2021 DeStash-Along

Five hours? Make it a community builder- dump a bottle of water on it and have 3 strangers hold a corner and pull taut until dry. haha

4 Likes

Posting here to remind myself to DO SOMETHING! I won’t tell y’all how much yardage I have plus other things. Just need to get out of my rut! Anyone else feel this way?

6 Likes

I felt this way, last year especially. I was just overwhelmed with my space. I started going into my craft room and the first thing I picked up I did something with. If I couldn’t think of a craft project I decluttered it. Sometimes I ended up making a bigger mess than when I started but it made me feel productive and got the creative juices flowing some.

7 Likes

Destashed some yarn instead of updating my CV today!!

Made some slipper socks with some yarn I’ve had forever!!

They don’t really match because I winged the changing of colour, but who’s gonna care. If my feet are warm when WFH then that’s great for me.

14 Likes

Sometimes the time I used to spend in my studio was just tidying and organising, not actually crafting, but I didn’t mind it because I was in my happy place :slight_smile: Although, I didn’t throw too much out but I was able to find homes for lots of things :wink:

4 Likes

Busted some unlikely-to-be-used-otherwise printed cardstock and weirdly shaped scraps making 11 thank you notes using a new (free gift) die set. YEY!

6 Likes

How cute is that?! I love his little toe beans😁

1 Like

So pretty! I love the colours! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I (finally) tackled 2 home org projects and managed to do it allll with stash!

First I reconfigured our stupidly-shaped cedar closet; deeper than it is wide. Sigh. I decided to do shelves behind a rod - since mostly we store non-hanging things and the rod is short enough that even if it was full it wouldn’t be that big of a deal to grab a bunch of hangers and lay their contents on the bed.

I had some melamine-laminated sheetgoods and the iron-on tape to finish the front edge leftover from another project shelving project. Then cut pieces from yet another shelving project to use for the supports. I reused the rod after sanding it and cutting it a bit sorter to fit in the wood brackets that I have had FOREVER. YEY!

Second, I used some of the same melamine material to add two shelves to our mug cupboard. I had the shelf pegs for a mystery reason.

12 Likes

@TheMistressT Better storage is always a win. Making the shelves shorter is brilliant. I should do this for our fake cedar closet (now the cleaning and cat food closet) and the bathroom closet which has incredibly deep shelves. Who knows what’s back there anymore?

We have some very un storage-friendly closets built into our 1950s home, awkward and I’ve not yet figured out a fix without deconstructing and starting over.

And I used nothing but stash for this little mini kitten lap quilt:

9 Likes

I love your kitten quilt!

In our case the shelves weren’t deep. They were just at the back with a rod under them. So much wasted space in the front of the closet! Well, not so much wasted as unorganized since we ended up stacking boxes on the floor and then setting things atop them. This is the before.

It’s nice that whomever built this put a light in, but WHY it is located off center and near the back, I will never know. I wish it would be easy to move it to just inside the door.

3 Likes

Old houses! Our bathroom light was on the wall next to the shower, not inside the door. Really confused guests. We did get it moved when we replaced the tub/shower. The old one had settled and the water ran right out into the room.

2 Likes

Love the closet re-do!

My older house (1920) was allegedly built by a neighbor’s great grandfather and I really want to know why zero closets were considered for the first floor. But it was renovated at some point so maybe the second hammer-weilder did away with them for some reason. Upstairs one bedroom has a “proper” closet but the other one has only storage closets (2) with no bars/shelves and one is open to the sloped eaves and insulation. My current furniture dream is an old-timey wardrobe cabinet.

2 Likes

Closets were rare in the 20s and even in the 50’s, they were very small. Most people used hooks or a free-standing wardrobe. and they didn’t have the crazy amount of clothing that we consider necessary today. I mean, do I really need all those coats, t-shirts, dresses that I can’t fit into anymore?

4 Likes

Speaking of excess closets, our bedroom has 3(!) huge closets - a walk in and 2 full sized closets. I have no idea how anyone would ever need that many clothes. I took out all of the hanging hardware from the 2 full sized closets, added floor to ceiling shelving, and turned them into craft supply and yarn storage :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As one should! :upside_down_face::laughing:

2 Likes

That’s what I figured. I suppose back in the day one also didnt want to create beautiful condo space for rodents.

At least I am one who managed to keep her clothing counts at a minimum… the husband on the other hand… who needs that many sweatshirts!?! Lol

2 Likes

See, that’s what they were for!

3 Likes

Thankfully the rest of the closets are more to standard of today as the house was built in the 1970s - except they all have lights which is a bonus! It’s nice to have this storage, but if it had never been done and we had the wall space that the door takes up AND the ceiling height that this dimishes over the landing on the stairs, I’d probably be just as happy.

@photojenn My mom has a similar situation! A full-sized closet AND a walk in! Like, WHY?

2 Likes

Sorted a bin of randomness & found 1/4 pair of jeans so I stayed up until midnight (on a worknight! :astonished: ) sewing a cute little bag for our friend’s daughter. The lining & underside of the strap is sweet purple galaxy fabric. I’m so pleased with how it turned out.

12 Likes