Complete - Sew Scrappy Swap

I fixed it by remaking it into 2 things, yay! But one of them would be so difficult to package, I’m not sure I’ll be able to send it. Partial success is better than total failure though so tonight’s a win.

5 Likes

One of my little items isn’t sewn either, though it includes fabric scraps. I had to change plans without my sewing machine. Let’s just call it extra creativity!

5 Likes

Yikes…I made a couple of things that aren’t sewn either…oh wait…the scrappy part is sewn but the put together is not…phew…ok…I need to chill so I can finish my actual sew project without mistakes!

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who has spent lots of quality time with her seam ripper :joy:

I think I’m done, just need to get everything packed and to the post office.

3 Likes

Just pointing out that nowhere in the swap requirements does it specifically say things need to be sewn. I know it’s in the title but I personally interpreted that as being for alliterative purposes. Like I’m not gonna cry if I see woven, glued, tied etc items in the gallery.

6 Likes

I am intrigued by the non-sewn projects! 8 can hardly wait!

1 Like

Finished another thing, want to make one more but the fabric I was going to use for structural backing isn’t as sturdy as I thought it was, so I need to pull out something else for that…

2 Likes

OMG I am stuck again! I just can not get this thing right, ugh. The idea seemed like such a good one but I just don’t like how this is turning out. Very frustrated right now.

5 Likes

Oh man. If this is for me I’m sure you’re being more of a perfectionist than I would be. I hope you don’t mind some wonkiness with your scrappiness because the things I’m sending are far from perfect!!

4 Likes

I love your wonkiness! You are one of my favourite artists of all time. I can’t wait to see what you made!

It’s not perfection I’m struggling with, it’s just how things are looking together. And it’s both packages, I’m all over the place. I’m having to embrace less is more, it’s still busy tho. You’ll see.

4 Likes

Success! Yay! I have 3 items completed & though not one is like the idea I started out with, I’m happy with all of them nonetheless. Swaps are so great at evolving projects in ways you might otherwise never take them. Crafting for somebody else can get you out of your own head, know what I mean?

6 Likes

Opposite for me, I get stressed and second (and third, and fourth) guess everything for swaps.

5 Likes

Strangely, I feel both of your posts @Magpie and @photojenn!!

3 Likes

And on a deadline, yes…

3 Likes

I always feel super overwhelmed whenever I start sewing because I don’t feel like I’m very good at it. It’s not as freeing and random as making art, so it always feels super stuffy at the beginning, but I usually enjoy it by the end. As far as swaps, I’ve definitely had more than a few failures. They usually either become a new process (totally opposite what I had intended) or a learning tool so I don’t ever do it again. :slight_smile:

We’re all so much more critical of our own projects and wonkiness and imperfection are what make handmade items so special. We all just need to remember more of that!

4 Likes

I feel the opposite of you! Sewing for me is organic & easy whereas painting, papercraft are not, I stress.

I have 4 things completely done! A couple more ideas to play with. The reorganized basement feels easier to work in, I’m liking it!

4 Likes

I think I’m heading to the PO today. Just gotta package everything up and write a note!

4 Likes

Just kidding. I just had an existential crisis and cut up two of my “finished” projects. :scream:

8 Likes

Sounds like something I’d do last minute too. I’m sure they’ll turn out great. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok I think I’ve reassembled things in a way I’m happier with. Will head to the PO tomorrow (for real this time)!

5 Likes