Sustainable mend and maintain-along ♻️

These look like jeans that people pay a lot of money for new in the store. Your son may start a new fashion trend at the school.

2 Likes

I love the unsexy mends!

2 Likes

Quick and dirty:

I keep ripping this seam when taking this top off. It’s a combination of the seam being the least stretchy part of the knit garment, and me having to pull on the garment in weird ways because of the (lack of) range of motion in my shoulders.

New mend in light grey yarn, and an old one in white thread. After inspecting the seam I had to mend another tiny hole on the other side.

Good to go again! I love this garment to bits. It’s got a really weird fibre blend (viscose, lambs wool, polyamide, cotton, cashmere, angora, and also a silk trim just to go completely over the top), but it’s very comfy and cosy.

8 Likes

Another zipper repair for me this week. This time it’s my husband’s work backpack. This outer pocket is where he prefers to keep his wallet and keys. I thought I might have to replace the zipper, but after inspecting the area, I realized I could just stitch the zipper teeth back on to their cloth base. Yay for me. Only took me 10 min to complete. Now on to the next item.

10 Likes

Not the prettiest of repairs, but enough to save this king size bottom sheet to see a few more nights!

This is toward the bottom of the sheet. I turned it to the top so it will be under the pillow. I have been pretty good at rotating my bottom sheet and the mattress pad to help them wear evenly, but, when sheets are 20 years old, this still happens. I sure got my money’s worth with this set, so I won’t feel badly about recycling the good parts for other things…or maybe even make a couple of extra pillowcases!

I also sewed a seam on my weararoundthehouse hooded sweatshirt while I had the light grey thread on the machine.

Two repairs done!

8 Likes

:seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face:

HEY EV-ERY-BODY! It’s time to vote in the Spring Is In The Air Challenge! Get on over there before the poll closes on March 27, 2023!

2 Likes

This video is the best sweater mend I have ever seen.

2 Likes

I would be to scared to pick out the extra stitches like she did. But so insightful.

2 Likes

Grafting is magic… I’ve never tried weaving in ends from the right side like that. I usually just start with a few duplicate stitches, but ripping out a few more stitches to get ends to weave in makes sense!

3 Likes

Not sure if this is where I can ask a question or not, I’m not really a craft person but was hoping someone has dealt with the issue confronting me. I want to glue felt to a hard board. The problem is that the felt will be covered with pinback buttons and will be framed for a wall hanging There will be some weight involved with this project. Being a guy, tried to cut the felt oversized and used a lot of duct tape, which failed after a few months. I have Gorilla Glue and something called Suxun B-7000. I also have a cheap glue gun. Has anyone had any experience with such a project or have an idea which adhesive would work best? I appreciate any help you can provide to me.

2 Likes

Hey, @ronman! Welcome!

Anytime you have fabric, which is absorbent, and need to have it stick to a harder surface or to other fabric, the glue has to be a strong “gloopy” glue. I have had the best luck using either E6000 or Fabric Fusion glue. E6000 pretty much stick to anything but the drying time is a bit long…use a silicon make up brush ($1 or so at the dollar store) to spread it on the board and let it sit for a minute or so to get really tacky. E6000 can be found cheapest at most hardware stores. Ace hardware has its own brand which is even cheaper!

E6000 on Amazon

Fabric Fusion is really thick and is not quite as easily absorbed by the fabric…it is also flexible and washable. Doesn’t sound like you would need this one.

4 Likes

Or fusible webbing could be ironed on with a piece of something less absorbant on top of it, tissue paper even?
It would help to see photos of your item to best figure out a solution.

1 Like

Oh, hey there.

All you craftalong-ers check out the Peek Behind The Curtains Challenge! You don’t need to make something new to join in, you just have to (finally) share the things you’ve made already! WHAT!?

1 Like

Nice!

I’m trying to fix my winter boots since the lining fabric was so worn the padding was coming out. I have no idea what I’m doing… :joy:

The patch will make it more functional than before at least.

2 Likes

That would have been a neat fix! I just cut some patches in stretchy fabric and sewed them on to the best of my ability. I cut away the loose bits of liner fabric first.

There are still worn bits, but I needed to wear them today. I got the worst heel done, and one side of the other.

7 Likes

Not if you use fabric glue…it remains flexible and squishy all the time…I use Fabric Fusion.

But, that being said, I still think sewing is the best for hard worn areas…it will last longer and be more secure…great job…love the pop of color that you gave your boot, @Annchen !

2 Likes

Agree…I won’t use glue for areas of stress or for most clothing either unless it is temporary. Decorative items like the fabric pine cones I make are fine.

lol I made fabric shoes years ago with denim bottoms…I loved those shoes for around the house but they wore out quickly. Thanks for the reminder…that would be a nice project to use up some of my fun prints! Get yours done to show them off!

2 Likes

Car craft, small but mighty mends.

10 Likes

go you!

1 Like

I was considering figuring out how to have a large dye vat to freshen up some of our bath towels and realized that even our youngest bath towels will be 10 years old next month so mayyyyybe, it was OK for me to get new bath towels. We already have SO_MANY_RAGS that are in plenty good-enough shape for their jobs, so I decided to hem and or zig-zag the starting-to-fray edges of the offending bath towels and a few hot tub towels so I can confidently donate them to the local animal shelter. They will get the full measure of the rest of useful life of these! WOO!

6 Likes