80 year old Finish

My dad’s wife hired me to finish a quilt her mom pieced approximately 80 years ago. It has many rough areas which required patching and mending. In hindsight, I wish I had quilted on the diagonal so it covered the seams but too late now. Several places came apart while I sewed so had to do additional mending after it was finished. The backing fabric is new. I don’t think this quilt will hold up to much use or washing.

Back to show the quilting

Closeups to show the fabrics and true colours

30 Likes

It’s just lovely, Cindy. Well worth the effort to give it new life. Well done!

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

That was so much work, good on you for taking on a labor of love to bring the quilt to its full potential. If it can’t be used much as a blanket it would make a really beautiful wall hanging to cozy up a large wall space.

3 Likes

Yay for an extended WIP finish! Well done!

2 Likes

beautiful job!

My grandmother took on the job of repairing a pre civil war, all-silk log cabin quilt, to be raffled by her women’s club. She spent hours on it, replacing many pieces and the entire back. She absolutely hated it by the time she finished, and was happy to get it out of her life. Of course, she won the raffle.
I had the quilt for many years, and fixed some bits, then passed it to my niece about 20 years ago. It’s about 160 years old now, and still prized.

10 Likes

What a generous use of your time and skillset. I hope your dad & his wife is appropriately appreciative. And I hope that it gets to live a life in the light and not in a closet or chest.

5 Likes

She took it out of her chest to have me finish it and plans to use it herself or give it to her daughter.

4 Likes

That’s kind of funny

3 Likes

Sounds like it was a challenging project. Well done; it looks great!

2 Likes

You did a great job. It turned out so nice.

2 Likes

The fact that you took on such a challenge is amazing of you. I can only imagine how much this means to hear. It turned out beautifully and you know it will be loved.

1 Like

Thank you, there were moments I wondered why I said yes but hearing my dad say thank you on the phone yesterday was worth it (not something that happens often)

6 Likes

Love the fabrics and the story. It looks great!

1 Like

:horse: YEEHAW! Your fantastic craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

A true labor of love - good job, and I am glad you are now finished! I hope you treat yourself to a nice happy fun project next!

1 Like

That is exactly my plan … bugs are next :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s beautiful! I love that’s it’s now going to be passed down to the next generation. It’s a true family heirloom.

1 Like