Art Journaling Craftalong - 2022

This craftalong is for anyone who wants to art journal. All skill levels can participate.

art by @jemimah

We will host art journaling zoom meetups where we will play a video and journal along with it. It’s a lot of fun and you don’t usually need to have to have all the supplies listed in the video. Also, anyone can feel free to host a video session! find a video, post a time, and send the meeting link out!

We will also post monthly prompts for fun and share tips, techniques, and support.

If you want to see the videos we’ve done without scrolling through the whole thread, check out the list of links at the bottom of this post.

Monthly Prompts
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August

Common supply list
suggestions from geekgirl
Click to see original post
Please don’t feel like you have to go out and buy any of it. One thing I love about art journaling is that you can use whatever you happen to have.

But here are some things that are useful:

• Gesso
  • Heavy gesso/texture paste/modeling paste – you can make your own texture paste.These can be used interchangeably
  • acrylic paint - Liquitex Basics is a decent mid-range brand
  • Stabilo ALL pencils . Write on just about any surface
  • White and black gel pens . Signo Uni-Ball pens are generally good
  • Staz-On black ink pad
  • Mixed Media or water color paper – 100-140 lb. But really you can use most anything.
  • Water colors
  • Paint brushes and triangular makeup sponges
  • Stencils (you can make some simple ones with scissors and paper)
  • Stamps (you can make some simple ones with fun foam or use things like bubblewrap)
  • Things for background texture : drywall tape, joint tape, masking tape, tiny bits of lace and ribbon, book pages
  • Glue . My 2 favorites are Scotch 2-way glue applicator and Art Glitter Glue (it’s not actually sparkly)
  • Faber Castell gelatos or gel crayons
  • Baby wipes
  • gel medium or collage pauge.
  • acrylic inks

Trashy/recycleables to save:

• different sizes of bottle caps to make circles
  • small boxes I can unfold (like boxes that eye drops or ibuprofen comes in)
  • the backs of packaging - the cardboard piece with the hole at the top that hangs on racks
  • tags - gift tags, clothing tags, tags from tea, etc
  • small bits of lace, ribbon, thread, yarn
  • envelopes
  • notebook fringe

Recommendations from other Lettuce Heads :leafy_green:

Per @AIMR

• tubes of water color paint, creamy like acrylics or use water for watercolor effect.
  • watercolor pencils can be shaved to make your own magicals powders

Per @photojenn

• Neocolor II water soluble crayons
  • Heat tool - you can also use a hair dryer but a heat tool will dry your pages without also blowing everything around on the table. I recently upgraded and it’s so much nicer!

Resources
All about gel medium
All about gesso
Homemade texture paste
DIY Texture Medium
Mixed Media Dos and Don’ts

Drawing faces
Drawing simple whimsical face by Toni Burt
Learn to draw artistic faces by Dina Wakeley
Learn to paint artistic faces by Dina Wakeley
Pencil sketch on mixed media background by Toni Burt

Free printable and/or public domain images
The Graphics Fairy
Wikimedia
Vintage Botanicals
National Library of Australia
Gutenberg
Pixabay
Smithsonian Open Access
Smithsonian Institution Flickr
NASA Hubble Heritage Flickr
The British Library Flickr
Old Book Art Illustrations for download
Pinterest for Les Vieux Jours Vintage collage resources: photos, etchings, drawings and more.
USA Library of Congress Flickr
USA Library of Congress Photo Archive online portal
Reusable Art
Karen’s Whimsy
Creative Commons Cultural Contributors for art and music

Making decorated/painted papers for collaging
Painted Paper Collage and Painting
Making different mixed media papers for collage
How to create collage paper quick and easy

Art-along videos we’ve done
Art Journal Page with Spray Ink Background by Susanne Rose Art (it’s painting with the inks, not actually spraying so you could use any type of inks or watered down paint)
Keep Adding Layers by Kim Dellow
Abstract Water Color Mixed Media Style by Susanne Rose Art
How to make interesting COLLAGE ART | MIX MEDIA techniques and ideas
by Tom Quigley Art
Art Journal Ideas - Not in a Whisper Art Journal Page by Karen Gaunt
Art Journal Page for Beginners with Limited Supplies by Susanne Rose Art
Step by Step Art Journal Tutorial ‘‘Bloom’’! | Mimi Bondi ST5
Art Journal Page - Live Full Colour (mixed Media) by Jeanine du Plessis
LoveAutumnArt - Mixed Media Art Journal Page by Shel C

People to tag when there is an art journal zoom:
@kayrun
@Edel
@Lynx

16 Likes

Maybe this year I’ll be brave enough to join and not just watch.

8 Likes

You should! I joined my first one late 2020 having never done mixed media, painting, drawing, paper crafts, or really anything I would consider art before. It’s very low stress, encouraging, and fun!

4 Likes

I have enough internet data to join this year! Now, will I have the time?

4 Likes

Great list of materials and resources @geekgirl now I just have to remember to post here, rather than bumbling around in my terminally confused way trying to figure out which thread is which. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

JANUARY PROMPTS

A little neon or fluorescent color
Sgraffito
Book text
Use something new to you - I know you bought a little something for yourself!
Something water- soluble

Have fun!

5 Likes

something I wanted to do - this will help me stick to it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to doing the January prompts!

I added a section in the first post to link to each month’s prompt post.

4 Likes

A few of us did the artsy marathon. And it was great. One of the things that I found really good was the speed of switching from one thing to another. Each instructor had 30 mins (mostly) and then it was on to another thing. No chance to pause , or go back.

Any one fancy a doing something similar. Not for 22 hours! But maybe a set of three or four 20-30 minute YouTube tutorials that we do back to back, without pauses, just letting ourselves be free to do as much, or as little as we can.

If anyone is interested i can set it up and provide a materials list in advance.

7 Likes

Thanks for launching 2022, @geekgirl! I’m ready to jump back in!

5 Likes

Hello lovely lady, nice to see you xx

1 Like

Dear friend! Hello! :heartbeat: I am going to PM you!

Yes, I would be up for short, fast clips!

1 Like

I’m in!

One of the exercises at the beginning of the marathon was setting our intentions for the marathon. I decided one of my intentions was to let go and just go for it. I had no idea what was coming, what the projects were, or anything about most of the instructors styles. While I’m not in love with all of my pieces, I learned so much both about the techniques and getting out of my head. Speed art might be my new favorite method for creating.

2 Likes

I would love this!

1 Like

I only completed 2 pages and did not bind my book. But I think my whole book will be intentions and reminders to me for this year going forward. I also enjoyed the pace and the different ideas so yes I’d like to do 3 or 4 exercises in a batch to see what happens

I did go to bed at about hour 10 so I missed a bunch of lessons. I hope I can get to them this week.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll do some research on YouTube for tutorials and set something up.

Exactly this!

5 Likes

I’m starting my prompt cards. I’m using mini index cards and my plan is to have 6 categories - color, medium, technique, inspired by (quote, lyrics, mood,) action (splatter, scrape, sgrafito), add (dots, lines, sparkle). Each category is a different color family. Not sure how I’ll add the prompts yet.

11 Likes

Just checking in to let you guys know I’ll be stalking this craftalong this year too, even if I don’t participate much :heart: :innocent:

7 Likes

This sounds like fun!

1 Like

This sounds fun, I’d try making time. Hopefully 2022 will have a little more breathing room in it for me.

1 Like