Absurdly Large Triceratops

I am doing a weaving project with a vintage metal Lily SpeedOWeave, and really bulky yarn is not something I have a lot of in my stash, so I took advantage of a sale at Joann’s and grabbed some Lion T&Q. While I was at it, I also grabbed some Bernat Blanket to try. I had never used it, and quickly learned that a ) It would NOT work on the loom, and b ) I sorta hated it. (I really need to remind myself at any shopping trip that I hate almost every chenille-type yarn ever made.)

But I had three large skeins of the stuff. And I am never short of wild hairs. So I made this:

He is missing a tail and is a little patchworky because I was NOT going to buy more of this stuff so I really just made do with colors for the most part. I literally have just a handful of yarn left. His head is 1ft in diameter and sitting he is 2ft tall.

I used a worsted weight amigurumi pattern from Nicole Chase. I did make a couple of small changes to accommodate the huge yarn. (Everything started with 6sc into a magic circle and then 2sc into each, but in the huge scale this turned out conical rather than flat. Which worked for his nose and horns, but I adjusted it to 9sc in a magic circle, the 2sc into 1sc, 1sc into next 2 for the feet and body and it was much better.)
https://www.thenicolechase.com/patterns/tanner-the-triceratops

28 Likes

I love it! I am seeing more amigurumi made with that yarn. It’s such a cute trend.

2 Likes

He looks so squeezable and like an excellent cuddle buddy!

3 Likes

He is so cute :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

His head and limbs are super squishy, and his body is squishy but weighted because I ran out of polyfil and used some acrylic roving yarn to stuff him. It worked out great, because he sits really well, and is good for leaning against but is also super cuddly. My (adult) kid has carried him around like a toddler a good part of the morning. He hugs really nice. :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s so fluffy!!!

3 Likes

He’s awesome!

2 Likes

Soooo cute !
Ps, totally agree on chenille yarn. Those balls of yarn are only good as squizeballs ( you know, those you mash in your hand to avoid hurting a idiot )

2 Likes

In my head I named her No-Tail Trixie, and I love her. I Love how big she is, and I bet she is so soft, I can practically feel her. You might hate chenille yarn, but I secretly hope you use it more often and share the results.

3 Likes

Translation: @gozer is coveting your Triceratops. As are we all.

SO CUTE!!

3 Likes

Yes. LOL! Also, I love that she doesn’t have a tail. She couldn’t hang out on the couch as easily with a tail.

2 Likes

Adorable! I am sure so soft and squishy as well! I also belong to the club of buying chenille then recalling why I should never buy chenille!!! You are not alone!

1 Like

The chair doesn’t give a true sense of his size, so my kid let me take a pic so you can see how really very absurd he is. Not much smaller than our full-grown German shepherd.

Also, I’m so glad I’m not alone in hating chenille yarns. They are SO popular and every once in a while I think I must be missing something, and quickly (but not quickly enough to save the money…) learn I am not. Lol

4 Likes

I was in love with this when I didnt have a true sense of scale. And seeing him stretched out.
I fainted from glee.

I love dinosaurs.

4 Likes

Congrats! Your triceratops is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome! :tada:

1 Like

I agree that chenille yarn is awful to work with but your triceratops is adorable, I think the patchy colors really add to the cuteness.

1 Like