CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2021/22

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Illuminated manuscript
House: Ravenclaw
Brief Description: This is a totally bonkers idea, but I love crazy ideas. I have an an essay to do for art school. It is only 1000-1500 words, but forms a significant part of one of my modules for this year. The brief is to take one piece of pre 1900 art and answer one of a set of questions. The question I am answering is ‘Discuss the materials and techniques used in making this work and comment on the status and value of the materials used, Support with historical evidence’

I love blue and I love lapiz lazui. Up until the 18C the ultramarine blue you see in paintings was often made from pure lapis. I decided to make the pigment from a stone and try it out and write about my findings (having okayed it with the prof) but from there I spiralled. I have made medieval ink in the past and one of this years resolutions is to practice hand lettering.

We are required to submit our work digitally but for fun (I have wierd ideas of what constitutes fun) I decided that it would be so cool to produce a copy of the essay in the form of a medieval illuminated manuscript. My reference for my essay is a 15c french illuminated page. My plan is to first write the essay normally and then to produce a copy as an illuminated manuscript. I will first learn how to do gothic textura script. Write out my essay, then add bits of gold leaf and then paint, I will copy the illustration from my reference piece-using the lapis lazuli paint. and add painted intitals for some of the letters and a painted border.

The essay is due in April, but I hope to hand it to my professor before then and hopefully watch her eyes pop out of her head. :wink:

7 Likes

Class Muggles studies
House Ravenclaw
Project this were for @aimr in the ornament swap, she likes flamingos too and how could I resist! I did the painting (and glitter) on a purchased wooden snowflake.

Class Detention-Reparo
House Ravenclaw
Project, I altered another snowflake to suit me ( :wink: or @aimr in this case) gnomes!!

Class Transfiguration
House Ravenclaw
Project This took forever. It is an illuminated initial, mostly just for practice for my advanced studies. The drawing was prepared, some areas painted in with gesso, and allowed dry overnight, then the gesso was gold leafed. And the design painted in with the tiniest brush and gouache paints. Playing card and brushes for scale.

Class Head Trees Lights
House Ravenclaw
Project, I made these 50s inspired pouches for my partner @jemimah for the 12 days of christmas swap, hopefully to warm her heart

6 Likes

@Edel, your project does sound both completely bonkers, and amazing. I can’t wait to see what you do darling!

Thank you, and thanks for access to the homework planner :kissing_heart:

1 Like

What @Edel - that outfit it incredible. Almost enough to distract me from that shameful lock of hair on show :wink:!
Seriously, its stunning.

1 Like

I know, shocking!!

2 Likes

Your Medieval Russian Outfit is beautiful, Edel! And you look stunning in it! Congrats on finishing. You earned 100 points for your house! :tada:

And your next wildly ambitious project has been added to the project log! Good luck!

Ah-hem.

:scroll: Note from the Advanced Studies Examiner’s Office :scroll:

Each year, I like to clean out some Advanced Studies Proposals that seem to been hit with Arresto Momentum. I have collected those proposals that are more than 3 years old below. Please let me know if you wish to extend your proposal and I will reinstate them with a new date. If you do not plan to continue the proposal, you can ignore me and it will be deleted from the log by the end of the month.

:lion: Gryffindor
@MistressJennie Astronomy, Feb 10, 2018

:badger: Hufflepuff
@katiebread Potions - Polyjuice Potion, July 16, 2018
@Moonflame Muggle Studies, Feb 10, 2018
@patty_o_furniture Divination 2, Dec 10, 2018

:eagle: Ravenclaw
@Audania Transfiguration, May 21, 2018
@TheArtsyRaven Muggle Studies, June 6, 2018
@tiamatfire SoAR, March 16, 2018 AND Charms, April 30, 2018

:snake: Slytherin
@Ashes7727 Charms, March 5, 2018
@cheyenneatheart Transfiguration Option 1, May 4, 2018

Thank you all for your time and attention!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Bankhead Hat Pattern
Brief Description: I made this hat as an xmas gift for Mr. Road. It’s knitted rings! He has barely taken it off, so I had to snag a pic on his head. :roll_eyes:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Bankhead Hat #2 Pattern
Brief Description: I made this hat as an xmas gift for my BIL. Knitting is definitely a medium I love, but I know some folks don’t like it!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Grogu Ornaments Tutorial
Brief Description: My previous attempts at poly clay projects were serious fails. I don’t know why I decided to try again! I made 2 of these little poly clay ornaments - a new (successful) medium for me!
Project Picture:

Challenge Title: Detention: WIP
Project Name & Page Link: Quilted Coasters
Brief Description: These quilted coasters were made from blocks I pieced as part of the Quiltalong earlier in the year. They sat around until Xmas when I decided to finally turn them into something useful and fun!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Holiday Sugar Cookies
Brief Description: These cookies are both red and white (and green), and a perfect antidote to a delayed Xmas celebration due to COVID stress and anxiety.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Lentil Loaf
Brief Description: The blender was my friend for this recipe (blended lentils and blended oats).
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
LC Contest Entry: LC Bake Off Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Yule Log Cake
Brief Description: Inspired by the LC Bake Off Challenge, I decided to attempt a Yule Log Cake for the first time. It certainly required dangerous overconfidence for a non-baker like me to jump into this recipe!
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Challenge Title: Detention: Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Rebel Alliance Mug Rug
Brief Description: This ticker tape style mug rug was made fully from stash!
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Hi @Abbeeroad ! I would like to keep on with the Muggle Studies project. It’s nearly done, lol!

