AIMR 's Adventures in Theater Costumes

Hahaha! That jacket alteration does look fiddly, but you did a beautiful job!

2 Likes

She gave it to me to do because this is one of hers that she can rent out to other plays. She knows I am still learning the rough “short cuts”, but wanted this one to be tailored properly. I did not trim the darts or cut ANYTHING in any of the pieces…the next person might be bigger and need the whole thing taken out…yikes…I can’t imagine just undoing your work every few plays or so, but, with budgets so tight, time is all they have to work with, not money to get new things!

4 Likes

That jacket reminds me of a polar bear jacket my dad had when we lived in northern Canada. Sadly the mice got to it when he moved south.

1 Like

I think it is polar bear, which makes sense for the play since Perry was at the North Pole…but, the skin has dried out badly and is starting to disintegrate. I used some wool felt to stabilize what I could, but I have a feeling it is going to have to be trashed after the show…new holes are showing up faster than they can be repaired.

1 Like

My husband was in Ragtime and I was in the audience before I even knew him! :heart: Costumes are definitely different than everyday wearable clothes, especially when you have to account for quick changes! So fun to see what you’ve been working on :+1: :performing_arts:

2 Likes

The costumer director really knows her period clothing, but, even though she has a huge inventory, sometimes you just can’t find something for people of certain size or height, etc. She has people adjusting more modern clothing by changing lapels, hem lengths, etc. Even the prints of fabric have to look authentic to the audience.

I just got asked to make a waistcoat/vest…I had no idea vests changed styles over the years…she was very specific in how many buttons, the angle of the point, the size of the lapels, and the fabric. I am learning a lot!

7 Likes

First, the good news…the lead male vocalist came into town Friday to get his fittings. He loved the linen coat and the 42 I made fit him perfectly! No alterations! He said he wanted to buy it after the show! I was so happy as was the costume designer! YAY!

But, it does mean I will have to make another 42 for another actor who is about the same size. Working on the two larger coats today. First dress rehearsal is June 19, so plenty of time, right? ha

Inbetween, I have been helping with simpler projects and alterations:

1. Hemmed red pants
  2. Hemmed two red skirts
  3. Took in one red skirt
  4. Made a new red skirt

My sewing area is covered in red thread and fabrics!!

8 Likes

Wow! I can’t wait to see future posts here! You’re so talented!

2 Likes

woohoo!!

2 Likes

Everyday is a sewing day!

1. Hemmed pants; added suspender/braces buttons
  2. Shortened skirt and reduced waist

Going to the theater today to work on the final coat pattern. I am sure I will be picking up more alterations. We have about 200 pieces to get done by June 19. Since I have three coats to complete from start to finish, I am given only a few alterations to keep from getting bored.

Some of the volunteers do 10 or more a day!

11 Likes

One of the actors in Ragtime is a really large young man with the most beautiful voice. He has been cast in many musicals and is well known throughout our state. He is a challenge to costume because of his size. I have apparently been selected as his personal costume maker.

So far, I have hemmed pants and made suspenders for him. I am also making him two coats.
I took an old, long women’s size 30 vest and shortened it. I used the fabric to add additional room along the sides. This was a tough one since there was no extra fabric so my math had to be right the first time!

You can see that the back is way shorter so I tapered both front and back to get a waistcoat shape.

I made a little vent in back to give a squige of extra room and because of the style. Secret: the open seam is glued up and stitched.

11 Likes

These are really fun challenges with creative solutions, must feel amazing to work on. I love seeing it all, Linda. Thanks so much for sharing!

5 Likes

Thanks…yes, it is challenging for me because of the speed sewing and deadlines for fittings, etc. in such a short period of time. I would not like being the head costumer who is responsible for it all! So many plates spinning all at once, but it does seem to come together…she has been doing it for 39 years! The woman is amazing and must love it because she is 75 and could easily retire!

I have never done so much “ugly” sewing, ha ha…that is the hard part for me since I want to sew it “perfectly”…

7 Likes

All your sewing adventures are so fascinating to see! I can imagine the ‘ugly’ sewing is hard for you, but you are getting so much done within this tight time frame, it’s amazing!

4 Likes

Perks! I am going to go see The Chinese Lady tomorrow with some of the costume/wardrobe people! I helped another costume designer hem up a dress used in the play so she comped me a ticket!

Cut out the last two coats this afternoon and met another member of the alterations team.

Two weeks to go!

8 Likes

The Chinese Lady was a very thought provoking play. It was well done with just two actors and a very simple set.

I was introduced to the director and the actors as well as the producer of the play. It was flattering because they had heard of me in advance because the other costume designer had already told them about me! It was a thrill to see the costume that I worked on worn by the actress! She looked beautiful!

I also met so many other theater people from our town and will probably see most of them again at other shows. What an adventure!

8 Likes

That’s so awesome!! I love this. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Sounds like you are inhabiting a whole new exciting world! Bet you’ll attend many more plays and meet many fascinating people. What an adventure! Thanks for giving us a glimpse of backstage life.

1 Like

I wanted to share this because it shows how much this community has elevated my life…

I needed a black small bag to take my phone and wallet to the theater. All I had was my brown crossbody bag that was a bit too ratty and the wrong color to match what I wanted to wear.

To the rescue…a pouch made by @jemimah years ago! I attached a couple of clear rings to it and used a strap from a larger bag! Perfect!

Thank you, @jemimah , for making my outfit for a night out perfect!

11 Likes

Oh, that’s pretty. Nice wallet too!

These adventures sound marvelous! Good for you Linda, getting out there & sharing creativity on so many levels. I love these stories.

4 Likes