CLOSED - Nerd Games - Summer 2023

Glad to hear your husband is OK! I hope your car is OK too :heart:

1 Like

I love the chopsticks bag set; it’s beautifully made. And those birds are so cute. I love them all, but I think my favourite may be the cardinal.

2 Likes

@storerboughtcreation that multi-coloured lion :heart_eyes: So gorgeous! Are the cats also cross-stitch? I love the little doll. And the Moray Christmas cross-stitch made me laught :slight_smile:

@gozer I love all your paintings, but I think the cat one may be my favourite in your anniversary post. Those blue eyes are just so beautiful :cat: :heart: :cat: I love your purses too!

@QueenHobo I love the carousel blanket :heart: such beautiful colours, and it looks so cozy. And I love the paw detail on your bag :slight_smile: :paw_prints: Also, I just want to snuggle that little sloth :sloth: So cute!

@Bunny1kenobi I love your quilts! And the miniature (apothecary?) is so cool!

@bluebird the “no cat questions” bird makes me laugh every time I look at it :blush:

@storerboughtcreation that monster look so snuggly; I want to squeeze it :heart: 41-year-olds can also be strange creatures :heart: I find it adorable :blush:

@ezrib that looks delicious!

@roler that’s a beautiful card!

@gozer we need baggies like this at our front door… then maybe, just maybe, people wouldn’t lose their lip balm… and their library cards… and their keys… and… you get the picture lol! Such a neat concept, and I love the fabric choices.

@AudiobookLover It’s my first time here, too! I love your purrmaid/mercat pillow :cat: :mermaid:t5:

@LovelyMiss I love Poppet so much :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you! Yes, the cats are cross stitched also. I also love the Moray Christmas cross stitch. I made it for @roler for Christmas a few years ago. She loves eels, and it was fun to work up.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Oof, I’ve been really busy lately but am popping in to post here! I’ll catch up on all your lovely projects soon; so fun to see this place so active!!

Prompt: August battle - Broom
**Team:**Columbo
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #1
Project Link:
Brief Description: I finally started scrapbook again after almost 20 years! I’ve really missed having a physical photo album to flip back through. For this page, I spent way too long cutting out little flags for the bunting, and I put them all together with some twine that reminds me of the straw of a broom! I also had to sweep away all the extra bits of paper!
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Today is the last day to request a junk journal kit! PLEASE DO IT! :grin:

3 Likes

I was tempted, but I know how things have been going (or not going) for me lately! I’m trying not to get overwhelmed with teaching our new curriculum- my brain was mush after school each day last year- so I can have the proper mindset for crafting. So, I didn’t want to take a kit if I wasn’t sure if I could complete one.

1 Like

I especially love your miniatures! So many details!

‘Chaos Coordinator’ captures the essence of so many of our lives!

1 Like

Prompt: September Battle -Physical
Team: Sherlock Holmes
Project Name: Yarn shelf
Brief Description: It has been a long time since I’ve had a physical space for my yarn. I’ve still got a lot to unpack but this shelf is finally full of goodies!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Subliminal Messaging
Project Name: Frog Lovey
Brief Description: There is a necessary item for all loveys, the poly fil for their heads which is not visible in the final product.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Disappearing Ink
Project Name: Bear Lovey
Brief Description: There is blue in the blanket of the lovey
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Secret Compartment
Project Name: Puppy Lovey
Brief Description: Made this for my youngest to snuggle with at night, so it will come in very useful for her
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Decoder Ring
Project Name: Mouse Lovey
Brief Description: It is silver/grey
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Mushroom Buddy
Brief Description: I made this for my oldest who is really into mushrooms. Since the pattern we both liked was not free and money is tight I decided to make up my own pattern for it.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: August - Dish Soap
Team: Nancy Drew
Project Name: monster
Project Link: Bedtime Defender Monsters… part 2!
Brief Description: This one is blue!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Cleanser
Brief Description: This one looks speckly because of the variegated colors.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - All-Purpose Cleaner
Brief Description: This uses multiple colors and has multiple parts
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Subliminal Messaging
Project Name: Monster
Brief Description: This takes lots of steps to finish. Plus it’s supposed to be a green olive, so maybe you want a martini now? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Disappearing Ink
Brief Description: This is blue
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Secret Compartment
Brief Description: The horns are yellow
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Decoder Ring
Brief Description: This is silver
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - battle - Digital
Brief Description: I am using a digital means to create my patterns as I go and share them with you lovely peeps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Project Photo(s):

