2021 DeStash-Along

I do the same thing. I sometimes think a pattern takes me longer to figure out than just figuring it out on my own…I rarely buy a pattern…like you, after years of sewing, you know enough to figure out by looking how it comes together…I just love seeing the different variations on the basics that makes them unique to your project…the fabric choices, the trims, the special button, etc. Very nicely done and very practical and cute to boot!

I feel the same way! It’s quicker & easier just to do my own thing instead of trying to follow someone else’s instructions.
Case in point, this was so quick to make tonight! It’s not wonky, it just needs a press.

I put in an open wide style zip.

13 Likes

I need to do some power-sewing…

@Magpie, I love all of the sewing projects I saw from you lately!
These two, and others.
Great sewing skills and lovely materials choices!

I’m two skeins into my project to use up the 6 adopted yellow from a friend. Slowly working my way to getting the whole stash to fit in the one cabinet.

4 Likes

This thread is so inspiring. I love looking through all these fabulous things!

Remembered we needed a bday card on the way out the door, sheesh last minute or what?! Thank goodness for masterboards & ephemera stash. It was even all still out on the table, double plus bonus.

14 Likes

Wow that looks amazing!

Well, this week I got to use unwittingly inherited stash! There was a mystery stack of used lumber on the property when we moved in. Some things hint that perhaps the last owners disassembled some kind of shed or something before putting the house on the market. ANYWAY, I am putting together a new back-door firewood rack and am so far able to use all gleaned lumber for the wood parts of the rack! Pics soon.

8 Likes

I need a stack of unclaimed wood. We need to build a new compost bin. The one we built from scrap 13m years ago is falling apart.

Enjoy your new wood rack

2 Likes

Oh my giggles, they also left us a BUNCH of mostly kind of broken pallets. Every so often I look up how to take apart pallets and decide not to. Specialty tools are expensive, neither of us are particularly keen on using reciprocating saws, etc. and so on. We’ve offered them up to a few folks who always get excited, but then never follow up. Maybe next year!

1 Like

I use Craigs list to get rid of a lot of things. I could sell them, but mostly I want to get rid of them. We gave away a bunch of old cement patio pavers. 18" x 24" by 3-4" thick. Those things were heavy! A young couple came and hauled away all the good ones and made a patio of their own. And we only have about 6 broken ones left. Yay! Anybody want them? :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, I have thought of that! But I can’t keep from thinking that I will put them to use! Even if it’s just breaking them down to add to our firewood - FREE HEAT!

1 Like

We’re looking for some to build a deck platform around our camper when we find a good seasonal site. But, ya, free heat can’t be beat!

1 Like

I have been going through the pattern books and I think I might bring some to a local knitters group that I discovered meets at the library to see if anyone wants them. Does that seem too forward for not having been to their group meet ups before? Or perhaps a good sacrificial offering to let me join them if my life (and effing covid) allows? If you can’t tell, I get self conscious.

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s too forward at all! We have people donate books to my weaving guild all the time who aren’t members. It’s always welcomed and we invite them to join one of our meetings if they’re interested.

3 Likes

I think it’s a great idea! I would be excited if someone brought patterns if I was part of the group.

1 Like

I finished a big destash project - my scrappy blanket! It’s made from yarn leftover from many other projects!

(pattern: Trip Around The World Throw)

14 Likes

It is just gorgeous! And, you have something to remember all of your other yarn projects!

1 Like

It’s fabulous!!

1 Like