Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

I think gesso would definitely work on fabric for that, if you think about it stretched canvases are just canvas fabric primed with gesso

6 Likes

Gesso would work as a binder, and modge podge or white glue too.

2 Likes

Here’s links about gesso and gel mediums.

All about gel medium
All about gesso

3 Likes

This woman used soft gel medium to attach fabric to her page

I really think you could use fabric scraps anywhere you’d use paper scraps in art journaling.

6 Likes

My 2-cents - add fabric just as you would paper. Visually and texturally it will add to your page/composition.

And yes, I’ve gessoed and painted on fabric to make badges or charms or lucky tokens.
I’ve sewn fabric to paper and I’ve sewn paper to fabric. And I’ve used gel medium in both situations.

7 Likes

We’re on the same page! (Pun intended)

3 Likes

I’m so excited for the next Zoom session! I love how no-pressure and encouraging it is - you guys always inspire and motivate me to try new things! :smiley_cat:

I think I might even start playing with some supplies this evening …

3 Likes

Speaking of fabric and paper combinations, this popped up on my YT feed, only 5 minutes long.

9 Likes

They are so much smaller than I initially thought! What a great use for those upholstery samples! I like that little fingertip blotter thing she uses.

‘You just squash it around’

2 Likes

I want that finger inker tool! I loved this…I have loads of fabrics that can’t be used for quilting…but they can be used for journals! I think I have my ZOOM project…they look easy enough to do while listening to people and chatting!

1 Like

Love these! That finger inking tool is pretty awesome.

2 Likes

I have some upholstery sample books that got moved into my attic. They’re probably wrecked at this point. But, I was trying to come up with ways to use them. So, if they are still good, I will have plenty!

I just got a bunch of stencils in the mail. I thought they were a lot smaller, but they’re a decent size. So, I have lots of supplies for tomorrow! I just have to set up another table, since I had to take my big one down.

1 Like

That finger inker is SO GREAT! I have made such a mess in the past trying to do edges with the entire ink pad, lol. @Knickertwist and @racky made it look so easy but gah, I get smudge absolutely everywhere when I do it.

So funny, she showed her jar of thread bits she just couldn’t get rid of. Sister from another mister! I was thinking the exact same thing as her, that they’d be good in hand made paper. I happened to have been considering my random thread end collection for just such a thing the other day myself. I wanted some paper to use in book binding, I have a recycled project in mind.

4 Likes

lol I kept thinking “I hope she is saving those threads…” and when she did, I started howling with laughter! Yep…a kindred spirit for sure

3 Likes

I told my husband we were doing an art project today and he was excited to help doodle! Not sure which of these will make it to the page but it’s been a fun little project :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hello all. I don’t think I did much journaling last year, at least not like I wanted to. I think I’ll join along with you all and try and get on track with it.

6 Likes

Love them!

1 Like

Glad to have you here. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

1 Like

Love that you guys are making your own doodle pages. I totally bought a b&w page. :see_no_evil:

I watched the doodle vid and played around with my new supplies to make the “intro” page on my journal. I loved applying the paint with my fingers!

10 Likes

And, I’d say you’re going to do just fine with your journaling adventures! :heart:

1 Like