Sustainable mend and maintain-along ♻️

Maybe some color-on-color scattering of tiny flowers to cover the holes. Like dandelion fluff or baby’s breath. Very subtle. It’s difficult on ribbed knit. But an almost not there flower might work.

3 Likes

I’m midway through mending and maintaining the winch that operates our snow plow. It needs a new cable and installing it is turning out to be rather a booger.

10 Likes

Noticed a tiny hole in my beloved SkinGraft sweater coat that I SPURGED on 5-6 years ago and i did a little fix. Is it visible? Yes! Do I care? NOPE. Its in a spot only I would ever notice.

“Fix”

Upclose before

Outaide Before

5 Likes

The dog was upset we were gone most of the day yesterday. He told us all about his feelings by attacking “Squidy”.

Luckily the huge rip was straight, which made it a lot easier. I had already started sewing in this pick. The rip started where my top finger is.

All done!

Now he just needs a thorough cleaning!

I feel like it’s a super power when I sew up stuffed animals. My 5yo doesn’t even get upset! “It’s okay, mom can fix it!” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Enjoy your super powers!

Then they get to be teens…oh my!

Then they turn 20 and start to speak in full sentences again and sometimes even ask advice and you become Super Mom again!

Very nice repairs. Now it looks like it should be there.

6 Likes

My son hasn’t got any more pants without tears so needed to mend at least a few. Here’s my very amateurish mending for now. I’m sure it won’t survive long so in summer I’ll just turn them into shorts

12 Likes

Visiting family with a sewing machine tomorrow, so I’m gathering things to mend today! One good thing about living without a machine / supplies temporarily is that you need to be very efficient when you have the opportunity. No more letting things languish in the mending basket for months!

5 Likes

Hey-ho mending crew! There’s a new badge for the fixers of all things!

Lettuce Craft has six distinct categories for crafting and some of our most adventurous crafters have journeyed onto all of these boards. They are our Crafty Chameleons!

If you have posted 3 or more projects to each of the crafting categories:
Art
Home & Garden
Fashion & Wearables
Fiber & Textiles
Food & Drink
Paper & Vinyl Crafts

Send a message to @ moderators along with the links to your projects to claim your badge and have it activated!

3 Likes

I finally just bit the bullet and brought my 23 year old wool blend sweater to the drycleaners to ger her ready for some ling overdue mending. And in the meantime, another pair of fairy wings needed gluing:

The flower and leaves had come undone and i’m tired of moving it around the dining room to get to other clutter, uh, stuff. Other stuff.

9 Likes

Oops… I forgot about the February challenge, but I did add one for March.

5 Likes

Are you going to try this months challenge?

6 Likes

Yes! I have some projects that as quick to do, I just need to sit down and do them! :smiley:

5 Likes

I totally missed this thread thanks @AntBee For pointing me here. I’ve just made this post on turning a favourite sheet sides to middle.

4 Likes

Not a sexy project, but needing to be done none the less, :joy::

This is a filter bag for my MIL’s pool filter machine. It’s one of those machines that rolls around the bottom of the pool and sucks up debris. When I was at her house a couple of weeks ago, she was commenting about purchasing a new one because the zipper that opens the collection area wouldn’t work anymore. I told her I would try to replace the zipper first.
As it turned out, I didn’t need to replace the zipper. There was some micro sized debris caught in the zipper pull and imbedded in the zipper. A little dishwashing soap cleared that. Then I noticed that the zipper pull slipped off the end. I put some messy but adequate stitches there, and voila, works good as new.

8 Likes

Amazing how sometimes the littlest mend works! I am always shocked at how many people toss things that just need a few stitches or even some good glue!

Good save!!!

4 Likes

My also not-sexy mend of the day:

Do not look too closely, they are horrendously amateur and no, no one is allowed to see the back lol

9 Likes

Ooh, but the I like that the thread matches the burgundy/red color in the plaid. :100:

2 Likes

These look like jeans that people pay a lot of money for new in the store. Your son may start a new fashion trend at the school.

2 Likes

I love the unsexy mends!

2 Likes

Quick and dirty:

I keep ripping this seam when taking this top off. It’s a combination of the seam being the least stretchy part of the knit garment, and me having to pull on the garment in weird ways because of the (lack of) range of motion in my shoulders.

New mend in light grey yarn, and an old one in white thread. After inspecting the seam I had to mend another tiny hole on the other side.

Good to go again! I love this garment to bits. It’s got a really weird fibre blend (viscose, lambs wool, polyamide, cotton, cashmere, angora, and also a silk trim just to go completely over the top), but it’s very comfy and cosy.

8 Likes