CLOSED - Nerd Games - Summer 2023

That dress (tunic?) :heart_eyes:

I love the variety of projects here.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Prompt: August Battle–Dish Soap
Team: Sherlock Holmes
Project Name: Stuffed Zuchinni (vegan or vegetarian)
Project Link: Stuffed Zuchinni (vegetarian or vegan)
Brief Description: A way to use up those giant zuchinnis… and have lots of leftovers. While making this, it has to simmer, which means it bubbles just under the boiling point :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

I forgot to take a photo before I cut it up to store it in the fridge… oops!

I hope I did this right; it’s my first entry besides the anniversary one :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Team: Sherlock
Project Name: Ugly storage
Project Link:
Brief Description: I recently moved and trying to find effective storage for things can be tricky. We have WAY too much stuff. So I cobbled together bits of moving boxes and made these storage bins (the ones with the orange and blue tape on them) so that I can slide them out of the cupboard kind of like drawers, to make it easier to find stuff. They are not pretty. They are not even “pretty -adjacent”!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Team: Sherlock
Project Name: Chaos x-stitch
Project Link:
Brief Description: This cross stitch will likely end up in my STS shop.
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Broom
Team: Team Columbo
Project Name: Esquites
Project Link:
Brief Description: We got corn on the cob from our CSA and I made esquites. I used a broom to clean up all the corn strewn around my kitchen after cutting it off the cob. :sweat_smile:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Glass Cleaner
Project Name: Bloomin onion
Project Link:
Brief Description: My partner found an air fryer recipe for a bloomin’ onion. I tried to do it. It was okay…but definitely not good. The air fryer is not a deep fryer, lol. The onion was very delicate after cutting it.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Dish Soap
Project Name: Felt donut
Project Link:
Brief Description: Continuing my easy bed time craft kits, this felt donut is circular and may end up living in my kitchen.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Cleanser
Project Name: Card folders
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve been upping my card writing game, and decorated some card folders with washi - many of which are speckled with images (and also rubbing off that tape residue is very gritty).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Bleach
Project Name: Chili
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made a big pot of delicious chili. My best batch in a while. And the house smelled wonderful for a day. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - All-Purpose Cleaner
Project Name: Felt taco
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made a felt taco, too. Has multiple colors, shapes, and parts. He’s got a clip so he can hang off a bag (or maybe be a huge keychain, lol).

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Felt kitty
Project Link:
Brief Description: And a felt kitty in a pumpkin.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Chorizo Tacos
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made tacos. I actually made two batches, but forgot to take a photo of the ones with fried shells.

Project Photo(s):

tacos - Copy

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Needle punch
Project Link:
Brief Description: I did this needle punch kit over the past few days. I frogged it so many times I’m actually surprised the fabric was still holding together at the end.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Superman Magnet
Project Link:
Brief Description: One of my card recipients likes Superman. I made a superman magnet with my printer and Zyron. It’s about 5 inches across at the widest part.

Project Photo(s):

superman magnet - Copy

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Lunch
Project Link:
Brief Description: This looks so dumb to submit, but I made a fancy mustard sauce for the croissant sandwiches, which you can barely see on the bottom under the cheese, lol. It was mayo, dijon and whole grain mustard, lemon juice, honey, and garlic powder. Yum.

Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Hey y’all, check out this post announcing an event for Fall, and see if you want to participate! (P.S. I’m offering some craft kits!)

7 Likes

I love the usability of these boxes on shelves. Practically is great, especially when there are stressors like moving and starting fresh somewhere new. And I happen to think a well-organized space is beautiful, no matter what’s being used to organize it :slight_smile:

Also… I love the “chaos coordinator” cross stitch. Perhaps i should borrow that title and put it on my office door at home :joy:

4 Likes

I caught up on tracking and updating the team rosters.

Please make sure I got all of your projects submitted checked off… I got distracted in the middle of updating tracking on Friday when my husband called because he’d been in a car accident (he’s totally fine. We find out Wednesday if our car was totaled). I think I got everything, but if you see any discrepancies, let me know!

4 Likes

Sorry you’re going through all that stress, @storerboughtcreation ! Glad your husband is okay!

1 Like

Im glad your husband’s okay! I hope everything goes smoothly with the car situation.

1 Like

Yikes, @storerboughtcreation! Glad to hear everything is (relatively) okay.

Prompt: Cleanser (August)
Team: Miss Marple
Project Name: Teal solar print
Project Link: Solar Prints a la megwell
Brief Description: It’s not a towel by design, but you could use it in a bathroom.
Project Photo(s): Top print in this photo

Prompt: Broom (August Battle)
Project Name: Violet solar print
Project Link: Solar Prints a la megwell
Brief Description: This item, and all the bits I used to print on it, would get stuck in a vacuum, so it’s gotta be broom.
Project Photo(s):
Bottom print in the previous photo.

