Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

lol the USPS page blames Australia!

“Due to the latest outbreak in Australia, it has forced mail centers across the country to close amidst new lockdowns across the country. For this reason, USPS has taken the decision to stop sending packages to the country for the time being.”

My package made it all the way to the Miami distribution center and then was returned with a big pink note and instructions on how to get a refund…only, I can’t get a refund, so I have to use the label when I can!

Maybe we could create a swap and gather all the pieces for @jemimah in one envelope, and send it as soon as things open or loosen up.

I will ask when I propose the swap to the mods.

Can mail arrive from Australia and NZ to USA?

And I volunteer to send. Also, I know a bunch of flight attendants so maybe they can help out…

4 Likes

I’m going to go back and watch the last video you all did over zoom and try it. Loving what everyone has made.

3 Likes

Playing with markers and mark-making, and the journaling spots kind of just materialized.

Sentiment from “Little Spark” by Jessie Baylin.

11 Likes

So I started this “Journal for No Reason” several years ago after watching Shannon Greene’s video on YouTube. I have two actually, just 50-cent composition books from Target.

Some pages were painted during gel print sessions.

In her video, and subsequent offerings from her followers, she and they covered their pages with magazine images. I used what I had and made it more into a collections journal.

Chop sticks wrappers

Stamps from swap mail

Fruit stickers (banana stickers from school, I don’t like bananas)

Security envelope inchies

9 Likes

So is it a glue book? Yes, I glue stuff in. Is it a scraps diary? Could be but I’m using all the junk I collect in my book bag, from the street (see below), and from my desk.

Numbers/valet tickets

Yes and No from election junk mail

Hands from wherever

Name tags

Washi tape from swap mail

13 Likes

This doesn’t really answer the question in the discussion about what is a glue book versus a junk journal but just my contribution. When I’m waiting for stuff to dry or after I clean out my book bag, I add stuff to these books.

1 Like

They are great! Wonderful little “junk” turned treasure :heart: And I have to admit that I’m happy to know another person that doesn’t like bananas :wink:

1 Like

love all the different collections!

1 Like

@Smmarrt that is just exactly the inspiration I’ve been looking for, I love it!

1 Like

Love these journals!

I never thought those fruit stickers could go from annoyance to art…imagine!

1 Like

I read somewhere where people save them on wax paper and use them in their ATCs. I like saving UPCs to use on ATCs so started saving produce stickers to use and never got around to using them.

2 Likes

They are frequently stuck to the edge of my sink for months, so I may as well stick them somewhere else, even if I never use them, lol.

I remember reading about the zero waste lady who fit a year’s worth of her family’s garbage in a mason jar…these stickers were one of the few things that went in the jar. They need another use!

3 Likes

I’m a few days late but I just realized that it’s been a year since I joined my first art journal zoom due to the encouragement of @geekgirl and @AIMR

For fun, here’s my page from that day

The only reason I joined was for the social aspects as I had never done anything mixed media before. Now here we are a year later and I’m obsessed with all things mixed media. Thanks Carlee and Linda for convincing me to join and the encouragement when I had no idea what I was doing!

14 Likes

How awesome!!! Love it. Now you’re a pro! :grin:

1 Like

I don’t know if I’d go that far but I sure am having fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s fantastic Jenn!!

All of you in this group are such an inspiration to me :heart:

3 Likes

I loved that page…it was haunting and showed a good blend of colors. You and so many here have added to my feeling of community as well as to my wanting to learn all I can and just explore. Fabric will always be my medium of choice, but like you, I have loved every lesson and now have supplies that encourage me to do more!

3 Likes

I love this so much, especially the creative use of opposing yes and no’s… It makes you think about how verbal “textures” play into our art when we use words.

I love this! I want to start practicing incorporating faces into my art.

2 Likes