3D printed romance

My printer is having problems (I suspect it’s the rain; the filament gets fussy in humid weather), so I’m finishing up the many, many pieces that have been waiting for just one or two more tweaks.

These two went from plain jane to vintage romance with the aid of paint, wrapping paper, scallop scissors, gold pen, and embroidery floss (thanks for the tassel idea, @Bunny1kenobi !)

Here’s a before shot:

21 Likes

Truly astonishing.

1 Like

Amazing! Super duper awesome!

1 Like

Here are a couple more cabinets from the same file, but more rustic than romantic.

The blue one is the same cabinet I tagged as a “before” picture above. Printer issues left parts of it full of holes, so I painted it with a mix of tacky glue and paint to add strength and smoothness. Despite that, the legs broke when I dropped it. I could print a new base, or just leave it simple.

The brown one makes me think of Cinderella for some reason.

These two are taller than the others; I decided I wanted something more petit.

In case you’re wondering, this cabinet prints in three pieces; the case (the shelves print in place), the door, which gets hinged with pins, and the base with legs.

6 Likes

So charming in all their finishes! The ivory and gold with the pink paper reminds me of my little girl bedroom.

2 Likes

These are all fabulous!!! Beautiful finishes!

1 Like

They are all so lovely! I know next to nothing about 3D printers. Do they take a lot of filamemt to make and how long does it take your printer to cut these?

1 Like

Thanks, y’all

This design takes about 4-1/2 hours to print, and 37 grams of filament, which costs about 75¢.
It’s taken maybe 30 hours to get the design for this one cabinet where I want it (I even figured out how to make it leave 1mm holes in the door and frame for the pin hinge).
Post printing time varies a lot; all get hinged and the base glued on; some just get painted, others get lots more.

The printer doesn’t cut like a laser, it melts the filament and builds it up–kind of like a hot glue gun.

1 Like

:rainbow: Hot diggity dog! Your project is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :dog2:

1 Like

:heartbeat::two_hearts::yellow_heart::purple_heart::sparkling_heart::heartpulse::blue_heart::heart_decoration::revolving_hearts::gift_heart::green_heart:!

1 Like

These are all great and I love how the paint job changes the personality of the piece so much.

2 Likes

Beautiful work! I love the way you decorate them - so detailed!

1 Like

I love the details and finishes that you do on your miniature pieces…the cream one is just the best!

1 Like

Good news! I finally have my printer working again!
In the meanwhile, I designed a bunch of new pieces–a pirate’s chest, Welsh dresser, china cabinet, and more–and am printing first drafts.

1 Like

Yay! Can’t wait to see them!

1 Like