Craftalongs Challenge - Lettuce Help Our Communities - CLOSED

Title: black plaid and black swirls masks
For: Jamie and hubby.
This is a picture for two batches of two masks each.
Pattern link: below

Title: pirate masks
For: Jamie’s boys
this is batch two for two boys masks that are skulls and pirates.
pattern link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCJcE-r7kcg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1jmWlSlREeh234VoSzEg0ljhnqvJZIWw6hvC1lRAFvgDLjrlN5O9sQkuc

4 Likes

I just gotta say, it’s kind of overwhelmingly awesome how many masks this community is cranking out. Is anyone keeping a total tally? I’m sure it’s HUGE!!

1 Like

Title: Fitted Masks Set #3
Masks for: family (whales for Dad, musical cats for Mom, fireworks for me)
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-pattern

Title: Fitted Masks Set #4
Masks for: friends - going out in tomorrow’s mail
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-pattern

3 Likes

Title: Stash fabric (bottom of the barrel
Made for local health care workers.

Oh so many pretty/wild/fun masks. I’m in the “I’m never going to use that fabric for anything” part of my stash. But I do thank my mother and all the others who have donated their unwanted fabric to me and I was crazy enough to keep it. The health care workers are just grateful. So grateful to all of you who are making them for workers. And yes, I make special ones for family and friends from my “love that fabric” part of my stash.

I’m current have several dozen blanks cut out and 14 in progress to add to the 10 finished for this week’s batch, hope to get more done by Sunday. But I am in “not another video conference” mode right now. How the heck can anyone work when they are in meetings all day long? And we are all at home working. I miss the first week or so of stay at home when so many had not figured out Skype, Teams, Zoom, Hangouts, GoToMeeting, Faceboot live streaming, etc. etc.

4 Likes

Title: another three, with soft ties !
Masks for: my friend
Pattern Link to Share: @magpies awesome improvement on the HK pattern

4 Likes

Title: two more
Masks for: my friend
Pattern Link to Share: @magpies awesome improvement on the HK pattern

4 Likes

Title: Sis and BIL needed more
Made for: My sister and her husband

My sister and her husband had one mask each in a different style made by her SIL. She saw my fitted masks on FB and requested a few. They were not happy with the pleated masks they had received and will give them back for maybe someone else who might like them better.

My sister wanted something with kimonos on it. The geisha fabric was the best I could do. My BIL didn’t care…so I made him peppers and shibori fabric ones.

5 Likes

Masks for: My hubby
Pattern Link to Share: from Sewing Seeds of Love

My hubby has a couple N95 masks from work but decided he wanted a fabric one too as they are more comfortable.

5 Likes

I love this fabric!!

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

Thanks, I bought it for a different project for him but when he was going through my stash, it’s what he chose.

Title: Stash Busting Masks and Scrub Caps
Masks for: Friends / Family / Colleagues
Pattern Link to Share:
Deaconess Masks

Tie Back Scrub Pattern by adesignbyangie (Etsy)

I’ve churned out 15 masks and 20 scrub caps for friends and family. Scrub caps have been donated to the staff in the ER I work in. I may not be “front line” staff, but I do support an amazing team of ER staff members and I wanted to help them in whatever way I could.

Pics of my last mask I made last night!!

f14c5c70-a603-47d1-9c19-c3cceab73dbd

5 Likes

Wow, you did an amazing job, @Imnatari.
Also, a warm welcome to Lettuce Craft!

1 Like

@madebyBeaG, thank you!!! I’ve really been enjoying cranking these out!!!

Title: Geeky trio
Masks for: My brother + nephew
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

Title: New pattern test!
Masks for: Mr. Road/BIL
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.prettyhandygirl.com/best-fit-face-mask/

Notes on pretty handy girl’s pattern - LOVE this one. It take a little longer to make, but I think it’s worth it. I used her suggestion of coffee ties for the nose clip and @MistressJennie’s suggestion of t-shirt yarn for the adjustable ties. Passed the fit test with both Mr. Road and my BIL, and doesn’t fog up glasses (at least with short term wear)!!

Forgot to mention that @AIMR suggested some elements of this pattern a while back - namely the adjustable ear straps. I was impressed with some of the other suggestions/modifications in the video, and decided to give the pattern a try. Thank you for sharing always!

4 Likes

The underwire in bras is actually steel boning, not actually wire despite the name. Similar to what would be put in corsets, only narrower and pre-shaped into curves rather than straight bones. It’s flat, but about 1/8" wide, and the ends have been ground to rounded edges, and are usually ‘tipped’ with something called ‘tipping fluid’, which is a liquid when the pieces are dipped into it, but dries like a thick rubbery kind of paint on the ends. That helps keep the ends from wearing through the channel of fabric sewn into bras, for the wires to sit inside of. Similar to applying bias tape to the hem of a dress, only it’s made of the same thicker fabric bras are made from.

Things you learn while getting a degree in costuming… :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Dang, girl! :wink:

Title: Every Day Masks
Masks for: Friends / Family / Neighbours
Pattern Link to Share: I modified my pattern from the Sweet Red Poppy one (Pleated mask with bias tape)

I had a huge roll of bias tape that I had gotten at a yard sale years ago, so I wanted to use it. I use a layer of flannel between two layers of quilting cotton, so it was too thick to do the pleated one, so I modified it by adding 2 1/2" pieces of 1/8" elastic to the sides. I added a sleeve on the outside made from doubled over bias tape to slide a piece of wire or pipe cleaner (folded in half and twisted together) to help shape it around the nose, but I wanted it to be removable for washing.
These are not the prettiest masks, as I was using whatever fabric/thread I had laying around, but I was able to make about 30 masks for friends, family, and people in my local Buy Nothing FB group who needed them. I plan on starting up again next week because people are asking for child sized ones and I can’t not make them for kids…

1 Like

Thank you for the tips!

Title: Stamp themed and just pretty
Masks for: my dad and his wife

My dad asked if I’d make them a couple of masks each with my choice of fabric. Picking for him was easy as I’ve been collecting stamp themed fabrics already to make him something (he’s a major stamp collector) Deciding for his wife was a little harder but I remembered she wore similar colours to my late mom so I picked what I knew my mom would have liked. Dad wanted the more fitted masks but they live in a different city so they couldn’t try them on before finishing so I made one of that style and on surgical style.