2020 Story Quilt in a hurry

Here’s the last crafty thing I did for this year’s Gish . I did it in just half a day, so it’s reeeeally wonky!

It was for Item #73: Create a story quilt about 2020 for future generations. In keeping with the true experience of 2020, it should incorporate some burlap or other really rough material.

Some of you may know that I am just baaaaarely dipping my toes into the world of quilting. It’s something I’ve been super interested in for ages, but in general my crafting style is not at all precise, and lining up all those corners and edges and stuff is still super intimidating to me. For this project, though, I obviously didn’t worry about that. This is the result of no measuring, almost no planning, and just totally winging it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: There’s also no actual quilting or even batting, but it’s patchwork, so that counts, right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Also, I’m sad you can’t see it, but the burlap is actually shiny, with gold thread worked through it. And it was VERY itchy to work with all afternoon/evening; lemme tell you!

11 Likes

This is brilliant, we laughed so hard at home. Actually crying would be more appropriate but we’re past that stage. There’s no point to wait until December to make a story quilt about 2020 because there’s no way the year is going to get any better than this.

1 Like

Hehe the dumpster fire is funny :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m so glad you can TELL it’s a dumpster fire! :joy: I was worried it might not be clear what the two embellishments were.

1 Like

I love that the prompt required some burlap…a rough fabric but also a beautifully textured one!

I also recognized the virus and the dumpster fire…and love that the patchwork is an ode to your many masks…job well done…2020 will be talked about for a long time in so many ways…

1 Like

Thank you! And aww, you recognized the fabrics! :blush::heart:

1 Like