Ami Book Challenge January Entry: Bee!

I just posted my February entry to the #AmiBookChallenge (which I’ve joined on Instagram: making a new ami every month from a book I already own), but realized that I forgot to ever post my January entry! I started off the year, of course, with one of my favorite books: Animal Friends of Pica Pau 2. This designer is one of my absolute favorites, and I learned a lot of my ami skills from her patterns!

Anyway, this time I made a tiny bee, using much smaller yarn than I have in the past for her patterns. It was also a bit of a challenge because it was recycled yarn; I love the tweed pattern, but the yarn tends to break if you pull hard at all, making it difficult to close up magic circles nicely. Also, I couldn’t fit the studs of even my smallest safety eyes through the stitches, so I ended up using my off-brand Bedazzler to put some rhinestone eyes on instead.

I never got any photos in daylight because the morning after I finished this, I left it on a coworker’s desk as a gift. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Oops! If she still has it on her desk, maybe I can get a better photo later. I’ve been making so many amis lately that I’m just giving them away to friends a lot of the time because I don’t have space for more.

17 Likes

The shoes! Squee!

2 Likes

Very cute & super weird, how fun!

1 Like

I absolutely adore this! :honeybee:

1 Like

So cute, of course! The diamond patterns on the body look very nice and can’t have been easy to do. The quirky “hair” on top of the head is awesome! And the eyes work very well.

1 Like

The rhinestone eyes work for this little guy. It’s very cute. Can we see the back? I am curious about the wings.

2 Likes

I’ll try to get a photo tomorrow if it’s still at the office! XD

1 Like

Oh my giggles! What a cutie! Great save on the eyes - faceted rhinestones really work for an insects compound eyes, too.

3 Likes

Super cute! Love his scarf and shoes.

1 Like

The eyes! The wee shoes! Adorable! I’m also curious about the wings…!

1 Like

Just got a few photos from other angles:

2 Likes

@gozer @Bunny1kenobi you can see the back now!

1 Like

Oh my goodness. I was curious about the wings, but that bee butt was worth it!

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, bee butt for the win!

1 Like