Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

This last spread is FANTASTIC and so deep. I’m so surprised by the saturation you were able to get with the yellow on those dark colors.

Yum. MO.

Gorgeous colours and textures. The shapes and lines in the last one really pop and look so cool.

Sorry I can’t make the Zoom, but hope to still do the video and share. I definitely need to get more supplies!

2 Likes

Here’s my face from today.

9 Likes

Love the way you did her hair…

Yes! The hair is awesome and I love the green. She’s like a tree nymph!

Here’s mine from today. I definitely went off the rails lol but I really enjoyed more face/eye practice. I just added the lettering to the facing page, which was from Alisa Burke’s exercises.

8 Likes

Thanks for this morning @geekgirl! Your face looks brilliant, the greens are beautiful and I think the complementary pink in the background and hair really enhances and brightens the green. The eye is expressive!

I love how you did yours upside down @Abbeeroad! The texture in the hair has so much energy and the shading around and in the eyes is great. And I adore the facing page too, it looks fantastic!

Here is mine from this morning, it turned into a sea nymph/siren.

I experimented with the eyelashes like in the video - I don’t love them, but hey, it’s just a piece of paper.

I really appreciate having these art sessions with you all. I spend a lot of time unable to decide what to make, and wasting time, which is quite frustrating. Something about having a topic, a time limit, and (best of all) some happy company really helps me to try new things and enjoy making make stuff.

7 Likes

Yes! She really looks sea swept! Love it.

1 Like

Thanks for a much needed art break yesterday…I was in a bit of a down funk and needed to at least do something…it broke the bad mood I was in once I saw everybody and got going!

@jemimah…I love how you take each lesson and make it your own…your style definitely rings through…I love all the attention you paid to the eyes!

@Abbeeroad…the upside down hair made me smile…and the hair…it looks like what I see under my desk…a mangle of cords, paper, and stuff! Wonderful work!

Here is the base I started with from one of our sessions last year using handmade modeling paste. I liked the colors and all of the textures, but it felt very unfinished and unfocused. I was just going to cut it up for cards or ATCs.

I drew the face on paper and then pasted it on an did the hair over both parts. I also added a bit of pink just because I wanted something less dull. I like it better, but this definitely is not my style. I do like having some fun and learning new things. I am excited to do the junk lesson we talked about!

6 Likes

Haha. Love the words you added! I am a big fan of crazy hair. :heart:

I must have jumped off before this junk lesson you speak of. :thinking:

Yeah…I still have not had a professional hair cut in nearly two years and I sort of like it…I now have a nice collection of headbands, scarves, clips, etc. It kind of fits my new lifestyle more to be less maintenance with hair and nails, although I miss my biweekly pedicures!

@geekgirl did some fantastic spreads using old card stock, tapes, etc. last year and is doing it again…we had discussed doing that for a zoom session with everyone showing off their junked up pages before painting and embellishments…it is another magical technique!

2 Likes

Oooo…sounds fun!

1 Like

That face looks so moody @AIMR - what an intense gaze in that eye! Nice work on the lips and nose, and her hair looks almost three dimensional with the fabulous texture. Perfect caption!

I feel like I need to get a bigger bin to store all the packaging and junk mail so I can make art with it … then I’m going to need another big bin to store all the art in …

1 Like

@Abbeeroad I absolutely love the hair you did! and I like that she’s upside down.

@jemimah your eyes are so good! they sparkle!

@AIMR glad we could un-funk you! That’s great how you repurposed an old background. your girls skin shading looks so good. Love the saying!!

1 Like

@Abbeeroad this is the video we are talking about doing. I did it last May and really like the technique.

You’ll want some paper scraps/ephemera such as tags/price tags, spiral notebook paper scraps, drywall tape, lace, mesh, etc. looking
Here’s a screen grab from the video before she starts painting

and here is a link to the post where I shared mine.

I’m thinking maybe April 25th.

8 Likes

Super cool. Looking forward!

1 Like

I’m there, whatever day you choose! April 25th in USA might work well for @Bel too, because that Monday morning is a public holiday here in NZ.

4 Likes

I remember doing this with you! I had next to ZERO trash! Ha!

1 Like

My mom’s birthday. Since I am not quite ready to brave the travel ordeal, I will not be with her. But my son and his family are moving from Oregon to Virginia and stopping through Nebraska to see a good portion of their relatives. So my Mom will get a nice visit from her grandson and great grandchildren, one of whom is now 2 and she has never met. The other is 14, how did that happen.

Anyway, a nice journaling afternoon would be so nice.

2 Likes

It’s a bit late but here she is :grin:

I really love her. The hair was a fun to do. I layered pigmented green paint on the first layers of hair, they were mostly dark but I had some lighter colours too. 2nd 3rd and 4th layers are just dark, light and subtle greens just to cover up the white spaces. The 5th layer has watered down acrylic paint to have more lines to make the hair pop but not to cover it up. I added some thinner strands to make more detail.

The face is water colour. It was hard making the eye lashes but it was soooo worth it. :star_struck: The face is light pink with darker pink as shading and details, and the eyes are grey because white was to similar to the pink.

My mom likes the pink under her eye and my step dad and I like the hair. It was a fun process and I hope to do more craftalongs.

11 Likes

The hair is incredibly detailed! The layer with one basic color really adds depth…thanks for sharing how you did it…you also got a lot of good shading on your face and the features!

1 Like