Brief Description: This is the first owl shaped monster I made. It took me repeated tries to figure out how large to make the base (I usually work top down, not bottom up. I altered the pattern to make the monsters taller after this one.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Brief Description: a purple monkey monster
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September- Acrostic
Project Name: watercolor pencil painting
Project Link:
Brief Description: I used regular colored pencils dipped in water to see what would happen. It sort of worked. I tested the colors on paper then painted this “canvas.” It’s mounted on cheap paper and is from a Crayola kit.
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Hello again! I’ve basically only been scrapbooking this summer, so here’s some unapologetic prompt massaging to fit 'em in here! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (It feels a little weird to post a ton of personal photos to the main LC pages, but we’re all friends here, so enjoy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Prompt: September Battle - Physical messages
Team: Columbo
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #2
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve really been making a lot of scrapbook pages lately! They always take me forever; I am super slow and usually take a couple hours per page, but I have SO missed having physical albums to look back at. I even saved an actual receipt from this restaurant, complete with the server’s adorable drawing, as another physical reminder of the day! This page is from a fun time at an Alice in Wonderland themed restaurant I visited in January, in Osaka.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Glass Cleaner
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #3
Project Link:
Brief Description: Most of the pictures on this page were taken through the transparent glass windows of the bullet train!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Impressionism
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #4
Project Link:
Brief Description: This page uses papers and tapes/stickers of various different textures, and some pastel colors in the background.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Realism
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #5
Project Link:
Brief Description: This page shows people, making food that’s useful in everyday life!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Cubism
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #6
Project Link:
Brief Description: These pages are not in order, btw. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So the chronology is a bit weird in these posts! But this page has some blocky photos, and is made up of many different pieces of paper and photos!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Dish Soap
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #7
Project Link:
Brief Description: This page is very blue, and I actually bought some Pokémon pasta at the shop pictured on it, which I then cooked in the kitchen!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Bleach
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #8
Project Link:
Brief Description: This page has a very muted color scheme (for me at least; I usually like my colors to go bold!). And the food pictured smelled very good indeed!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - All-Purpose Cleaner
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #9
Project Link:
Brief Description: Lots of colors, lots of parts!
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Scrapbook Page #10
Project Link:
Brief Description: Lots of layers of papers that are covered up by others, lots of black!
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Scrapbook Page #11
Project Link:
Brief Description: Unsurprisingly, I used ink for this scrapbook page!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I love seeing your scrapbook pages. You got me into scrapbooking back in 2003-04, and I have one album I made then. I haven’t done anything in forever. Now I want to!

2 Likes

Prompt: July - Surrealism
Project Name: Scrapbook Page #12
Project Link:
Brief Description: This restaurant is literally called Alice in Fantasy Land! So set in a fantasy world. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Free Range #3
Team: Sherlock
Project Name: porkrock ATCs
Project Link: LARD of the Flies
Brief Description: Made for the mini pocket letter swap
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #4
Project Name: creepy ATCs
Project Link: Ominous Occupations
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: tiny creepy notebooks
Project Link: n/a
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: jointed frog
Project Link: n/a
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Prompt: Aug- Cleanser
Project Name: silver jewelry set
Project Link: n
Brief Description: The hammered sections of the rings give them a speckled appearance.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: September Battle - Physical
Team: Team Columbo
Project Name: Apple Crumble for 2
Project Link: Apple Crumble for 2
Brief Description: Y’all have seen me make this several times. I’ve finally refined the recipe and made a post about. :smiley: Physical because it’s instructions for a tangible item (even thought it’s presented digitally, I guess!)

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Country Captain Cauliflower with Coconut Rice
Project Link:
Brief Description: We have a local restaurant that had the most freaking delicious vegan cauliflower curry. They took it off their menu, much to my heartbreak. I tried to re-create it, and it was time and labor intensive, taking many steps before even getting to the cooking. The end result was a solid good, and it needs some tweaks. I’ll be trying it again!

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Needle Punch
Project Link:
Brief Description: Here’s another needle punch kit I did. I’ve definitely figured out the technique. Almost no frogging on this one! The fabric had an inked-on pattern that disappeared as it got filled with yarn, and the vases are blue.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Secret Compartment
Project Name: Felt foods
Project Link:
Brief Description: Some felt foods! A banana (yellow), tomato, and strawberry.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Decoder Ring
Project Name: Kawaii Felties
Project Link:
Brief Description: Food with faces is one of my favorite squee things. There are some various round shapes happening.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Acrostic
Project Name: Card Bundle
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve still been doing lots of cards for the letter writing group. I’ll probably submit some of the bigger ones as projects since they take so much time. And what do you know, here’s one now! I am a bit of an over-the-top person. I embrace this about myself, and I quickly found that stride with these cards requests, too, lol, making card folders stuffed with goodies.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Unicorn
Project Link:
Brief Description: This was also from a craft kit. When I bought it, along with a few others, the checkout person said, “Someone found the kid aisle.” And I responded, “I like cute, fun things.” And they go, “You could have lied and said they were for someone else.” And I was like, “Why lie, though? I’m fine finding joy in liking cute and fun things.” So, with that thwarted shame, this was cute, and fun, and took waaaay longer than I expected. It was a loom knitting kit, and the body is about the size of a large grapefruit. It took me almost NINE whole episodes of Stargate: Atlantis to finish. I feel slow, though when I consider crafting time I’m just always thinking about @storerboughtcreation crocheting, which I think is an unrealistic standard for most of us, lol!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Pottery Class
Project Link:
Brief Description: My mom and I have been taking a wheel pottery class the last couple of months. It’s been hard and fun and something I look forward to every week. Here is the batch of bowls I made from start to finish. (Also, if anyone likes calm and warm competition shows à la The Great British Bake Off, The Great Pottery Throw Down is available on HBO and is lovely - I binged it last year and it’s one of the things that made me interested in trying ceramics).

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Things I’m finding joy in include that unicorn, pretending the unicorn horn is actually flipping off that cashier (:arrow_left: slightly rude), and the fact that I’m not the only one who occasionally times projects by show episodes.

3 Likes

I found much joy in your comment! :grin: :rofl:

3 Likes

Idk why the cashier felt the need to say anything at all, but I like what @megwell said. Your food looks so yummy, and that unicorn is adorable. Doing new crafts always takes longer to do. I still don’t think I’m that fast. :laughing:

3 Likes