COMPLETED: Holiday Present Swap - S/U: 7/29-8/14 - S/O 11/6

I’m excited about this one. I need to sign up!

Holy heck! I haven’t thought about my Wist in ages!! I am still filling out my q as I want to make it detailed. I always forget something, though lol

1 Like

Dangggg… I wanna! Not sure if I dare though…

I never know what to put! Then I usually forget what I put! Although, this round of swaps I’m asking for the same things…which is fine because I never know what someone will pick, and if they do pick the same thing, everyone’s style is different! Win-win for me!

1 Like

I always struggle with what’s appropriately a large. Or rather, what I feel comfortable asking for. Like I might be greedy for asking for something that’s really more than a large, like an extra large.

2 Likes

This is exciting! I love the idea of this swap and being able to spoil someone with a bunch of their favorite things!!!

Yes. I’ve already been churning over what would I feel comfortable asking for. My plan was to make it appropriately vague so as not to be overwhelming or taxing.

I was talking to @wittychild about how a ‘simple’ cross stitch can take hours!!! Like HOURS HOURS!!

2 Likes

I was doing the back and forth over whether certain things were small/medium. I really think some of these things just depend on the maker. Yes, cross stitch takes forever! Even the “easy” ones!

1 Like

I also struggle with what to ask for, I just want to craft for someone that is craft worthy.

I do plan on joining this swap, I just need a list of what I want. I love everything crafted, but I think I need to be more specific.

1 Like

I will think about this one.

I have lots of Pinterest boards but I created one just for this swap so I can give it more consideration

I think I figured out enough things to put on my questionnaire and sent it. I do have a good Pinterest that I am always adding to so that should help too.

2 Likes

I’ll be sending in my info too!!

I have a huge Pinterest but I too have a hard time listing things I want… I like to leave it pretty open for my partner so they don’t feel pressured to make that exact thing!

1 Like

YES! I’m super on the fence about this swap for this reason. (Well, that and the not wanting to ask for stuff that’s too involved or large/“large”.) Three hours of cross-stitch can look really underwhelming.

2 Likes

I have a question about this bit… I am uncomfortable deciding what kinds of things should fall into these size categories, firstly, I have no idea what skill-set my partner will have and don’t want to pigeon-hole them into things outside of their comfort zone. Also, a small for one person may be considered a large for another based on their abilities and time. And, depending on how detailed or large or small something is made, it could easily be shifted up or down a size.

I have no problem listing items I like, and sharing my massive Pinterest, but to determine each category feels too restrictive. I also have ideas about what I’d like to spoil someone with and they likely won’t be on anyone’s list, but I imagine they would be tickled to receive them.

I guess what I’m asking is, can I not put specifics into each size category, still include a list of items I like, and let my partner decide what to do for each? (I am happy to be surprised by everything. I love getting unique pieces that I would never have considered because it simply wasn’t on my radar ). Does that make sense? :grin:

1 Like

The idea of the list to to not pigeon hole people but help them with ideas. It’s not a list in concrete. It’s a list of inspiration.

It’s up to each person when they craft something to determine what size an item is. If my partner listed a bound journal as a large and I decide to make that And it only takes me 3 hours then I’m going to count it as a medium. Likewise if they list dishcloth as a small but I get all fancy and do something intricate I’d count it as a medium.

I’d prefer everyone has a list to offer guidance to their partners. Many of us are uncomfortable “asking” for larges or know what’s appropriate. This is just for guidelines. Used in conjunction with Pinterest it’ll help people hone in on their partner’s likes and hopefully create a package tailored to their partner. I think in general people are fine with receiving items not on their list as long as thought and care went into crafting it! And as always communication with your partners is best to work these things out :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the clarification. I have a tendency to over-think things sometimes. I will sit down and give this some good thought.

1 Like

I have no idea if some of my ideas fit into the right size slot, but I hope my partner will adjust as necessary. I’m one of those people who love a long list of ideas for my partner, even if I don’t stick to it. So don’t get too hung up on sizes, I think we are all in the same boat.

2 Likes

TRUE! But, for those who know, it is a really amazing gift. @momiemae stitched me the coolest Halloween ghost scarecrow, with pumpkins for a swap in 2016, and it’s one of my very favs.

Which is why I’ve also broken and done a few of them.

I think it’s gonna be a really fun swap group! I hope you have time!!

1 Like

I finally sent in my questionnaire!
whew! I think that’s the longest time I’ve ever taken for one of those. I’m always in the same boat about the sizing also. I just added in my q that if there is something that I put in my “small” category that would be a “large” for them to make, then by all means put that as a large.
I am so very excited to begin crafting for this swap. I know everyone on here makes some amazing things!

2 Likes