Sustainable mend and maintain-along ♻️

Grabbed the top item off my mend pile and finally started removing the flaking paint from my Grandmother’s hand mixer. I’ve been wanting a hand mixer and scolding myself that I have one it just isnt food safe!

Now, can I just use like the stuff for wooden cutting boards, or does it need painting?

5 Likes

I would just use food save oil on them. The more you use it, it will darken and get more beautiful.

3 Likes

A thread came loose in a granny square afghan and it then spent months in the mending pile. Today I finally bit the bullet and was able to repair it. It took some time to figure it out but it’s not actually difficult. I used safety pins to pick up all the live stitches, then crocheted it all back together.

6 Likes

This reminds me that I have 2 afghans to mend like this and haven’t gotten my act together. I should pull them out tonight and have them ready for tomorrow’s “Sunday Mumday” (On Sundays I lie to myself that I get to do what I want and not just what everyone else needs lol. I wander around replying, “Sunday Mumday!” when anyone asks me to do something. I still feed them and stuff though, lol).

4 Likes

Wow, I have not kept up with the monthly challenges…,

I have done some mending lately. I found a few more small holes in a shirt and actually managed to mend one of them during a teams meeting.

Darning with black thread on black fabric is not easy, but if I can’t see what I’m doing no one is going to be able to see any mistakes either.

2 Likes

Just a little reminder as we head into the holidays: please don’t forget LC this year! We enjoy this place for all the fun swaps, inspirational craftalongs, and incredible inspirations. We have formed some lasting and amazing friendships. And we have done it cost-free. Please think about giving to show your support and love for this great community! Let’s keep this Craftalong going for years to come!

2 Likes

I did something!
Recently I got 2 little mending looms. I found a hole in the striped blanket I made for my Kidlet and figured it was as good as any s project to learn on. It is as much a hot mess as most firsts are, but it should keep it from unraveling. I chose to use the yarn from the blanket, but I kind of wish i had gone for a drastically different one. Ah well.

7 Likes

Terrible Housekeeper tip #101:

Let the mending pile sit untouched so long that when you go to clean around it the dust is such that you feel it best to toss it all in the wash “just to be safe”

There, now the mending basket is empty!

6 Likes

#lifehack

Moths eating the mending pile will also take a chunk out of it, theoretically.

3 Likes

Oh yes. And mice. Let’s not forget Scurry McBrazen and his band of nibblers.

I really gotta just intentionally make time for things. That’s on the Winter Agenda.

3 Likes

Yesterday I actually tossed out a bag of not-gonna-mend clothes and fabric for patching that isn’t actually good for that along with 4 “not worth darning” socks(I think we all know I need fewer problem socks in this house! Lol).
Then today I mended: tears in a sweater, a turtleneck, a costume hood thing, a skirt and put a button on a dress and all of these are now out of the dining room and back in rotation.

I still have 2 afghans, a beheaded cabbage patch kid, 2 cloth napkins, a bed skirt, a chair cushion, a stained Tshirt I thought I might salvage with an embellishment, and my Irish knit pull over.

But, progress !

Currently: sweater on the mending docket:

This poor sweater.

8 Likes

Moved two more items out of the dining room mending heap:
This cushion had popped all the shaping stitches and was an unusable ball of stuffing:l

And this med kit bag has too much asked of it. Hopefully this helps:

9 Likes

You have done lots of mending this year! :smiley:

I have thought of mending but didnt get any done. Other than a pile full of stuff with holes in them! :joy: Oh well, they will be in their pile, and I will try next year! :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m working on decluttering the house in general so I have been trying to be intentional about going to the mending pile and working on things more frequently.
Kind of like how buying yarn is a separate hobby from actually knitting or crocheting it, the hoarding of things needing mending wasn’t being connected to actually mending anything. I might set a spot in my week that is meant for looking at the mending pile so that my diningroom doesn’t look like a fix-it shop all year. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One more from the pile and back where he belongs:

5 Likes

I mended my Christmas sweater today. It had some holes on the cuff. I don’t know what I do with my right arm… so far I have three mended places on that cuff. Two of them made tonight.

6 Likes

I put on my Christmas dress on Boxing Day, straight from the washing machine, only to be laughed at by my guests :laughing: turns out a thread broke in the back seam and there was a big hole. It’s a simple repair, so I decided to fix it rightaway instead of putting it on top of the pile. It’s back in the closet now!

5 Likes

Today I tackled a blanket that has had years long waits in the mending pile. I don’t want to say 5 years, but I feel like it was before my kid was born and she’s 5 and 3 months so… holy mending procrastination, Batman!

That clears one whole tote bag from the diningroom mending heap. I have another crochet afghan and a couple of hats left I think. And my husband just brought me a backpack in need of reinforcements.

It never ends. Lol

12 Likes

Wow…I really need to learn how to repair granny squares! The best I have been able to do is catch the stitches before they unravel…and it is really ugly! Did you follow a tutorial? It looks great!

2 Likes

Thank you! I wandered down the rabbit hole for ages but just decided to follow one and go yesterday. This one was very clear, and I liked the voice which helps.

6 Likes