A very special lap quilt - In memory

I started this quilt for my 93-year-old mother to replace a too small and not very pretty lap quilt. So I raided her fabric stash (an amazing store of unfortunately mainly non-cotton fabrics), and took 1/2 yard pieces. I fly to Nebraska about once a year to see her and that’s what fit in the suitcase. Through the spring and summer, I pieced together some bright blocks to showcase some of her fabric, and some of mine. My plan was to finish up the quilt before it got cool in the fall. But unfortunately, she passes away in early August. So I am finishing it up for my sister who spent so much time visiting, cheering her up, shopping, and just making her happy.
It’s hand-tied, which was a first for me, and here it is. I’ll be returning in Sept to help with clearing out the house so I’ll get to hand deliver. It still makes me cry.

31 Likes

It is lovely in so many different ways. :heart:

1 Like

It really is the best sort of generational story wuilt. Absolutely lovely journey, thanks for sharing it here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you lost your mom. This quilt is so charming and the story of the fabrics so lovely that I am sure she would have taken much more comfort from it than just the warmth it gives. I am sure your sister will absolutely love it.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your mom passing. You made her a lovely quilt. Your sister will surely love it as well.

1 Like

It is beautiful in every way possible. I love that it is a juxtaposition of old and new fabrics.

(((((Hugs))))) to you and yours; so sorry your mom passed before you were able to present this special gift to her.

I know your sister will treasure this quilt.

2 Likes

I’m sure it is hard that something you’d planned to be used in life turned into an expression of grief, but it is lovely and I’m sure will be treasured just the same, or perhaps more so for the circumstances. I can see your mom’s fabrics translated through your creative style in this piece!

2 Likes

The quilt is beautiful and I am sure your sister will treasure it. I am so sorry to hear about your moms passing.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss my friend. But I’m glad your sister will get such a wonderful reminder of your mom.

1 Like

Beautiful, and sad to hear of your mom’s passing.
What great memories are contained in this quilt

1 Like

I admit I shed a tear or two reading this. It’s clear that your family has a loving bond. This quilt will be a treasured source of good memories.

2 Likes

I am so sorry. This is such a lovely piece and a perfect bit of memory to wrap around oneself. :heart:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mom. The quilt is beautiful. Hugs

2 Likes

:star_struck: :boom: This awesome project is featured this week! :boom: :star_struck:

You always make such cozy looking quilts! I’m so sorry about your mom. I think it’s lovely that you finished this quilt for your sister. What a wonderful way for her to literally snuggle up with memories of your mother. :heart: :heart: :heart:

PS - That blue and yellow cat block is my favorite!

Thank you Lettuce Craft!

@AudiobookLover I wanted things and patterns she could look at as she cozied up. She would position the old ugly gift lap quilt so she could see the only block she liked :stuck_out_tongue:. This one would have given her so much enjoyment.

2 Likes