COMPLETE : Invite Your Partner 2021 swap, Sign up Feb 4 – Feb 18, Send out Apr 1

I am making significant progress on the big item for one partner. I am tickled about this piece.

3 Likes

Y’all are making me nervous with all the sending out already! :cold_sweat:

We have until April 1st, right??? :laughing:

7 Likes

I know, right!? I asked my partner about her schedule and we decided that we’ll be sending in mid-March if everything goes according to plan!

5 Likes

Yeah, uh, not sending this week either! :eyes:

But stretching out the gallery makes for inspiration as the rest of us craft!

5 Likes

I’m not sending this week either!

5 Likes

I got my butt down to the USPS today to pick up that last supply order I was waiting on and finished #2. And I got a goodly bit done on #1, too! YEY for it not snowing enough to need plowing or shoveling today! :snowman: I also did some scheming on some more extra-ish type stuffs. :wink:

6 Likes

Still waiting on stuff… :slightly_frowning_face: I think that’s pretty much the last thing for @TheMistressT but if I know me, I’ll get bored and she’ll end up with a bunch of extras while I wait. :wink:

And I’m still working on @tendstowardschaos’ package. I’m attempting something that I have never tried before… cue the dramatic music

6 Likes

We’ve still got several weeks before sendouts - this is quite a leisurely paced swap :tropical_drink: :palm_tree:

Check in question - Do you have a childhood/teen memory of a special craft project that you made? What was a particular project you were proud of?

I remember making things in sewing class at school (maybe about 12 years old?) Once we’d mastered the the basics we could choose our own thing to make. My mother was a keen dressmaker and made most of our clothes, so I’d learned a bit at home too. I chose a shirt with a yoke and collar in a blue and green and white check. For some reason gold lurex was in at the time, and I remember thinking the shirt was fantastic because it had gold lurex threads running through the checked fabric, and even gold piping on the yoke (and I think on the pockets and cuffs too?). It looked so amazing with my gold lurex knee length socks and denim knickerbockers. Yep, gold lurex and denim knickerbockers …

6 Likes

No way! I am so excited!

2 Likes

I don’t! I wasn’t very crafty as a teen or child. I was so into music and movies. I only started being crafty in my 30’s. Oh wait! I did have a spin art toy that I loved. I guess that is crafty.

5 Likes

I wasn’t crafty either! My family didn’t have the money for hobbies like that. I’m glad I am now, though. It’s the best.

3 Likes

For the check in question there are too many to count! But here’s one that stands out :wink:

In high school I was in an art class that taught more “unusual” crafts (not just standard painting/drawing styles). At one point (I think for our final project) we made these three dimensional monster/dragons. They were big and textured! We used wire to for the bodies and I think papier-mâché over that. Then we learned how to make different scale shapes and textured by cutting and folding old an old sheet. We used a glue mixture that kept the sheet pieces in place and also hardened them. After allllll that we painted them. I can’t remember mine well and I often wish I still had it (but where would I keep such a thing?) I think he had claws and wings and pointy teeth… I’ve never made anything similar since so I’ve lost the how-to memory too :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Home ec was totally my favorite class! I came from a long line of sewers except my mother, she couldn’t sew a button, so I had lots of aunties that helped me out.

2 Likes

I did a lot of sewing from probably about 9 or 10. Starting in 8th or 9th grade I starting making clothes for myself and I think the pieces that stand out are some leggings made with this red with 1" black type written French words on it that I got at the Jantzen Outlet store (Jantzen swimsuits, etc. is based near my hometown) (9th graade), a double-breasted dress in a white “linen” that I wore to my high school graduation, and my purple lamé prom dress! SOOOOOOOOO 80s, y’all! So. 80s.

4 Likes

I learned to sew at age 12, so made a bunch of clothes in high school, but the big exciting thing was probably that I set up a giant island chain of lego places in my basement, with various landscapes made out of different non-lego things and yarn hair and fabric skirts for the girls (the days before actual girl lego figures…)

3 Likes

I loved ceramics class back in 7th and 11th grades. And, they’re pretty much the only school projects I still have.

The black vase and Odo’s head (I loved Star Trek) are from 7th grade.

The teapot, votive holder (only thing I managed on a potter’s wheel), and mug are from high school. The mug has the banner from The Wheel of Time books on it.

8 Likes

How cool that you still have that stuff @tendstowardschaos!

I’ve always been super crafty. Took home ec, too, all through high school so I took some fairly advanced classes and sewed a lot of my own clothes. I will NEVER make jeans again if I can avoid it. Such a horrible experience.

I vaguely remember doing electroplating in 10th grade. I also made a set of screwdrivers with an injection molder in shop class. It was really fun and I was pretty proud of those screwdrivers, which I gave to my Dad for Christmas.

4 Likes

Oh man, I’ve been artsy and crafty since I could hold a crayon. lol… there are so many memories. When I was in elementary school I used a lot of that oily modeling clay you could get at any store. I made a series of alien figures playing instruments and they lived on a shelf in my room. I wish someone had thought to take a picture of them…

4 Likes

When I was 10 or so I completed a latchhook project and framed it. I was very proud of it. it was of a tiger.
In highschool art I made a paper mache tiger. one of the requirements was it had to stand on it’s own and one leg was too short so I glued a rock on the bottom of it’s foot.

4 Likes

We had to take a shop class when we were in 8th grade as one of our 16 week electives for the year. I ended up making a small side table and it is still in use 30 years later. A few years ago, I noticed that it wasn’t standing up straight anymore and asked my husband about it. He said his friend came over with his two kids and the 3 year old and 5 year old were taking turns was using it as a jungle gym during their visit. It ended up breaking a bit from the misuse, but a little TLC and some fresh glue and it’s all better. :slight_smile:

I love reading everyone’s stories. They’re all so great!

I’ll probably be one of the senders closer to the date with this one. I’m still working to finish up one other swap before I start this one.

4 Likes