Christmas Craftalong

I am taking several recipe cards from various relatives and having them printed on dishtowels and fabric so I can make aprons. I think everyone has their favorite recipe from my mother, so I will start with her recipes first. Thanks for this reminder! I have been wanting to do this since last Christmas!

9 Likes

My husband’s cousins did this for our daughter’s wedding gift…., they had the handwritten recipe for chicken casserole that has been in the family for ages, Ans had it printed on a tea towel, then packaged it with a beautiful ceramic casserole dish. My daughter and her husband were absolutely thrilled. I was amazed at how intense her reaction was, in particular. It was cool to see a bit of sentimentality in my child who tends to be very minimalistic:)

6 Likes

:raising_hand_woman: yeah me! I was an odd kid too @Immaculata!

I also picked up my interest in genealogy as a kid, from a (empty) family history book that wasnin my parent’s bookshelf. As it was empty they obviously had no interest in it.

4 Likes

My daughter and I went out shopping this morning as planned. I managed to find a cookbook that I think she’ll like. Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything for Mr. Bajita or my son. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Why is shopping/crafting for guys so hard? U.G.H.

Maybe we need a Craftalong thread that is nothing but “what to make for a guy”, because I go through this angst too often.

6 Likes

I bought my husband a Penn State t-shirt. The one he is wearing while watching the game today is almost in shreds! I got him the new Stephen King book but he saw it already and wanted to start reading it now…yeah, it is hard to buy for guys, I think! He did love the two t-shirts I tie dyed for him as lounging shirts…so maybe I will make him two more. That’s all I can think of.

4 Likes

I don’t find Mr Imma hard to craft/shop for at all! But his wishes are simple. He doesn’t mind getting the same type of gifts every year.

I try to make a new pair of flannel PJ/lounge pants every year for Christmas. He likes stuff related to his team or WWII history. He likes craft beers, especially ones that are hard to find. I repaired some underwear for him a while back, I used some novelty print fabric I had lying around and he still cracks up every time he sees those. So I think homemade underwear is going to be a new Christmas tradition.

He also gets a lot of beer gifts and they often come in those rustic looking wooden crates that hold 6 bottles. I set those aside and when we need a gift for another beer lover we just fill them with new bottles. I made liqueur last year for a friend and her husband Speculaas cream liqueur . My brother is into all sorts of fandoms so I just make something related to what he’s currently into. I helped him move the other day so I’m pretty sure he appreciates homemade, he’s kept them all!

5 Likes

My dear old dad and stepmum are coming over to see us in Australia for Christmas! We don’t normally do a huge amount for Christmas, but it will be very special to spend it with them this year. I think I might do some handmade gifts - I’m enjoying looking back through this thread for inspiration!

9 Likes

EEEEE!!! Inspiration struck! I can now mark my husband off of the gift list!!

happy

So Mr Bajita is originally from Texas and is all about grilling and smoking foods whenever the weather cooperates. He also complains about the dainty little store bought hot pads that we have. They don’t work well with TX sized hands.

Well, I had some Insulbright left over from making the oven mitts and I had some denim in the scrap pile, so I made him some Texas Man Hand Sized hot pads! I even had a bit of chile pepper fabric to use as backing.

Here’s my hand for size reference.

HOWEVER, you really want to know what is making me dance in the Happy circle? You can barely tell in the picture, but those corners are MITRED!!! It’s silly how happy this makes me. :smile:

12 Likes

Well done on the corners! They are hard, my first quilt is hilarious.

And well done on having hubby off the list in September! I have a birthday to think about first. :confused: arghhh

3 Likes

Those corners are neat as a pin. Well done.

3 Likes

Distraction sewing while I still have electricity…made stockings for my two black cats. They get treats and toys and they give underwear and socks…

The red one is for Rocket and the green one is for Spud.

14 Likes

That is some really lovely fabric! Hope you are all staying safe there.

2 Likes

Cute stockings and cute fabric! Stay safe.

3 Likes

Those are adorable. I love that they give undergarments lol!

Keeping you in mind during the storm, sending safe thoughts!

1 Like

Those are adorable, and really make me want to make stockings for my cats now…

3 Likes

These are so cute! Hope you are doing OK, I’ve been thinking of you.

2 Likes

81 days until Christmas!

That’s like 8 weeks until December 1st!

6 Likes

Ack! I need to get BUSY!

2 Likes

Lol of course there are 69 days left when I click that link :smile:

4 Likes

You cheeky thing, you.

I’m almost finished with Christmas sock 2 of 6… we’ll see what happens with that. Haha

2 Likes