Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

I did something a bit different from the video we watched, but I’m very happy with how it turned out.

I didn’t like the process of it but I just said “Trust the process.” Which is what my mom tells me all the time.

It’s not finished yet but I wanted to show it now. I didn’t do the alien girl instead I did a Muslim woman with her hijab as the hair. I don’t know what inspired me to do this but I wanted to try something different, so here it is.

Here’s the background. It turned out bad in the start but at the end it worked out.

This is the person I drew I really love them!!

This is what it looks like together. I’m really happy with the ending project I just need to glue it down.

I had lots of fun and hope to do this again! :grin:

9 Likes

Beautiful!! I love your woman. Wonderful, the places inspiration takes us…

And I love all the different elements in your background. So much to look at!

2 Likes

I also have to learn to trust the process…and I love that you drew your person separately…that is a good tip to try since I am learning to draw faces!

2 Likes

I think they are beautiful & serene, the face looks deep in thoughtful meditation.

1 Like

It’s only 5am here -the first thing I wanted to look at this morning is all the wonderful art you guys made!

@AIMR - those delicate greens and purples are so moody and beautiful! That face is intense - I especially like how you did the nose and mouth, and the deep contrast in the eyes really makes it stand out.

@geekgirl - Wow, she’s fierce! The depth of colour you got with the paint gives a lot of impact. Your stylised take on the hair is so cool and graphic!

@Abbeeroad - That collaged face looks great - nice work, especially on the nose. I love that Alisa Burke background, it gives the piece so much interest and depth. And, just going back to your alien face again, I especially love the wonderful shifting colours in the face and that glorious textured background - beautiful.

@Pigeon - I love how you took a different direction! All the background layers look organic and weathered, and make a great contrast with the smooth paint on the face and veil. The face has a wonderful meditative feel - fantastic.

@Magpie, @Edel, @LuckyXIIICreations, @Bel - I hope you’ll still be able to join next session and/or post what you create on your own, it would be fantastic to see what you make too!

I also had trouble with the coloured pencils not drawing on some of the acrylic paint. I painted some matte gel medium over the bits I was having trouble with, and that worked OK to draw on. It was tricky to build up enough pigment though, and I used black and white paint on the eye to get enough colour.

4 Likes

I love what you did with the face! Very creative.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it was planned, but she looks like she is wearing a head scarf and it’s really well done. I love the shading technique. Great works, @Pigeon.

@Abbeeroad - the left looks like a dream explosion!

@geekgirl the black hair and white highlights make her look witchy and wild. It looks like you scraped off the top layer, like that crayon project when we were kids. Purple skin gets 2 thumbs up!

@AIMR purple and green ARE MY JAM!!! The hair. The eyes. Love it.

@jemimah the transformation to a cat is creative brilliance. And the wee fish!

@Abbeeroad Your lady is a woodland fairy! The colors you achieved for her skin is fantastic!

I just love this spread. I will have to try it!

3 Likes

I was so curious to see what everyone did, and I’m impressed! This one was quite the undertaking.

3 Likes

I’m the one that went rogue. Here is mine. My paper got really soggy too and the fragile old music paper buckled a bit. The crocus are a bit dark, but overall I do like it.

14 Likes

It’s wonderful @marionberries - I love the sparkling colours and I can just feel the spring breeze as I look at it!

2 Likes

I just love the crocus flowers…and it has definitely got the feeling of movement…

2 Likes

I love this. Love the spring feel to it and that you can see the music sheets peeking through.

3 Likes

Thank you, blooming crocus always inspire me. They are popping up everywhere.

2 Likes

Yes!! So glad you shared. Love the sentiment.

2 Likes

Looks like eggs in a green nest on bottom left, cool!

1 Like

This looks so cool! I really like the yellow with the purple flowers on top. It makes the flowers pop-out of the page a bit. Love it

1 Like

This was a good video.
I apparently don’t seal my pages enough.

10 Likes

This was really useful.

1 Like

I really needed that! Thanks for sharing it…it is going to help me a lot now that I have a decent heat gun! I am also understanding better why I am getting muddied colors…very useful…

2 Likes

I think I have watched too many art journal videos with my three-year-old. She has really taken to the “splatter” technique. She even taps the brush over her finger, lol.

10 Likes