This craftalong is for anyone who wants to art journal. All skill levels can participate.
art by @jemimah
We will host art journaling zoom meetups where we will play a video and journal along with it. It’s a lot of fun and you don’t usually need to have to have all the supplies listed in the video. Also, anyone can feel free to host a video session! find a video, post a time, and send the meeting link out!
We will also post monthly prompts for fun and share tips, techniques, and support.
If you want to see the videos we’ve done without scrolling through the whole thread, check out the list of links at the bottom of this post.
Common supply list
suggestions from geekgirl
Click to see original post
Please don’t feel like you have to go out and buy any of it. One thing I love about art journaling is that you can use whatever you happen to have.
But here are some things that are useful:
- Heavy gesso/texture paste/modeling paste – you can make your own texture paste.These can be used interchangeably
- acrylic paint - Liquitex Basics is a decent mid-range brand
- Stabilo ALL pencils . Write on just about any surface
- White and black gel pens . Signo Uni-Ball pens are generally good
- Staz-On black ink pad
- Mixed Media or water color paper – 100-140 lb. But really you can use most anything.
- Water colors
- Paint brushes and triangular makeup sponges
- Stencils (you can make some simple ones with scissors and paper)
- Stamps (you can make some simple ones with fun foam or use things like bubblewrap)
- Things for background texture : drywall tape, joint tape, masking tape, tiny bits of lace and ribbon, book pages
- Glue . My 2 favorites are Scotch 2-way glue applicator and Art Glitter Glue (it’s not actually sparkly)
- Faber Castell gelatos or gel crayons
- Baby wipes
- gel medium or collage pauge.
- acrylic inks
Trashy/recycleables to save:
- different sizes of bottle caps to make circles
- small boxes I can unfold (like boxes that eye drops or ibuprofen comes in)
- the backs of packaging - the cardboard piece with the hole at the top that hangs on racks
- tags - gift tags, clothing tags, tags from tea, etc
- small bits of lace, ribbon, thread, yarn
- notebook fringe
Recommendations from other Lettuce Heads
- tubes of water color paint, creamy like acrylics or use water for watercolor effect.
- watercolor pencils can be shaved to make your own magicals powders
- Neocolor II water soluble crayons
- Heat tool - you can also use a hair dryer but a heat tool will dry your pages without also blowing everything around on the table. I recently upgraded and it’s so much nicer!
Drawing simple whimsical face by Toni Burt
Learn to draw artistic faces by Dina Wakeley
Learn to paint artistic faces by Dina Wakeley
Pencil sketch on mixed media background by Toni Burt
Art-along videos we’ve done
Art Journal Page with Spray Ink Background by Susanne Rose Art (it’s painting with the inks, not actually spraying so you could use any type of inks or watered down paint)
Keep Adding Layers by Kim Dellow
Abstract Water Color Mixed Media Style by Susanne Rose Art
How to make interesting COLLAGE ART | MIX MEDIA techniques and ideas
by Tom Quigley Art
Art Journal Ideas - Not in a Whisper Art Journal Page by Karen Gaunt