Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

So…91 degrees today and I think we are skipping the bike ride. I’ll be around to zoom! Sorry for the back and forth. Hope to see you guys later. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

91 is definitely too hot. I hate summer time!

I got paged in the middle of the night for a work issue so I am dragging. I’m off to nap and hopefully be refreshed for this afternoon!

4 Likes

I had a rough night with lots of swelling and pain in my leg. I have been awake since since 4 am, but I took a pain pill and feel so much better now. Icing my leg and staying in bed for a few hours and maybe even fall asleep…but I have my alarm set for 1 pm so I can be wide awake for our Zoom…I have basically done nothing of any crafting bent for over a week and need to get back not only for my own pleasure but to distract from my leg!

Can’t wait to see everyone and make a mess again!

4 Likes

Oof, is it hurting still from surgery? Distracting pain is the worst. Feel better soon!

1 Like

It’s so hot today we can’t even do porch or garden or siding projects. So a zoom craft along is the thing…if I can uncover enough counter space to work.

1 Like

Thank you for hosting Carlee!!

So wonderful to see you all :heart: :yellow_heart: :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Sad to miss out but I’m setting up for another crafternoon with @Serenity !

5 Likes

It was so good to see everyone!

Here was my page from today.

Edited to add materials used

• canson mixed media paper
  • liquitex basics gesso and acrylic paints
  • distress ink pads, distress oxide spray
  • white posca pen
  • black brush tip pen
  • ranger black archival, colorbox grey ink
  • black distress crayon (for shading circles)
  • black neocolor for border

Because they’re water reactive, the distress inks didn’t work great on the gesso’d surfaces (they make a strange grainy texture I think from the gesso).

10 Likes

I had to walk away for a minute and missed a lot of reveals. Can’t wait to see them here!

Here’s mine from today…super fun!

Materials used:

Mixed media art journal
Gesso
Art loft metallic acrylic
Craft acrylic
Purple watercolor paint
White acrylic ink (this and previous were trying to replicate the powder paint she used. I don’t think they worked lol)
Posca paint pens (white black and pink)
Purple and red ink pads with foam circle stamps
Various caps to outline circles
Black colored pencil
Flower stencil
Number stamps
I think that’s it?

Thanks for hosting Carlee!

10 Likes

I love the blend of color in your center stripe and the sideways script stamp is so effective!

This was mine for today. I had almost none of the ‘official’ supplies so I improvised. I used

Acrylic paints
Alcohol inks
Pigment ink pads
Uniball signo in black, white and gold
Stamps and a stencil.

@photojenn I love that letter stamp and the colours you choose.

@Abbeeroad also I love the colours and the negative space

8 Likes

Beautiful!! I love the way your honeycomb is enclosed in your circles. And gorgeous colors.

1 Like

@photojenn I like all the smudging going on there. What are the white speckles?

@Abbeeroad that purple is so rich & delicious. The mirrored flower stamp is a neat technique.

@Edel the honeycomb looks likes scales, it is so cool.

I might have gotten some paint on myself.

Heh.

12 Likes

That looks like the best kind of day!

I kept coming back to my page because it wasn’t doing it for me, and just now I had the happiest of accidents with it! I’ll post pics tomorrow, there will likely be more tinkering once I see it in daylight.

You look like you had all kinds of fun

1 Like

@photojenn @Abbeeroad @Edel Your pages look wonderful, love all the colour combinations.

I totally overworked mine and it became quite dull and muddy. That’s ok, I had lots of fun :grinning:

2 Likes

So far @Serenity & I have worked on these masterboards for 3 days, 3-4 hours each time Xs 2 sets of hands. And a few were on backgrounds I painted with @Pigeon from that Chasing Freedom video series which spanned a few days. I don’t remember this ever taking so long! But maybe I only made 4 or 5 pages at a time where this is over a dozen + envelops & cereal boxes.
They are all different, of course but also samey because they were done in a batch. Next time I’m going to try completing a few pages in each session with different techniques each time.

Do you find yourself doing the same thing again and again? I know that can be considered developing a style but it makes me feel a little “stuck”.

3 Likes

This. Yes. I feel you here.

Here are my things from yesterday that turned out (another is going to get the cover-up treatment we did in the previous Zoom…as this one instructed, never give up! Just throw on another layer :grin:)

The peckish creature was completely unintentional! I’m so glad it made itself known.

Materials:

• Substrates were book page and collage of ephemera with gesso
  • Normal no. 2 pencil and a blending stump for shading
  • Markers and fine-line pens for the dark lines
  • Chalk marker, flung acrylic ink, and the trusty Uniball Signo for added white
  • Craft acrylic paints, a little put on with brush or scraper, but mainly finger painting
  • All the circular objects I could find to trace or paint a circle inside
  • With paint, sponged a line of an uninteresting alphabet stencil backwards, then went over it again with another line upside-down - it hardly shows now, but I liked the effect!
  • Stenciled diamonds using the paper-folded-in-half-then-cut technique @geekgirl shared
  • A couple stencils that have circular motifs
  • Procion fiber-reactive dye powder in avocado green…I had just emptied a small shaker canister from something else, so I put a little in it and it worked well (didn’t dump everywhere). This dye is not intended for paper, but what the hay. It has navy blue and orange in its mixture, so that provided some unexpected little spots.
8 Likes

So first, the white tracing the black font is great. I love your colors.

But mainly GOR! That little creature! Fantastic eyes! And shading! He’s so engaging! I might try to duplicate this little one! Really sweet!

1 Like