Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

Same here. My husband knows on art journal zoom days he’s on his own. Maybe we should zoom every week… :joy:

1 Like

Jim goes to drum circle on Tuesdays so I usually take care of dinner so he can get out the door in time…so, on the occasional Sunday, he cooks or we agree to eat leftovers…I am not missing Art Journal Zoom if I can help it!

BTW, Jenn…it was great seeing the project your partner did…does he have a wood workshop where he does this? It was beautiful and so precise!

2 Likes

You should have seen how much he was grinning when I read him your message :smiley: He’s been slowly building out a wood shop in half of our garage the last few years but it’s really been coming together since COVID hit. As with all of us, he’d love to have more space.

2 Likes

After @Smmarrt posted about Junk Journal July, I went down a massive junk journal YouTube rabbit hole. And then stayed there, until I finally cracked open my Nancy Drew Ex Libris journal last night.

All these bits were salvaged from happy/swap mail envelopes. So it’s only self-centered on the surface; really, it’s all about you all :laughing:. And now I’m over that first-page hump. (But hold me accountable to keep working in it.)

9 Likes

I have pages in my collection journal with all of my name tags (see above), and I collect “S” things, too.

It is all about you!

1 Like

I really love these journal page collections. They seem happy and cheery to me.

I thought you guys might like you see some of the fabric I had made. It’s from from some of the journalling craftalong pages that I did over zoom with you lovely people.

Turns out making your own fabric is really straightforward. I added photos I took and some other bits of art, more pix are here Fabric designs from art journaling pages

12 Likes

Before I post this lady, I just want to say she’s pretty emphatic over her feelings over glue vs. junk. But, I DID really love to hear about how terms have morphed to come to be different things than originally intended.

Right after gg got me hooked on journaling I fell down a black hole, and here is one persons’ position on the different types. Although I don’t 100% agree with her, but she did come immediately to mind when I saw the discussion.

Enjoy!

1 Like

I did like her rolling eyes when she felt she was stating the obvious… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I honestly think I just do a mash up of all of those, so not sure what to call any of it…perhaps MY JOURNAL will suffice! lol

3 Likes

I’m a big eye roller - have really had to be mindful of this over the pandemic with video calls. I do not have a poker face! :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Oh wow, I’ve watched some of Jennibellie’s videos but this one really turned me off. Yuck. Like… Why is there a need for so many distinctions, and such passionate beliefs about them? I think the more techniques we try the more we may combine, so it all just becomes “journaling” at some point, and what you choose to call yours should be up to you (not have to adhere to certain “rules”). I also LOL’d because she was like “This page in my junk journal was literal junk - scrap paper I used to protect my desk that I just blot on” (and there were all kinds of intricate designs drawn on the sample “desk protection paper” she showed - sure you’re just blotting. And drawing circles, and making patterns… But OK, that’s JUNK, versus other paper that you do the exact same thing to, pulled from your stash.) Ugh. ok sorry I had to get that off my chest /rant :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, I used to be a follower of hers but her ideas were just too precise and I felt I was doing all the wrong things.

Learn, try, ponder, repeat, make it your own.

2 Likes

Here’s an in-progress page, Alisa Burke-style.

This is the standard size composition book, not the mini, that I started as a doodle book for my mom. I ripped out half the pages. But it was too tempting to try it out myself!

The stars are cookie cutters I found at Goodwill stamped with white acrylic ink. And I colored some of the stars in using alcohol markers.

13 Likes

LOL! I also stick mine in a little pile on the edge of the sink! I had a roommate who stuck them onto the side of the fridge… it was a major pain to pick them all off when it came time to move! Sticking them in a journal is a great idea!

1 Like

I knew a girl who just covered the wooden banana hanger with fruit stickers. Looked cool and seemed appropriate.
Love the stars @Smmarrt .
@Edel I can’t get over that fabric.
@megwell how cool to save your name from mail, that is such a nice idea.

2 Likes

I too am down a the Junk Journal youtube rabbit hole, and of course hip deep in the midst of learning to make them myself! I am loving working on them but it is overwhelming with how much can go into them and all the things that you can do. I am almost done making my 4th one (another gift that will be going out) and then I am set on making myself one. I love @Smmarrt’s glue book/ junk journal / whatever journal! Your pages are SO satisfying to look at and it really illustrates that an art journal can and should be anything!

@Cyn-energy I am with you on the whole ‘label’ issues that seems to be in the junk journal/ glue book / art journal debate that I see popping up here and there. 'Cos honestly, who cares! It is your journal, make what you want with it.

The one thing that I am not a fan of is that a lot of the junk journal tutorials seem to highlight making ‘junk journals’ using “printables”. For me personally, I feel like that defeats the whole point of creating something that is your own art or collage or fodder (another reason I am thinking about taking the fodder class that was being talked about in another thread).

6 Likes

That’s one reason I’m starting out in a prefab volume. Eventually I’d love to make my own, but I know as a beginner I’d become absolutely paralyzed trying to pick stuff out, and also then not want to cover any of it up :laughing:. Plus, I wanted an excuse to get one of those Ex Libris books, so it’s kind of a two birds–one stone thing.

1 Like

I totally understand about being overwhelmed with choices. For me, I make a stack of papers and then winnow it down as I decide on size of book and purpose of book. I have a certain “recipe” that I follow for signatures and it works for me. Generally I like to add a bit of everything and I constantly rip out pages before, during and after sewing/binding.

You’ll find what works for you, especially after your 4th book!

4 Likes

This is my finished book from this weekend’s Bookmaker Collective class taught by Deedee Catron.

I bought the basic kit which included one of Um Wow Studio Book Bones kit, spines, vintage papers, and some of her washi tape.

It was called “Noted Confidential “ because there is a small accordion book attached to the front cover.

It has 4 signatures of about 6 folios each, I mostly used what was sent but I added a few of my own papers.

I used packing tape on the spine that I stenciled with black paint.

This was a fun class and it will be fun to fill the journal up with some of my vintage photos and ephemera.

I totally recommend the book bones - made sewing up the book so fast and easy. I ordered the larger one 6” x 9” for my Fodder Notebook. The one pictured above is 3” by 4”.

14 Likes

@Smmarrt I love this book. I think keeping a restricted colour palatte really makes it work and the ink(?) coffee(?) splatters are wonderful

This is simply beautiful. I love the way you printed the spine.