2021 Sustainable mend-along

Well done!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I snap up all the worn out t shirts in the house. Best paint rags, ever! But we tend to wear plain shirts, not printed t-shirts so there’s always a good selection of colors for patching and making other things. I’ve done a few crocheted cat beds with t-shirt yarn.

3 Likes

Yikes, I didn’t realize it had been so long since I’d been on here!I have one mend to share. The inner button on my wool cloak was tearing through. I found a piece of felted wool the same weight as my cloak, removed the button, and patched up the hole. It’s on the inside, so no one will ever see it. When I reattached the button, I sewed only through the patch so as not to weaken the original wool any further. The stitching is not pretty because I started out in whipstitch and then decided that was dumb and finished it in blanket stitch.

9 Likes

I always like the look of visible mending! And a small patch like this will make wearing the coat so much more comfortable.

I’ve been wanting to handsew a patch on an oven mitt for months but never did it. When I was cutting fabric scraps the other day I put aside a square of fabric. I promise I’ll stitch it on tomorrow! It’s probably not much bigger than your patch, it will take no time at all.

4 Likes

Here’s the patch! It’s not the neatest piece of work I’ve ever made but it’s functional.

12 Likes

Functional is what matters!

1 Like

Finally got out a couple feet of this yarn to fix my scarf!

Not the tidiest of mends, but given how hard I had to look to find the holes, I’m not too concerned.

8 Likes

My mending pile has been neglected this month. I’ve added a pair of fairy wings needing a fix so now it looks quite jazzy, though, so not a total fail :laughing:

8 Likes

Um, fairy wing repair is urgent business!!

3 Likes

Hmmm… perhaps I should embrace my mending pile and start decorating around it :laughing:

2 Likes

Here’s the place to visit for “Certified Wand and Wing Repair”!!

8 Likes

Omg!! I love that!!:heart_eyes:

Sounds like the best solution. Add a channel.

And if you take elastic and add ties to the ends for the cord, you give yourself more give. And we all need give in our sweatpants.

3 Likes

Fixed some pants. Pants I made out of an old sweater, how’s that for a sustainable mend job?

A sweater.

Now I’m working on the man’s cardigan, it seems like it’s more holes than wool at this point.

13 Likes

Good idea! Now, I just need to see if I have suitable elastic on hand. I’ll be shocked if I don’t.

Today I did some maintenance on my beautiful cutting board from Plum Creek Design - it was very dried out and rough from many years of use. Sanding it by hand I couldn’t go deep enough to completely resurface it, but it does feel very smooth now (80 grit, 120 grit, then 220 grit). Then I rubbed it with food safe mineral oil for a protective coating.

Before . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After

15 Likes

I love that cardigan!!!

I almost wish for moth holes so I can dot my sweater so colorful! :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Because a purposeful dotting would feel disingenuous.

1 Like