Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

The way those leaves pop off of the dark background is so striking! I love the outlining you did too. It really adds a dimension.

It’s always sooo much fun to see everyone’s take on a video!

1 Like

Beautiful! I like the light areas…inviting you in to maybe discover another world…white really does pop those colors and shows off the leaves…

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I think something I’ve really taken on board from the various art journal sessions we’ve done together is how much difference it makes to add some high contrast details - white and/or black outlines, scribbles, splatter. It might not be right for every piece, but for a lot of pieces I’m finding it works so well.

3 Likes

I love the areas you overshot the space. It gives a lot of movement and visual interest.

1 Like

I have such a hard time going all the way to the edges. Too many years of creating materials for printing or publication…stay away from the margins from readability and printing. It’s ingrained in my body.

I admire someone who can (to me at least) break the rules and use the whole page! Thank you for modeling this behavior. :dancer:t3:

3 Likes

When : Saturday, February 13th, 2pm Eastern Time
Where : zoom link that will be shared in private message to the people who vote “I am there” in the poll below.

Supplies Needed:

• background paper, primed with gesso before hand (although you can skip this step if you don’t have gesso)

• Acrylic paints / brushes, sponges, spatula, old credit card or some way to apply paint to paper

• main image. She stamped and embossed 2 birds. I don’t have bird stamps like those or embossing powders. I am either going to draw my own and color in or print some b&w clipart birds and color in. (Search for whimsical bird clipart black and white). You could also use images from magazines, etc.

• background stencil. She used circles. If you don’t have any background stencils you can easily make a quick version out of folded paper. See my post here on how to do this.

• stamps and ink. If you don’t have stamps you can use bubble wrap, corrugated cardboard, bottle caps, etc.

• paint pens, gel pens, markers, etc

• a printed sentiment or hand write your own.

• adhesive (gel medium, modpodge, glue, etc)

Requirements : you must art!

Art Journaling - February 13th
  • I’ll be there
  • Not this time
0 voters
3 Likes

Yay! I had fun at the previous one so I’ll be looking forward to this one! :smile:

1 Like

Great! Happy to have you join in!

@Kryzzo just wanted to tag you and let you know I’m hosting another art journaling session this Saturday if you are interesting in joining in. ( we mentioned this craft along on your flower post)

Look 3 posts above this one and you can see all the details.

I might actually be able to join this one! It’s the first day of my February break. I just have to make sure I didn’t sign up for a class :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Free Bird Images Here

1 Like

Aw, I can’t join this one. Our SCA group are having a big online investiture and I have to be at that. It’s going to take most of my afternoon and evening on Saturday. That’s after being interviewed on our local radio station about online dating. :grin:

5 Likes

That looks like fun, but I suspect our internet data will be at s-l-o-w speed by then. We got a message a few days ago that we had only 25% of our high speed data left and it resets the 14th. Having a fairly low data cap is so annoying! But, the kids are now back to in-person learning so they are not having as many Google Meets for school, so maybe going forward I’ll finally be able to participate in some of these! I may have to try to just do this one on my own because…birds!!! :bird:

1 Like

This is intriguing!!! Off to message for deets!

Looks like fun. Really it’s a very good excuse to play with paint and stamps rather than fabric. I need this reason to make a mess!

1 Like

Looking forward!!

1 Like

Oh man. I just tried to draw my own birds. What a fail!

I found these super cute ones from Vecteezy. Anyone use them before? Says attribution required, but I’m assuming that’s only if I’m using commercially or selling…

Bird Vectors by Vecteezy

I find tracing things can be a real save too. Then you get the surface you want and can paint anyway you please.

Yeah, I mean, I usually steal pretty unabashedly from the Internet for embroidery patterns and Cricut projects (shh!). But maybe taking the images as they are directly is different? Everyone is so cognizant of royalty-free images, I don’t want to be the jerk who rips off real artists.

1 Like

Generally if it’s just for personal use I don’t worry about it. ESP if you aren’t giving it to someone

1 Like