Clothing Pattern Preparation

I thought this was so odd. I strongly prefer to add my own SA. I have a 5/8" curved ruler that makes it pretty easy. It was a bit of a pain before I got that.

4 Likes

I was wondering about that one too, I think Google is wrong there! Seamstress should be the correct translation. Coupeuse comes from couper (to cut) in French, maybe it means hairdresser in another language, but certainly not in Dutch.

I had to think twice about choking, but thatā€™s actually a literal translation. In 20 years of sewing it never occured to me that sewing and choking are the same word in Dutch.

3 Likes

Really? ha ha I wonder how that became soā€¦maybe someone was trying to get something sewn and her spouse interrupted so she ended up choking him? ha ha

how very interestingā€¦and funny!

3 Likes

Hahahaha! Well yes, it is weird when you think about it!
I think it is funny that you write sew and you pronounce it like sow :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I also say a person is a seamstress because when you say they are a sewer, it is the same as the stinky thing! :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Hahahaha! That is funny too! Never thought about that!
Seamstress sounds better anyway :wink:

2 Likes

I donā€™t sew many commercial patterns, but when I do I always just cut out each pattern piece. It doesnā€™t take me long to cut them out and then I cut the actual fabric with a rotary cutter and use scissors for sharp angles/corners. I have heavy duty metal pattern weights that I use to hold pattern pieces down while I cut so I donā€™t have to pin. I am lucky that a few years ago I took private pattern making classes with a pattern maker, so I have tons of custom patterns that fit me and pattern blocks. Most of the clothing I make is those patterns, or my own patterns modified from those. I highly recommend dotted marking paper. It works great for pattern drafting.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always ironed the pattern paper onto my fabric, so a little bit of static holds it place while I cut the pieces out. Any time Iā€™ve used pins, Iā€™ve ripped the pattern pieces or cut something out wrong. So I cut out the pattern, iron the wrinkles out, then cut the fabric. I use around a 1/4" seam allowance, or the edge of my presser foot, even if the pattern calls for more. I usually have to modify clothing patterns because I have a long torso, and long arms. I had no idea there were so many ways to cut things out!

4 Likes

We have numerous words that are spelled the same (in English), but either is pronounced differently or when in context, have different meaningsā€¦or are spelled differently and pronounced the same. So it shouldnā€™t be a surprise that other languages have similar situations. And donā€™t get me started on those tricky contractions (your-youā€™re, itā€™s-its, etc.) Itā€™s amazing that we can even speak and be understood.

I just started doing voice overs for eLearning courses. Wow, does that make you question your pronunciation! And I seem to sometimes have a slight lisp. Who knew?

3 Likes

Now that I am back in the South, I am hearing so many different words and accents. Language is indeed different and quite beautiful in all of its nuancesā€¦I remember when I first heard myself speaking, that I was also surprised how much of a Southern accent I retained despite working hard to ā€œcorrectā€ it. I still pronounce certain words incorrectly even when I know how they should be doneā€¦habitā€¦how cool to take such a course! Is it for fun or for a job?

2 Likes

Actually, Iā€™m building the eLearning. I am an instructional designerā€¦among other things. Iā€™m on contract to a company for a few months and they have no budget for professional voice overs for their internal training courses. I have to put on my ā€œReceptionistā€ voice (one of my first real jobs in life) or ā€œTeacherā€ voice. Itā€™s really hard listening to myself all day as I edit the tracks. Luckily, I can repeat and repeat and repeat until I get it right.

Unlike cutting out patterns too small, or shortening the same pants leg twice by mistake.

5 Likes

Hahaha! LOL! :joy:

What a fun and interesting job Marionberries!

I really wondered about sewing pronouncing so differently, I watched several youtube sewing tutorials if I really heard the o instead of an e. Thanks to google translate, youtube or whatever channel on internet I can look up what I donā€™t know or understand. Even how to pronounce it. Yay for that!

1 Like

Does Burda still do that? If so, I just ruined some fabric. I cut my first Burda pattern the other night and did not know thisā€¦

1 Like

When they did those couple of BurdaStyle U.S. magazines, those had seam and hem allowances added. The current European editions donā€™t include allowances, and never have as far as I know. I believe the downloadable PDFs match the magazine versions. I do not know about their envelope patterns.

2 Likes