Art Journaling Craftalong - 2022

I’ve been having a lot of fun with Terry Runyan’s Painting Happiness book recently. This is a couple of paintings I’ve done with the prompts:

Tulips:

Zebra, Transportation, UFO

10 Likes

Tulips in a fishbowl :joy::smiley:

1 Like

I made some ATCs inspired by the March prompt list.

(I realize this is probably slightly off-topic for the journaling craftalong since it’s not actually a journal craft. I’m posting it here as part of the requirements for entering it in the current site challenge and can delete if necessary when the challenge is over.)

5 Likes

I’m not the boss of this thread but I think it’s great that you used the prompts in your own way.

I love your use of the prompts!

May Art Journal Prompts

something flowery or floral
use only 3 colors
favorite art quote
use ribbon or fiber
add die cuts

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I am so happy with how my May art journal came out I had to share somewhere! I am doing the Messy May daily art journal challenge. Day 1 prompt was (partially) “bind a journal just for Messy May”. I started it yesterday and managed to finish in time today to also be able to do the second day challenge. Anyway…

This is a paper grocery bag journal: just two layers of standard paper grocery bag sewn between two layers of fabric. I did some collage on the cover (whale tail is a cricut cut that I water colored) and the lace and doilies are antiques from estate sales. My favorite is the binding though! I usually don’t like how standard junk journal binding looks, but using the eyelets changes the whole thing for me. Paper is mixed-media. This is def my favorite way to bind a journal that I have experimented with so far.

20220502_163704

20220502_163722

12 Likes

This is awesome!!

2 Likes

Wow, that’s fabulous!

I’ve had a bit going on and not much time to post, but all of you on this thread inspire me so much :two_hearts: please keep sharing your wonderful work!

3 Likes

I haven’t had much time for art journaling or even working with paper lately. But I did make a card for my mom for her birthday…and then left it at home when we traveled to see her. :stuck_out_tongue:
But she knows me and loves me, so all is good.

8 Likes

That’s beautiful! What techniques did you use? Sorry you left it at home! :woman_facepalming:

I was experimenting with homemade texture paste and a stencil, and I really can’t tell you which recipe one this was. I used a variety of techniques from one of our Zoom sessions last year. Acrylic paint, alcohol inks, and a roller were all involved.
This was actually cut from a bit larger piece to fit the card. I did mail it as soon as I got home.

1 Like

I did the exact same thing - mailed the card but left the gift on my desk at work!

Love that serene blue card…

1 Like

I really love how accessible this feels. I would bring this with me. And I don’t have enough words for how much i love the fabric and the lace and doilies.

Is the eyelet binding a known thing? I’m going to google to find out.

Edit. I absolutely have one of those tools. In with my sewing stash.

1 Like

No, I didn’t come up with it. I found it in a YouTube tutorial for binding a journal (maybe not a junk journal) that I think was several years old and now I can’t find it to give you a link - sorry! The paper bag cover is a 49Dragonflies tutorial, but she did not do the eyelets.

1 Like

I’ll check out that dragonfly tutorial! Thank you! I have some good fabric I might use. AFTER i finish my swap stuff! : )

Here is the link for the eyelet tool thing.

Voting is now open for the inspired along challenge, see the entries and vote here

There’s another Dina class next Saturday, May 14, called Ditch the Brayer. I think it’s about using a paintbrush to apply paint to the gel plate, rather than making a smooth coat. I’m thinking about it…

1 Like

Quick junk journal page for the poetry workshop I went to last week. Just my name tag from the event, the sticker off the notebook I got, and a list of some of the poets/books the facilitator recommended (on the notebook paper, natch).

ETA: Just now noticing the photo apparently didn’t upload the first time :woman_facepalming:t2: .

2 Likes

Y’all will love this faux rice paper tutorial. The results are really gorgeous.