Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

Thank you! That totally makes sense.

I did not see matte medium, so went with matte gel. :woman_shrugging:

I actually use a lot of Collage Pauge. I’ll update my list later

I only recently started using gel medium.
Pretty sure gel medium and matte medium are interchangeable terms.

This link goes into some detail

3 Likes

I also upgraded from my blow dryer to heat tool…I am so glad I did! It was relatively inexpensive!

1 Like

Ohh, that Blick link may be my undoing. I’ve been meaning to get some Stabilos.

2 Likes

I love this thread so much and am in awe of what you guys are making right now. I love the texture of those pieces. @geekgirl and @aimr @Bel
@Abbeeroad those stickers with the background are fab. @jemimah I love that bee, so cute. @photojenn the colours with the white on yours work so well

I really wanted to join in the zoom this week, but the electricians are moving into my temporary craft space to rewire (it was a close call between safe wiring and wanting to craft :nerd_face:) so I’ve had to pack up all my craft stuff again. My stash is currently split between three locations, only two of those locations are under the same roof. But :crossed_fingers: in about two weeks I should be able to set up my temporary craft space again. In the meantime all those craft supplies I bought from AliExpress after our previous zooms are arriving- they are taunting me.

2 Likes

We miss you but know that you are in flux right now and are thinking of you as you prepare your new home! Seemed not that long ago (although it has been over 20 years!) that electricians were practically living in our home for about six weeks when we first moved back to PA…being safe is a priority and also, many older homes just can’t handle all of the technology stuff we have now that require electricity…it is mind boggling!

Glad you at least “drop in” here! Soon, dear friend!

I absolutely love the scrappy book you made me! It’s so textural! Before you sent that, I didn’t know people casually MADE books! and now I have a couple! I hoard them! But you know my favorite is the scrappy fabric bits. It’s so me!

1 Like

Flux, you are not wrong. This is my current kitchen set-up (plus an airfryer) the old gas cooker was leaking and we had to take down wall units to allow the electrician to work. But in the plus side, it’s an excuse for Chinese food at the weekend.

3 Likes

Oh dear. Hopefully fixed up before you get too sick of takeout!

I allow us take out once a week only. So it’s mostly just things I can cook on two gas rings. Happily we all like pasta!

That’s a lot to do! I hope you’re really enjoying the process of making your new home your own :smile_cat:

@Edel! I am sending you all the love and light!

I’m a bit late on a couple of replies on this thread, sorry …

@Abbeeroad, the black drips are actually watered down indigo acrylic paint - it’s a very dark indigo, but I think the blue-toned dark meant it worked well with the green and yellow. I like using black as well, but sometimes I think very dark colours (indigo, Payne’s grey, v dark purple) can be a bit less overpowering when blended over bright colours (depending on the effect you’re wanting to achieve).

@AIMR I love all the textures you created. The white highlights sparkle! I think they would look amazing turned into smaller pieces.

@geekgirl that rich colour in all your work is fabulous! The high contrast black and white details give it so much impact. Also, so great to see your befores - I’m inspired to raid the recycling bin some more :smile:

@photojenn thank you! I’d love to swap with you anytime :smile:

I hope everybody’s having a lovely weekend! I’ve been watercolouring, but going back through this thread, I’m keen to bust out the gel medium and markers again!

2 Likes

I did another trashy spread yesterday. I didn’t take a before pic. And this is in an altered book and the right side wrinkled a bit but adds to the textural effect.

9 Likes

Oooh I love it! The little ‘journey’ cluster is perfect and I like the wrinkled texture too.

I really like how you used two different colors but how well they blend together…and the flecks of gold!

I finally finished my spread based on the Zoom I missed last week. I went off script a little but am fairly happy with the overall result.

There’s some semi-hidden journaling along some of the drips: “The answers we find are never what we had in mind, so we make it up as we go along.” (Shoutout to any Nine Days fans in the house.)

Requisite naked trash shot:

7 Likes

Even your “naked” shot is really cool! I see that you put on most of your background color on first instead of painting it all after you glued the junk…the color afterwards focuses more on the junk…another cool technique!

Well done! Very expressive and colorful…

1 Like

Fabulous! I love all the blocks of bright colour and the black drips are brilliant!

1 Like

Yes! I would probably break that down differently if I did another one of these. But I knew I wanted a rainbow effect and felt like all the colors everywhere would be too busy.

Thank you! That bit actually worked out how I wanted it to.

1 Like