Acrylic portrait

I don’t spend a lot of time drawing or painting but when I do I tend to gravitate towards musicians as I really like the way a lot of photographs capture the dynamic energy in their facial expressions or movement on stage.

I’m a huge Soundgarden fan and like most fans was devastated when the band’s singer, Chris Cornell, died during a tour in May’17. He had struggled with depression for the majority of his life and, yeah, I guess he was done with the struggle.

Anyway, I came across an old Soundgarden article and photo shoot from a music magazine from the '90s and the pictures inspired me to pull out the paints. This is an acrylic painting of Chris Cornell on canvas board.

20 Likes

You really captured the soul in his eyes. Love it.

2 Likes

This is really great, I like how you got so much emotion with such a limited color palette.

We were at Memphis in May in 2017, and they were playing next. We were tired, so the hubby and I were like, well they are going to be in town within a month, we’ll go see them and see the whole show… and then, well, tragedy happened. Really regret not staying another hour to enjoy their show and seeing him live. Devastated about the circumstances :frowning:

3 Likes

Great job capturing the singer’s likeness - portraits are so tricky but yours turned out fantastic!

3 Likes

This is absolutely beautiful!!!

2 Likes

I agree with MM. Great job on the eyes.

2 Likes

Fantastic piece!

2 Likes

Hauntingly beautiful work