Charcoal drawings from college

Here’s some of my charcoal drawings from college that were recently brought to my house. I thought I would have to photograph them all over again, but I have them in my computer! This is for you @endymion since you wanted to see them so bad. :yum: I’ve picked out just a few. There are a lot.

NSFW (boobs)

I think I might frame the last two and have them side by side. The dude and the lady. Even though my art professor wasn’t crazy about my use of colored pencil, I still like it for the lady’s (her name just popped in my head) breast reduction surgery scars.

Anywho, yeah, those are some of my soft charcoal drawings. I have other stuff like paintings and sculpture and whatnot, but I only immensely loved doing charcoal.

17 Likes

Wow, these are amazing! The portrait is so moving, and all the drawings feel very real. Thanks so much for sharing them with me/us!

1 Like

These are beautiful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! I can see why you loved it. You have serious talent with charcoal! These are stunning.

1 Like

You truly are a talented artist!

1 Like

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone! I haven’t shared my work in a long time.

1 Like

These are fabulous!! Thank you for sharing your work, inspires me to bust out the charcoal again myself.

1 Like

You ARE a talented artist! Great stuff!

1 Like

I could not do the thin round hard sticks. The sound and feel of it grated on me. I used the rectangular soft charcoal. Conte crayons were fun, too, if I remember right.

1 Like

These are really amazing. Especially the ones of the gentleman and the lady. They look very realistic, and I love that you’re portraying them just as they are, not idealized or grotesque, which are both common in portraits. I especially love the details such as the chest hair against the dark background and the lady’s scars. I think the slight colour on the scar doesn’t look out of place at all, that’s what scars look like.

Were you an art major in college?

1 Like

Yeah. I double-majored in Art and English with a minor in Art History.

My niece surpasses me totally in art and design. I wasn’t very good at design, I didn’t like to schmooze, and I didn’t want to teach so… there was nothing to do with either of my degrees. I went back to school at the Art Institute for web design when I moved, but, again, my designs were not nearly good enough for what people were doing and I could not get a firm grasp on the design languages (this was before drag n drop was a thing). That’s all mush in my head now. I just have artwork left over.

Oh and my mental health broke in my junior year of college and I found I wasn’t able to handle much stress. Never the same since.

3 Likes

Those boobies had a reduction! Or a lift. Good capture.

1 Like

Yep! She had a reduction. It was part of her art project as well, showing how she used to be able to hold at least three remotes in place under her boobs while standing. She was an interesting lady.

I like them all, especially conte. I’ve enjoyed using the sepia and sanguine conte too. I’m looking forward to seeing some more of your drawings!!

1 Like

:rabbit2: :nest_with_eggs: :tulip: This is one hoppin’ craft! And it’s one of our featured projects this week! :tulip: :nest_with_eggs: :rabbit2:

2 Likes

Thank you, although they were created a long time ago.