Editing to add one I forgot:
Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Fox hoop
Project Link: LC Fox Mixed Media Hoop (Or, Look, Ma, I Stitched!)
Brief Description: I made this at the '23 Champaign meetup.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: Battle August- Vacuum
Project Name: Rhubarb Lattice Pie
Brief Description: Last of the rhubarb & I attempted a pretty pie, it caught a little on top. I had to go with vacuum because I unfortunately still have carpet in our kitchen

Prompt: July - Cubism
Team: miss marple
Project Name: Salted corn ice cream
Brief Description: Made of many many pieces of corn (and cream and sugar) this was a fun different icecream

Prompt: August Bleach
Project Name: Beet hummus
Brief Description: My niece loves beet hummus so I had to give it a try. I made 3 different types. my favorite was topped with fragrant crushed fennel seeds. Love the muted pink

Prompt: August Cleanser
Project Name: Rhubarb Oatmeal Cookies
Brief Description: Speckled with rhubarb these are delicious cookies

Prompt: Research 1
Project Name: Bookshelves
Brief Description: I built bookshelves to go next to the fireplace, they’re only temporary so I kept them simple so they can go in any room later

Prompt: August dish soap
Project Name: Blueberry oatmeal cookies
Brief Description: Circular with berries of blue these are yummy cookies

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Crochet Popcorn Garland
Brief Description: I am hoping to make a few of these before Christmas, this one is 8 feet long with bead "cranberries ". it is a nice take along project, but a full garland takes quite a bit of time

Prompt: August- All purpose cleaner
Project Name: Flower arrangement
Brief Description: Gathered flowers around the yard as well as a few of the neighbors’. lots of colors, lots of shapes, lots of parts

7 Likes

We have a lot of newbies this season, so I thought I’d share my answer to a question I received. This may help everyone out. I vaguely remember being confused by the battles a bazillion years ago back on Craftster. :blush:

—-

Every season runs for three months. Each month has a battle to complete, so there is a total of three. They are their own separate prompts. For the bingo card, you’d need to complete all three battles. You only need to choose a side when posting the battle prompt.

Each month also has 5 regular prompts. Those you don’t need to pick a side for, you just post that prompt. The battle has nothing to do with those. By the end of the season there are 15 of these.

Here are the crafting opportunities broken down another way:

These should take a minimum of 30 minutes to craft. Worth 20 points each.
Monthly battle - 3 total. Choose your side.
Monthly prompt - 15 total. No side choosing needed. Just include which prompt you’re doing in the header
Free range - 6 total. You can use this to post whatever you want. Useful for when your craft doesn’t fit a prompt or you’ve done all of the prompts already and have a few extras to share

This take less than 30 minutes. Worth 10 points each.
Zap - 5 total. For those crafts that don’t take much time to complete.

This should take longer than 5 hours. Worth 50 points each.
Big time - 3 total. For those larger projects.

This should take longer than 20 hours. Worth 100 points each.
Research project - 2 per season. For when you finish a time intensive project.

6 Likes

I can’t imagine the taste of corn ice cream. Does it taste at all like corn?

I love your popcorn garland, and your fireplace setup is so cute!!!

2 Likes

thank you

the corn icecream tastes like sweetcorn, & really good vanilla icecream had a baby

my son asked me if i “can be more midwestern” when i offered him some.

6 Likes

Prompt: Aug – Glass Cleaner
Team: Nancy Drew
Project Name: Busy Street Pocket Letter
Project Link: Town Tryptic Pocket Letter
Brief Description: These ATCs are in a clear plastic holder. Clear like glass!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Aug – Bleach
Team: Nancy Drew
Project Name: Lemon Hang On.
Project Link:
Brief Description: The Hang Ons are useful on door handles so you don’t forget little things. My Laundry Room has a door headed outside, so this would be useful to me there.
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

The other special Anniversary Event is posted! :slight_smile: I have more prizes I’ll be adding over the next few weeks!

If anyone wants to offer prizes (and ship them directly to the winners), PM me a short description and image and I’ll get them added!

1 Like

Can’t believe I’ve been MIA again! Busy, but quick summer, and it’s back to school week, already. Quick post to get something in for the battle- I have a few more but just realized how late it is already.

Prompt: August Battle- Vacuum
Team: Columbo
Project Name: Crochet Club Zipper Pouch Set #1
Project Link: (Coming soon…)
Brief Description: I run a Crochet (& Knit) Club at school, and I had half a dozen kids who came almost every week (plus some occasional drop ins). I decided to make each of my “regulars” a set of zipper pouches in their favorite color- the larger one for hooks, a pair of scissors, etc. and the smaller one for stitch markers and yarn needles.

How does it fit the prompt? After making 12 pouches (the rest will be posted soon), there were plenty of thread bits and snipped pieces of fabric that needed to be vacuumed out of the carpet at my aunt’s time share!

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Glad to hear your husband is OK! I hope your car is OK too :heart:

1 Like

I love the chopsticks bag set; it’s beautifully made. And those birds are so cute. I love them all, but I think my favourite may be the cardinal.

2 Likes