Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

Ack! I got the time wrong for the zoom. I got it in my head it was 8pm my time, not 6 and of course I didn’t check :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Fun art journal zooming. I personally didn’t like the final product on this one, but it was fun to try things. I am a bit hampered by not having a lot of stencils or some of the other journaling supplies so I am always making do. Lots of mess, lots of paint under my fingernails, a not-so-successful background (it’s still drying). Lots of fun! I do enjoy messing around with journal pages and doing in a group, even via Zoom, is so much more fun. How I love all of you.

4 Likes

Thank you all for being so welcoming to my girl, she enjoyed herself and made a really interesting piece of art. Hopefully she’ll share it here for y’all to see.

4 Likes

I loved your page! I agree this one was tough but I enjoyed the challenge of something different. I’ll be brave and share mine:

13 Likes

I completely forgot about the zoom today. I’ll look forward to seeing people’s pages.

2 Likes

It looks wonderful @Abbeeroad!

I had so much fun making art with all of you! Even when the project isn’t my usual style and I’m making do what I have, I always get something out of the process.

I made mine a cat, and instead of the flowing hair, I added some simple fishy shapes. I don’t have sprays for the drips, so I used watery acrylics and my inktense blocks. Some white gel pen too.

I don’t know if I love it, but I really loved doing it, especially with you all for company and inspiration :heart: :rainbow:

14 Likes

@jemimah, a cat, of course!. It’s perfect and the background, colors, and details really enhance the kitty.

@Abbeeroad, that alien is awesome and the hair, so fun. I like the hanging plants too. A completly alien environment.

2 Likes

You achieved so much detail on that eye! :star_struck:

2 Likes

I was glad @pigeon was able to join us…hope you post your project!

@jemimah…how clever to use fishes! Also, that eye…and I bet you didn’t spend hours on it…that eye!

@marionberries I think we do these to learn different things that work and don’t work…I am not a big fan of that modeling stuff…takes too long to dry! But, it looked like you did some thistle-like flowers and I love those!

@Abbeeroad I love your background! And her dark curly hair…I know someone with that kind of hair! :wink:

Ok…here is mine…and yeah, I pretty much copied the video because that is what I do right now…
I am glad to know others want to try this one again!

20210328_213716

14 Likes

@AIMR lovely alien, shes serene. And the green stencils work well, I like any thing in a round shape. Well.done.everyone.

Lol those will be crocus when I have a chance to work on them. I do enjoy the videos, and I do like the modeling paste. But I just have to go my own way…I am terrible at following instructions. :monkey:. I really just want to play with paper and color, so I Do. I love the different interpretations we all end up with.

2 Likes

I love the wispy hair you did! That’s what I wanted, lol.

2 Likes

Here is mine. I ended up painting her face because colored penciled just weren’t working on that background.

13 Likes

Sorry to have missed you Edel!

@Abbeeroad I like the shading you did on her face! and I like the flowers in the background.

@jemimah love the cat! When I was drawing the eye on mine I was thinking cat eyes.

@AIMR great job. she looks good and love the hair.

@pigeon I hope you choose to share with us!

I would like to do this one again and concentrate on the face.
I think either on plain paper or making a simpler background ahead of time and letting it dry completely before the zoom.

Maybe we can give it another go in a week or 2?

6 Likes

@geekgirl, she looks a little angry and ready to knock some sense into us earthlings! I think the painted face works well and some of the background shows through to tie it all together. I rather like the hair, it suits her.

1 Like

I also like the hair…I think using the white to highlight is one of the tips in some of our previous lessons…I would love to find a tutorial on what will go over what…it seems my sharpies work but only if my stuff is super dry…but not over paint well…the paint pens work on some things, but not some of the gels…ugh…it seems like all trial and error for me and I end up pulling out all the supplies!

I did order a proper heat gun, some stencils (BTW, the lid tops made too thick of layer…I ended up knocking most of it off and just repainting the smaller bumps…so I am only going to use them for paint or sprays…) I need some of those squirt bottles…

I played around more with getting a more vibrant alcohol ink from my old sharpies…yeah, I am going to have lunch today at the beach with my nephew with yellow and green fingers…oh well…lol
We stayed up until past 1 am just gabbing…

9 Likes

Love the hair! I think I need to go over my hair with something to achieve those nice swirls…

I ended up busting out the paint and paint pens for the eye and face, too. The colored pencils were not cutting it.

I’m down to try the face again in a couple weeks. I did do the face tutorial that you guys posted in the mixed media craftalong, and I think that helped as sort of a “prep” for this face. I did that on a spare piece of cardstock and layered onto one of my Alisa Burke backgrounds. I know @Pigeon mentioned utilizing this technique, too.

Enjoy the beach today with your nephew @AIMR!

12 Likes

I did something a bit different from the video we watched, but I’m very happy with how it turned out.

I didn’t like the process of it but I just said “Trust the process.” Which is what my mom tells me all the time.

It’s not finished yet but I wanted to show it now. I didn’t do the alien girl instead I did a Muslim woman with her hijab as the hair. I don’t know what inspired me to do this but I wanted to try something different, so here it is.

Here’s the background. It turned out bad in the start but at the end it worked out.

This is the person I drew I really love them!!

This is what it looks like together. I’m really happy with the ending project I just need to glue it down.

I had lots of fun and hope to do this again! :grin:

9 Likes

Beautiful!! I love your woman. Wonderful, the places inspiration takes us…

And I love all the different elements in your background. So much to look at!

2 Likes

I also have to learn to trust the process…and I love that you drew your person separately…that is a good tip to try since I am learning to draw faces!

2 Likes

I think they are beautiful & serene, the face looks deep in thoughtful meditation.

1 Like