2021 Sustainable mend-along

I sewed up my partner’s pants … lol. Not great but you probably wouldn’t notice it?

13 Likes

Maybe I will!! I haven’t celebrated carnival for years. Under normal circumstances we visit your corner of Germany quite often, both together and alone. It’s far away to feel like a real holiday and close enough for a weekend trip. And German food :heart_eyes: I only know about one craft shop in Cologne (Stoff & Stil) so I could use a tour from a local guide :smiley: !

Eindhoven is not very special, it’s smaller and not as beautiful. It’s a bit like Duisburg and Essen. I haven’t been on Texel for years but we used to go camping in De Koog when I was a child.

I still get dressed every morning, even when I don’t have videocalls, but in far more comfortable clothes. I prefer to wear skirts/dresses and I wear cotton tights now. The knitted ones that girls wear. They’re much warmer, don’t get damaged easily and they can be darned when you do eventually get holes.

2 Likes

Looks pretty good for a pair that damaged!!

1 Like

@RagingSloth looks good. Tears along pockets are the easiest to hide/blend in!

So I used some stash bits to create some kitten proofing for our recliners. They are fairly new, but only Ikea quality. Still, I like to whip the covers off when we have company (when we get to again) and have things look nice. Our foster kittens have gotten old enough to be a menace. Clipped claws last about a day. Sticky tape doesn’t stick to these chairs so I pin patches of fabric with tape on them to the corners, but the back top of the chairs were getting a beating too. So I made covers for the top that hide neatly under the covers. I used a couple of remnants to create them. Not ideal, but should save some kitty wear and tear. The big black band is from the seat covers.

12 Likes

I added some inspiration links and a tutorial link to the first posts. Please let me know if you have any to share and I’ll link them.

2 Likes

Tiny progress on the mending pile…

I found a pretty good match for the thread color and the button was found in the laundry room last weekend. I thought I’d had to try matching the button too and that would have been tricky!

It doesn’t look very impressive here, but it’s a very nice piece of clothing and it has been part of my wardrobe for more than 10 years now.

Another win:

Caught this thin patch on my cosy socks before it turned into a big hole. I think it’s at most one tiny yarn break and I should be able to find similar weight yarn in the stash for a quick and easy mend.

14 Likes

Love those socks! And yay for invisibly mending a favourite item of clothing.

1 Like

I was lucky! No yarn break even if it held on with a few strands only… I’ve reinforced the thin part so they should last much longer now. This is probably my last pair of grandma knitted socks so I want to make sure to take care of them.

I had the same kind of yarn in a colorway I bought to knit sharky socks for a swap :slight_smile: So black/white/grey, but it blended well.

13 Likes

I absolutely love this repair, @Annchen! So well done!

Sounds familiar to me :laughing:. Most of the times I have to mend my husband’s jeans it’s the inside pockets. He carries his keys in the pockets which, of course, cause the wear and tear.

1 Like

Love the pale buttons…I have some things that I think would be updated if I would just change out the buttons!

Also, what a prized possession you have in those socks from your grandmother! You have done her proud with your mend!

I think jeans manufacturers purposely use the thinnest fabric for the pockets just so they wear out! You would think by now they would find some industrial strength fabric that would hold up well…they want us to throw them out for a pocket tear, I am sure!

3 Likes

Ya’ll. I need HELP.

I love wearing leggings, but as a plus size girl…the thighs wear out much too quickly. I was thinking I should probably reinforce the area BEFORE they wear out so I could just remove the reinforcement and replace that instead of fixing the actual leggings themselves.

Has anyone does this before? Or come across any good tutorials? I don’t wanna keep buying leggings dangit.

I need guidance in:

• How to repair thigh holes in leggings. (What fabric type and method works best?)
  • Can I reinforce before they wear out and then replace that when it needs it?

Let me note that most of them are all black so I’m not trying to repair printed leggings luckily. If anyone has any ideas I would be forever grateful!

4 Likes

I have the same problem! I have no idea how to repair cotton knit other than to clumsily sew up the hole, but the integrity of the entire thigh area is compromised and they end up ripping out the next time I wear them.

1 Like

What I do for small holes is cut a patch from a similar knit fabric and zig zag that in place.

I can image maybe lining the leggings beforehand with a stretchy fabric could help?

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I will try that.

Scotchgard is recommended to decrease friction at the thighs for leggings but it is so toxic. There is a less horrible alternative called Vectra.
To reinforce the leggings, a patch (think riding trousers) of similar weight & stretch fabric can be applied with a flat overlock stitch or zigzag. A disolvable stabilizer will prevent fabric stretch/pucker while sewing those on. Using a t-shirt thread can help keep the stitches from snapping too.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking riding pants as well. But not in the contrast fabric generally used.

1 Like

Do you wear tops that cover up most of the inner thigh area? If so, using old worn out leggings to add another layer on the inner thigh. If you do it inside, then the outside is going to wear, pill and fray anyway, on the outside it would show more, but easier to replace when that wears. They really should make leggings and jeans with extra tough fabric on the inner thigh, we are women after all. We have thighs!

3 Likes

They won’t even reliably give us useful pockets! :rofl: And it’s been a “thing” for a decade!

4 Likes

Thank you all for the suggestions. Definitely some things for me to think about!

@Magpie I’ll look into dissolvable stabilizer. I haven’t heard of that. (I’m a only-knows-the-very-beginner-basics sewer. Ha!)

@marionberries They’ve only just now started reinforcing the knees on little kids’ pants. I’m sure they do it so we’ll have to keep buying things. I HAVE found plus size leggings with reinforced thighs (kinda like riding pants) but they were nearly $100. :grimacing:

2 Likes