.

The Pumpkin is certainly a monster. he had to eat lots of kid’s candy to get this round!

Mothera came from outer space and glows in the dark making it very hard to lurk at night observing the natives.

There are more, but monsters are hard to find in the daylight.

10 Likes

I have coveted one of these for the longest time!!

HE’S MINE!! I just showed him off to my virtual friends the other night!!

I don’t remember this one! Was this for a swap?

2 Likes

Yes, for a swap…which one? I can’t remember. Monsters have stolen my brain.
Maybe a Dotee swap? Weird Dotee, but then outer space monsters get a chance too.

1 Like

Outer space monsters should ALWAYS get a chance!

(also, now i want an outerspace moster dotee)

1 Like

I present my newest monster … Sprouted Pea

His full post is Here and he has glowing parts too

11 Likes

His teef!

2 Likes

I have another one! Loch Ness Feltie - Monster Jam 2020
I learned the fun of hand sewing with felt! I had so much fun making this. I want to make an entire village of felties (is that what these things are called?) and I plan to alter the pattern to make a bunch of other, random creatures too. :crazy_face:
Here is Finn with my cat Pandy (Pandemonium).

13 Likes

And I have a few of your monsters in my house too from a long ago monster swap! They’re soo cool. Mine even has a basket of eyeballs. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed:

They are monsters, what can you do?

1 Like

Pandy seems very OK about having little monsters as pals. does she ever steal them and take them for walks?

2 Likes

@magpie – I love the way the fleece monster looks with his hair up. LOL! They are all so cute and I love their personalities.

@marionberries – The “ugly” striped monsters are fantastic. I love the horns!!! I also love their eyes and belly buttons! The pumpkin guy is amazing. What was he sculpted out of? And Mothera is very cool!

@Cindy – The Spouted Pea monster is my favorite so far. There is just something about him.

1 Like

I started with a small plastic pumpkin party favor, you know the ones you can buy at any party store around halloween…6 or 8 to a package. Then I pulled the handle off and got out my trusty heat gun. I warmed up the little guy’s head and squished it with a book until i got the shape I wanted…less grinning pumpkin and more squinty.There was some whining and complaining and general grumpy muttering, but I don’t think I hurt him much, he was only a head at this point.

If I remember, I covered him with paper mache, probably tissue paper, added paper clay or polymer clay ( I can’t remember), more mache, lots of paint. I especially love the teeth.

The body is a basic pincushion ball shape, with arms. I attached the head through the bottom of the pumpkin using a button and strong thread to a button or maybe a washer at the bottom, pulling tight and squishing his body too. I think I may have put a heavy large washer inside the body at the bottom…or maybe a small bag of sand to help anchor him before I stuffed him. I solve these issues as I go and don’t always remember what I did.

His head is filled with candy corn, so you see, he is really harmless.

I thought this could also work for a snowman or elf or Santa too…maybe less scary, but then monsters are everywhere.

7 Likes

Oh, the same could totally work for other creatures!

2 Likes

Pandy is a boy (even though he is pretty enough to be a girl). :blush: I have five cats and Pandy was the only one showed any interest in the felt stuffies. I rescued this one from him, that’s why I took their picture together. I am keeping them on the only shelf that the cats don’t get on now. Just in case.

1 Like

Wow, what an incredible profusion of monsters! So many incredible creations, I have loved this so much.

Here are a few more of my cuddle little terrors to check out, 26 monsters all in a row.

4 Likes

I’ve been having fun doing the ATC weekend blitz. The first theme was myths, so I ended up making a set of fun ATCs with monsters from (mostly) Greek mythology. And @Bunny1kenobi suggested they might like to be part of the monster jam too!

1/6 myths (this one wasn’t my original idea, I saw a cartoon that made me laugh)

2/6 bubbles

3/6 positive vibes

4/6 monochromatic

5/6 under the sea

6/6 houses

(I’ve been playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey lately…)

9 Likes

These monsters are utterly brilliant!!! I have a thing for monsters living their everyday lives (or what they do in the ‘offseason’), so these are quite appealing to me.

Thanks for bringing the JAM, @jemimah!!

3 Likes

These monsters are soo cool! I love your “silly and fast” style as you call it in the original post. Very cool and a very great addition!

4 Likes