COMPLETED: Mini Handmade Book Swap - SO 3/22

That’s the best test…either you want to keep it or your spouse or kids want to keep a swap item. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Cut some pages out of an older book I made ages ago so that it’ll fit more paste-in stuff, and I think they’ll work well for this mini-book.

2 Likes

I also demolished an older book I had and never used. Apparently I like to make them and not use them. I do have some favorites and some waiting for inspiration.
My test cover technique is coming along fine, I think it will graduate from test to actual. Tonight is my crafting night, I get kicked out of the living room (I graciously offer to vacate every Thursday) so my DW can Zoom in comfort. It’s just an excuse to craft. So more experimental fun.

3 Likes

How on Earth can I sit down two days in a row and knock out a complete project? There is something magical about crafting for someone else that really motivates me!

I also can’t help but think of terrible past projects I’ve made for swaps… some of them make me want to hide in shame! And yet I wouldn’t be where I am today without having done them. :woman_shrugging:

Special shout out to @thanate for inspiring me to grow even more through various swap packages that have gone her way :wink:

So yeah, I’m done with the initial book. But there’s still more to do to make it extra special. So I won’t be sending yet :grin: And I think I’ll be making a similar one for myself, it’s just too cool not to do again! lol I’m really proud of it! I hope @SonjaBoo likes it too :grimacing:

4 Likes

Pages for the book have been selected and trimmed, as evidenced by my messy workspace :stuck_out_tongue: It was fun sorting through my paper stash and deciding which papers would make the cut!

Now on to the cover. I have an image in my mind of what it should look like…let’s see if that materializes when I put everything together!

2 Likes

I’m struggling with my idea because although I envision it in paper, every time I go to do any part of it I reach for fabric! I’m going to have to figure this out…

1 Like

make a fabric cover. I received a wonderful scrappy covered journal in a swap. Or use fabric for the endpapers.

And letting glue dry, anyone have a song for that?

1 Like

Every piece you glue
Everything you do
Every craft you make
I’ll be watching you

6 Likes

Finger stuck to thumb
I got that stuff all over
Where is my patience?

5 Likes

Glue haiku

snort

2 Likes

Made up some signatures, now contemplating bindings…

1 Like

Done! Tried a few new techniques and now the photoshoot and packaging. I have a few items to send out so I am trying to do one trip to the PO.

I like the little mini book. Hmm do I have time to make one for me?

3 Likes

I found something in stash I totally forgot about and it’s perfect for the idea I had for this. Like so perfect, it’s eerie.

1 Like

I completed one version of the book cover. I’m going to try something different and then decide which one is better. I have the book structure ready and one of two (or three) signatures prepared, so I hope to put it all together this weekend.

1 Like

I’ve been doing mockups and taking pictures of the book cover for @marionberries. After a couple of false starts, I’m finally happy with how things are looking. Now all I gotta do is ______, ______, ______!!! :scream_cat:

1 Like

He he he…yours is boxed up and waiting for a trip to the PO.

1 Like

Option 1 has failed and now I need to find another supply. (I have some, I’m just not quite sure what box to look in…)

1 Like

I’ve finished assembling the mini book for @marionberries and I’m pretty pleased with it!!
Now it’ll rest on my desk for a few days to see if I need to add anything else to it…probably not but ya never know
:thinking:

I need to take a leap of faith in my illustrative powers. I’ve never been very good at drawing so it’s a bit scary for me. If it doesn’t work out I have a back up plan though. At least I have confidence in the book making part.

1 Like

I went to the PO yesterday, Sunday, and the kiosk was down. Arrggh. Now I have to go stand in line in the overheated crowded lobby. At least folks are masked and more or less follow the 6 foot rule.