And OMG your mug rug is so cool!

1 Like

You got it!

Hey Abbee, since I can’t open the link to figure out what my Advanced Studies project even was, and I can’t remember what I might have proposed, I clearly am not going to do it. Go ahead and delete it!

lol…yes, I realized most of these links (all) go to Deadster, and so they aren’t very useful!

I will delete!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Ancient Runes
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Basic Socks
Brief Description: It took me long enough, but I finally put this beautiful sock yarn to use. My DS calls it Creeper yarn because it looks like the Minecraft bad guy. I made these socks for my DH on a knitting loom.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Baubles
Project Name & Page Link: Handspun Cabled Beanie
Brief Description: This beanie was for my FIL, but the cables are totally my style. The handspun wool/silk should keep him good and warm for the small part of the cold season he spends up North.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Garland
Project Name & Page Link: Economy Lap Quilt
Brief Description: This quilt isn’t exactly pretty, but it is definitely warm! Just in time for the January chill, I was inspired to finish this up (though I may end up making it larger).
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Star
Project Name & Page Link: Malabrigo Chevron Beanie
Brief Description: I love textured stitching in crochet! Malabrigo yarn really makes those stitches pop and this pattern is just gorgeous. The hat is for my niece.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Alpaca Handspun Yarn
Brief Description: My DH bought me this fiber, from a local farm, for my birthday. It’s silky and slippery to work with, and I chain-plied it (something a lot of spinners dislike doing). Chain-plying is methodical and, for me, relaxing once I find my groove. This is just my 2-oz sampling skein…I still have almost a pound left to spin.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Angel
Project Name & Page Link: Fleece Blankets
Brief Description: My boys are my angels, and that includes my pup. They each wanted, and received, a cozy blanket for Christmas. But, the dog was definitely the most thrilled about it - he just loves his blankets (and he doesn’t destroy the fleece ones).
Project Picture:

6 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Scrap Buster Quilt
Brief Description: Just as the name implies, this quilt will be a stash buster. I have lots of scraps, both large and small. I will use a few techniques to, hopefully, utilize them all. Individual squares will be 9" and be composed of crumbs, strips, and traditional piecing patterns. No theme, no color scheme, no rhyme or reason…just random, scrappy fun.

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: Charcoal Baby Sweater
Brief Description: This is the first of the 4 baby sweaters I made for my husband’s coworkers, who are all having babies right around the time we are. This one is half of a set, for twins due in March. The gold one below is it’s match. It’s crocheted, which is a medium that uses loops and rings. The pattern is the Essential Baby Sweater, and is a free download. It’s a fast and easy project.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: 12 Tree’s - Angel
Project Name & Page Link: Ari’s Hat
Brief Description: My niece Ari is one of the angels in my life. She’s funny and smart and kind, and makes me laugh. She calls me after school when she’s bored, and tells me silly stories and asks about the baby. I offered to make her a hat, but only if she wanted one and thought she would wear it. She was very excited about it, and picked the yarn from my stash. She was thrilled to see I had black & rainbow. The pattern is the Simple Double Crochet Hat, and it’s super easy. I did alter mine a bit. I opted for some fpdc and bpdc stitch along the brim to give it a ribbed texture, and when I finished the prescribed number of rows, it was a bit short, so I added 2 more rows of ribbed dc, and 1 of sc.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: 12 Trees - Candles
Project Name & Page Link: Gold Baby Sweater
Brief Description: Hopefully this baby sweater (and it’s match, the charcoal grey one), will give their recipients a warm glow.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: 12 Trees - Garland
Project Name & Page Link: Grey Baby Sweater
Brief Description: The cool icy greys and blues remind me of winter. This one is for the baby that was just born, Charlie Grey.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: 12 Trees - Icicles
Project Name & Page Link: Raspberry Crumble Bars
Brief Description: These bars must be kept at 350 degrees for over half an hour. (They were also a great way to use up some of my homemade Raspberry Rose Jam!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: 12 Trees - Tinsel
Project Name & Page Link: Mia’s Hat
Brief Description: Ari’s sister Mia loves blue, and sparkle. So I was thrilled to use some blue sparkle silk DGY for her hat. She opted for a white fur pompom, but I forgot to snap a picture of the pom sewn on, so here’s the hat itself.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Red Baby Sweater
Brief Description: This sweater is going to the baby due in February. Nothing like a beautiful deep red for Gryffindor pride.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

LOVE the sound of that awesome scrappy project! Your proposal has been added to the project log!

1 Like

Challenge Title: Headmistress: Baubles
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Quilt top
Brief Description: Making a quilt top for Afghanistan Refugees coming to my city. I use a cricut mat and 1" fabric squares to plan it out. Then made the quilt top.
Project Picture:

Challenge Title: Transfiguration
SPEW: yes for https://www.liftinghandsinternational.org/ who are working on resettling Afghan refugees in the SLC ut area.
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Quilt -quilted and bound
Brief Description: The machine quilting on this felt like it took ages. But it is done, yay!

7 Likes

What a great project. I love that you used the 1” squares to plan!