Coffee Infused Banana Bread & Mocha Variation

A couple of months ago I was chatting with @Abbeeroad, who asked for a good banana bread recipe. In pulling up the one I normally used from the Better Homes & Gardens classic red gingham cookbook, I stumbled onto a version of a coffee banana bread. Since I also had bananas to use up we both made some that day. The original recipe called for adding ground coffee straight into the flour mixture, which sounded silly to me. No matter how fine ground your coffee, it’s still going to make for gritty bread, so I swapped it out for instant coffee which would dissolve.

Over the course of the pandemic, I’ve made this bread 5 times now, changing something every time. I’ve finally perfected my version of the recipe, which includes changing the technique for infusing the coffee flavor, and upping the whole grains by using some whole wheat flour and some ground flax seed. But don’t worry if you don’t have those things, you can still use AP flour.

:coffee: :banana: :woman_cook: Coffee Infused Banana Bread :woman_cook: :banana: :coffee:
2 cups AP flour
1 – 2 teaspoon instant espresso or 1 T instant coffee
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup granulated sugar (I use a scant cup, especially if my bananas measure more than 1 cup)
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 large)
⅓ cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons milk of choice (I have used cashew or hazelnut with great results)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 T dark rum (optional)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
2 tablespoons espresso sugar or turbinado/raw sugar (optional)

In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. You want it liquid, but not boiling hot. Add in the instant espresso or coffee powder, and stir well. Let the coffee infuse the butter for 5-10 minutes, while you prep the rest of the ingredients.

Preheat your oven to 350°. Grease the bottom and partway up the sides of an 8" x 4" loaf pan.

In a large bowl whisk together flour(s), baking soda and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture and set aside.

In a separate medium bowl combine the beaten egg, granulated sugar, banana, milk, vanilla, and rum (if using). Once the coffee butter has finished infusing, add the butter into the wet ingredients and stir well. Break up any little clumps of coffee than may have not dissolved.

Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. The batter will be lumpy. Spoon into the prepared pan. If desired, either add the mini chocolate chips or sprinkle with the espresso/raw sugar. Honestly, I don’t feel this bread needs it at all, but some folks like things sweeter. You do you.

Bake for 60 - 70 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on the rack.

:coffee: :chocolate_bar: :banana: Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Variation :banana: :chocolate_bar: :coffee:

Swap out 1/4 cup of flour, for 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. Stir 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips into the batter, and sprinkle another 1-2 T of mini chips on top before baking.

11 Likes

This sounds so. good.

1 Like

Amazing! Your edits to the original recipe are so innovative! I bet this tastes way better than the one I made just following the recipe straight! Bravo!

1 Like

This looks and sounds so good!

1 Like

Dang it… no instant coffee in the house. This looks amazing!

1 Like

Wow, I wonder if my husband would eat this. He doesn’t usually go for banana bread, but he LOVES coffee… may have to give it a try.

Also, I love that star-shaped light in the picture!

1 Like

Wow, this sounds heavenly!!! :coffee: :yellow_heart:

Thanks! I can’t claim much credit for it. The woman we bought the house from, had it right there on the counter when we looked at the house. I asked where she got it, saying that I wanted to buy one just like it and put it exactly where she had, because it was so perfect there. When we moved in, we found it on the counter, with a note calling it our house warming present. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Oh mamma! I have to give this a try sometime soon. Coffee is life. Coffee is love. Coffee keeps me sane. :smiley: :rofl:

I wonder if the grounds were not used primarily for their flavor, per say, but like poppyseeds and flax seeds. If I remember this, I may attempt it with some Seattles Best Henry’s Blend, as it’s not as fine as espresso, but finer than regular coffee grounds. Plus, using the instant coffee, too. (Remember, Coffee is life, :wink:)

1 Like

What a sweet housewarming gift!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Coffee Infused Banana Bread is one of this week’s featured projects! Yahoo!

2 Likes

Guys, I remade this bread this week, and testing out something I’d heard about foods from similar latitudes working well together, I added 2 T of rum into the bread. It was a-freakin-mazing. It doesn’t so much taste like rum, as much as it makes the banana and coffee flavors stand out more boldly. Edited the text of the recipe to reflect this option!

3 Likes

I now have a hanker’n for a coffee chocolate banana fruitcake. :no_mouth: I wonder if such a crazy idea is possible…and I wonder if my stomach would allow me to enjoy it if so, :rofl:

1 Like