Bumblebutts by @lothruin Projects--Magic Bag

Some of you know that @lothruin and I have been crafting friends here and on FB for a good number of years. I was so excited when she came out with her latest fabric design collection, Bumblebutts.

To support this endeavor, I bought several fat quarters with no real projects in mind…I just loved the fabrics!

Once they arrived from Spoonflower, I decided to make a whole set of storage pieces for my new laptop, keyboard, etc. I started with the pesky small parts that get shoved into a drawer.

I used a tutorial I found on YouTube to make this, but, to be honest, next time, a simple zippered tote would be easier and faster. It is smaller than I thought, but it works for now. I added the handle so I could grab it easier. The two tabs are necessary to hold to open the zipper.

It opens up to form a sort of shallow basket. Here it is holding my power cord, mouse, and keyboard cord. See those little side panels? What a pain they were to sew in to cover the seam and make the sides. It is a bit fiddly to close up with stuff inside because you have to move the sides around a bit. I am glad I tried the pattern, but, I doubt that I will make it again.

Shot of some of the fabrics I will be using for the next project: the laptop case! (upper left top and middle)

Thanks for looking…and thanks, @Lothruin , for these fun fabrics!!

23 Likes

great magic bag!
and the prints are just gorgeous! @Lothruin

2 Likes

It’s an adorable little caddy, even if it was and is fiddly. Cute fabrics!

1 Like

Love that bag!

1 Like

It is a very cute-looking bag/pouch. As we all know, cute doesn’t always translate into the most functional or simple!

The fabric collection is really pretty @Lothruin and I love that you are showcasing it for us all to see @AIMR !

2 Likes

Adorable and functional use for those beautiful fabrics! Love seeing LCers support each other!! :heart:

1 Like

Great fabrics & the bag turned out so good. Too bad you aren’t in love with the pattern, how frustrating. I have a similar tutorial bookmarked to try, should I pass on it?

2 Likes

I looked at a couple of them. They all looked quite easy, but there were some changes made. Most use bias tape to cover the seam, which is a technique I don’t really like. This one used the actual side panel to cover the seam.

My frustration was that I was having a hard time concentrating due to family issues and did things in small chunks instead of a long sewing sewing session. I am sure that added to mistakes and not following the instructions exactly. I really hate the bulk zippers give to a seam and should have used a tab. I also decided to put on a handle at the last minute…next time, it will be incorporated into the seam and not sewn on the top…lots of little things…I will try it again with my changes…I am sure you would make a good Magic Bag, so go for it!

5 Likes

This bag is cute and I love how it looks with @Lothruin’s beautiful fabrics!

2 Likes

It’s a very nice looking little bag! Too bad it was kind of a PITA to make. The prints are really the star of th show, though. Congratulations to @Lothruin for making a full collection that is so great looking!

3 Likes

She has more in the collection that I did not purchase yet. I am using the green large print to make a tote bag, but I need another fat quarter…oh, too bad…lol… :rofl:

2 Likes

I gotcha. Would you link the pattern? I don’t like that bias tape option either.

1 Like

Magic Bag

I did not use the two thing zipper as I did not have a color in my “Make it yourself zipper” stash!

Wow! The fabrics work so well with this pattern! I really like the fact that this magic bag looks like an open mouth when it’s opened up. It reminds me of the piranha plants in the Mario games. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is so cute! I’m honored that you are using my fabrics. It really means so much. <3

1 Like