2023 DeStash-Along

Are you using a pattern for the bags or just winging it? That’s a fun idea.

1 Like

Some I am completely winging (one of them is very wonky because of this lol), and others I’m pulling stitch patterns from hats or fair isle charts or randomness. I’m trying to have fun with it, and am learning a few new tricks as I go along. :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s such a cool way to practice stitches! I need to use up yarn too, maybe I finally will learn to knit, hmm…

2 Likes

Such good goals! I’m hoping to do pretty much the same :smile:

3 Likes

I have officially run out of room to grow in my stash over the last year so for 2023 I am going on a No Buy. I need to create some breathing space in there, which is rather hard when your primary crafting results are about 6 inches tall.

My stash is primarily in four areas -

• Fabric (the largest by volume and variety, 80% small cuts of tiny prints and 10% really cool vintage fabric from older relatives’ stashes that I don’t know what to do with, and 10% stuff I bought because it was pretty without having a real use for)
  • Paper (haven’t bought any a couple years, so this is just a continual stash down)
  • Yarn (I’m a social knitter and the pandemic killed my knitting groups, so it’s been a while since I actually made anything with this stash)
  • Stationery, Stickers, and Ink (primarily acquired in the last year, much to my chagrin. I began a new journaling hobby and have also done some stress-related purchases in search of dopamine in trying times)

My goals are to do some actual weeding with realistic expectations of what supplies I will actually use, finish up some Works In Progress so they can be gifted, donated, or put to use rather than stored, and do monthly check-ins with the amount of materials used up. Hopefully they don’t prove too tedious for others.

9 Likes

And now for something completely different but vaguely stash related, I just did my once yearly Emptying of the Thread Catcher ritual, and here’s my clippings from 2022. Does anyone else hoard empties for a great end of year reckoning?

8 Likes

ahem @magpie ahem

1 Like

Here’s the one I keep beside the bed.

Yes, I said “one”. Quit pickin’ on me! :smile:

5 Likes

@Magpie XD. I’ve also got the “mug of gathering threads I can reuse for sewing snaps” so I feel your multiple jars of clippings.

3 Likes

No—who would save those? :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

I just want to hug these posts lol

3 Likes

I was waiting right here for you Linda :smile:

3 Likes

I was feeling violated…thanks for the support… :rofl:

4 Likes

On another board, somebody posted a picture of all the threads they cleaned out of their studio chair’s wheels. Six people asked what they were going to make with it.

7 Likes

I still have a bin of economy quilt stuffing material that all the cut threads, yarn ends, and bits of fabric go into. (Just in case I want to add to my lap quilt, I guess.)

9 Likes

My heart did a little pitter-pat! I see so many gorgeous scraps in there. Are you sure you want to use those for stuffing? I will trade you for actual stuffing! :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Technically, it’s not all stuffing. There’s a lot there that could be used in tiny scrap projects, if I’m ever again so inclined (a little burnt out after the queen-sized scrap quilt!). This is the unsorted mess on top. Beneath this is a pile that’s been properly shredded.

But, if you find yourself running low on bitty scraps, you might be able to talk me into a swap later this year. I’ll have even more by then, I’m sure. :wink:

2 Likes

Running low? Oh, my dear… no fear on that front :joy:
I would happily swap with you anytime for anything tho! :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Ok, truth talk here gang:
I just went to empty a tote bag with my lion brand woolspun and found dog food in there. The effing mice again!

So, my question: do i just throw it away? I mean, it’s definitely contaminated. I am so upset!

1 Like

Argh, mice, why??? :tired_face:

Do you want to try washing the yarn, or is that going to be more stress and heartache than giving up and getting new skeins would be?

2 Likes