Sustainable mend and maintain-along ♻️

Depends on if it needs washing. Unless it’s stained you might get away with just airing it out since wool really doesn’t need washing in water unless it’s filthy.

Washing a garment can reveal more holes, and I guess that can be both a pro and a con…

3 Likes

Looks like I have a prime candidate for my first mend of the year. I’ve already used a crochet hook to catch a stitch that wanted to run. Looks like I can get away without using any guide threads. There is just one broken thread/one row with stitches missing.

Edit:

Pretty neat I think! Some stitches were hanging on by a thread, so I ended up reinforcing 4 rows with duplicate stitches. I’m so glad my mother in law gave me what was left of the yarn when she gave me the sweater! This is the second near invisible mend, and I can keep enjoying it.

11 Likes

Great save!

3 Likes

Beautiful knit…definitely worth saving!

3 Likes

This totally validates for me the act of sending along leftover yarn from projects when I gift them. Sometimes I feel like I’m taking advantage of a lazy destash opportunity. Your mend looks great!

4 Likes

It helps a lot if or when I need to mend something! Less hunting around if it’s a special colourway or a yarn type I don’t have in my stash.

While I was at it yesterday I fixed my shawl too. I had a bit left over after knitting it. It’s a bit of a messy mend, but if I can’t see what I’m doing, no one else is going to know… I used a crochet hook to rebuild a couple rows of stitches and then winged it. It’s untreated wool so it’ll probably felt together a bit as I’m using it.

The texture from wearing it a lot is great, but it made it hard to see individual stitches for a duplicate stitch mend.

9 Likes

Ahh, some birthday love :sparkling_heart:

Not sure what the latch hook is for but I’m looking forward to trying it out!

12 Likes

latch hook is your shuttle-- weave it thru from the side you’re going to, grab the yarn with it, & pull it back thru. (I’m not sure why that’s better than using a needle.)

3 Likes

Wait, is your b’day today? Again?! Didnt we just do birthdays? My internal calendar is all kinds of not right. Lol

Happy birthday, friend!

2 Likes

But for fabric, wouldn’t you want to anchor the sides down as well? Maybe the latch is for knitted stuff?

In the video above,she takes a tiny stitch after every row.

1 Like

Ya, I don’t get the hook. It came with about a dozen blunt tipped needles too. Those would only work if it was a knit thing, like socks. For wovens I will use a sharp & weave with the eye so side stitches are possible.
Yes, me, Elvis, Bowie & my uncle are today :slight_smile:
I have that setting turned off here. Because.

2 Likes

I just told kidlet (who is still in pj’s with wild unbrushed waist-length hair) that “Today is Magpie’s birthday.” And she leapt from her seat and squealed, “WE CAN DO AN IRISH JIG FOR HER!!”

So. There ya go, an exuberant jig has been done in your honor. Lol

5 Likes

I love it! Tell her she is the most awesome!

2 Likes

I’ve got loom envy!

1 Like

Y’all - I’m so excited! My church just announced that they’re starting a rosary repair club that meets monthly to repair rosaries for other parishioners and teach people to make rosaries!

7 Likes

What!? How fortuitous!

2 Likes

I know, right?! It’ll be a great opportunity to mend things, help out my community, socialize, and maybe destash a bit. :heart:

4 Likes

This video shows how to use that mini weaving loom to make a heart shaped patch! I can imagine from that how to do an oval or circle too, how fun!

4 Likes

I started 2023 by mending a very worn lap quilt for my SIL. I took a pic mid mend, but she dropped by and picked up the final before I took a picture. Oh well. Replaced shredded squares by just hand sewing patches over them and then added a strip over the orange frame as it was frayed in a number of places, and added new binding all around. Came out nice. Pic is mid mend. See the new squares? I covered up about a quarter of the most worn squares.
Oh, and a mend in a hat, again I forgot the pictures. New Year’s resolution…document things.

9 Likes

Wow… starting to work again really killed my mending mojo :sweat_smile:

I want to figure out how to mend a few tank tops in a thin ribbed machine knit. It’s cotton/silk and there are a few tiny holes on the front. The cats are prime suspect. They can be enthusiastic cuddlers.

2 Likes