2021 Sustainable mend-along

Here is my latest “fix it” project. My MIL cleaned out her closet and gave me a bunch of tops, mostly t-shirt material. This was one of them, but it had some small coffee stains in an unfortunate area. At first, I thought I would just dye the top to camouflage the stains, but I like the 80’s vibe that the top gives off. So, I went with the “cover it up” method. I had some leftover grey denim from taking up a pair of jeans that were too long. I cut out some hearts and sewed them over the stains. I wanted to embellish them with something, but the tshirt is too lightweight to support a heavy appliqué.

14 Likes

Cute save…and it fits the style!

Thanks so much. It reminds me now of something I had in college or high school.

1 Like

Oh dear, I think I had this top back in the day. Funny how things come around.

2 Likes

I know I did…I wore it at my 30th birthday party and that was in the 80’s! lol

I still love the look, but I am too frumpy to wear it now!

2 Likes

I know I had a similar one. This one makes me think of Pat Benatar.

4 Likes

I have a big pile of mending to do. I haven’t sewed much lately but at least this is no longer in the pile!

I set this teatowel on fire…

Now I have cleaning rags

10 Likes

Nice save!

1 Like

It’s a fairly new, very good quality towel so I was a bit sad about setting it on fire, at least it will be used in another way now.

I tried to mend a hole in a pillowcase but the fabric has worn so thin that it’s just ripping further and further. I was just using the “randomly sewing over the rip” method, I think I will try cutting a big patch and sewing it over the entire worn-out area. The matching duvet cover also needs some work. “Normal” people would probably just toss it, but it’s my favourite, it’s nice and soft and we love the print.

7 Likes

Reinforcements are in order! There are several thin patches to fix along this seam too. It’s very satisfying to needlefelt patches over them and I only stabbed myself twice tonight…

7 Likes

This is more of a “make do” than a “mend” strictly speaking, but it did make this good-quality-and-in-good-condition zip-front sweatshirt into one TheMisterT would want to wear by sewing a fun patch over an unloved logo.

Patch is from a collection of fictional national parks by The Midnight Society. There’s some good’uns!

8 Likes

snort, grrrrl

1 Like

Oh, that’s fabulous! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

lol What a fun improvement! Not sure a sweatshirt would be needed there, but it makes it funnier!

3 Likes

THanks, y’all!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey, deserts get cold at night! :laughing:

1 Like

Oh, you are correct! I forgot that it is a harsh planet and the nighttime temps are just as bad as the day…rumored to be about 20 degrees below zero! Ouch…been a while since I read it (1972?)…

1 Like

The mending pile is growing… I haven’t mended much lately, mostly found new things to fix.

The other day I realised the sleeve of one of my favourite cardigans had a small hole in it. I surprised myself by mending it today. I started during a training video that I needed to listen to and finished today after work. It’s a close enough match.

I’ve mended the same cardigan before so I knew I had suitable yarn and a method that works and looks good. The other mend is in a more visible spot, but I don’t mind.

Back of the mend + bonus cat content.

8 Likes

Added a challenge for October. I need to accept my own challenges more often :laughing:

5 Likes

All the swants I made, then patched, need even more patching. It’s comfy cosy cashmere leggings weather so I’m going to get on it this week!

6 Likes