Craftalongs Challenge - Lettuce Help Our Communities - CLOSED

Title: Stamp themed and just pretty
Masks for: my dad and his wife

My dad asked if I’d make them a couple of masks each with my choice of fabric. Picking for him was easy as I’ve been collecting stamp themed fabrics already to make him something (he’s a major stamp collector) Deciding for his wife was a little harder but I remembered she wore similar colours to my late mom so I picked what I knew my mom would have liked. Dad wanted the more fitted masks but they live in a different city so they couldn’t try them on before finishing so I made one of that style and on surgical style.

Sorry been busy making 25 more masks! Yes it is cut on the bias. The website I got the pattern from gives fabulous instructions on how to do so. I had no idea what it was before this project!

Thanks! Not new but have been put away for a while and I wanted a change!

You guys are mask making machines! These are all so great and kudos to all of you who are cutting the pieces and sewing with a machine! Mine are cheaters done with the embroidery machine!

1 Like

Title: Fitted Masks Set #5
Masks for: friends
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-pattern

We also have about 20 masks in progress, at various stages of completion, but we’re waiting on a shipment of elastic before we can totally finish any of them.

1 Like

I have a notebook from diaso with that blue and white flowery print! :slight_smile: - nice masks!

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s where I bought the cloth! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’ve made 80ish masks that I didn’t post here because I was paid for making them. I met a lady recently who owns an Etsy shop and has so much business from masks that she’s hired 9 people to help her. Mass producing, assembly line isn’t my favourite way to work but it’s a bit of extra income when my hubby is laid off.

4 Likes

That’s an awesome way to help supplement your income as well as helping other people who can’t find masks in the stores! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, Mom and I just finished up a BUNCH of WIP masks today. I’ll post a big group shot of them and then individual entries:

Sorry if these are getting a little tedious with so many of the same fabrics!

Title: Fitted Masks Set #6
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-pattern

Title: Fitted Masks Set #7
Pattern Link to Share: same as above

Two of these are for a friend’s husband, who requested solid blue or green masks to wear to work.

Title: Fitted Masks Set #8

Starting with the front mask in this photo, the masks are switching from men’s to women’s size.

Title: Fitted Masks Set #9

Title: Fitted Masks Set #10

Oh, also, these are all still waiting on just the elastic, which was supposed to be delivered by today, but things are understandably delayed right now. As soon as they’ve got the elastic, we’ll be shipping them to friends all over the country! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel pretty safe where I live, and even in my country, but I have one friend who is far more afraid as she lives in UK. She worried about when she had to go back so much that she was willing to hand stitch her own masks as she had no sewing machine, so I offered to do it for her as I also have a lot of fabric that I want to start using.

She got to pick all the fabric and I found some patterns that would work which would allow her to add filter inside for extra protection. It’s the tying kind so no pain in the ears, and I tested it before I sent them and they are so “tight” around the nose that my glasses didn’t fog, which is a plus as she also wears glasses and that’s the worst part about masks.

3 Likes

Title: Nursing home masks - current batch of 40
For: Local nursing home

I am using up lots of old, bottom of the bin, fabric. Last week’s batch of 29 went to a local hospital/health care group. I had made a batch of darker colors and when we switched to a nursing home where one of my friends is currently living, I wanted brighter colors to mix in. So I raided my “I might use it someday” bin.

There are approx 40 masks here. There may be more by Sunday when the masks are picked up. It’s become a bit of an obsession with me…I think it’s my way of coping with shut-in stress. I am working full time or I would be a very crazy sewing lady.
I need to make blackout curtains for our bedroom, the pinned up fabric “temporary” fix is driving me crazy.

5 Likes

This round of the Lettuce Help Our Communities has ended! Since there is still a great demand for masks, I have opened a Round 2 that will run through the end of May.

Stay tuned later today, for the prize drawing!

@imera & @marionberries, your latest posts were both made after the deadline of April 30th, so I haven’t counted them for this round, but you are more than welcome to move/repost them into Round 2, and they will be counted there. Please be sure to use the Header when posting. Thanks!

3 Likes

Announcing our winners! Both were chosen by random number generator, out of all the entries posted.

First off entry #20 - Mickey Face Masks, by @Bunny1kenobi!
You have won a $25 e-gift card to Joann.com.

And second, entry #62, Fitted Masks Set #3, by @roler!
You have won a $25 e-gift card to Hawthorne Supply Co.

Please send me your email addresses, so I can forward your e-gift cards to you.

A very special thank youto @PerfectlyBohemian, who donated the second prize for this Challenge. :unicorn:

And thank you to everyone who participated in the Challenge. We had 79 entries, which came to somewhere over 259 masks! That’s a lot of people protected, and a lot of love show.
:heart: :orange_heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart:

And just so everyone knows the drawing was fair, here are screen shots of both numbers coming up in Google’s random number generator.
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 2.41.41 PM
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 2.41.21 PM

7 Likes

Congratulations to our winners!

Oh wow, thank you so much!! This thread and all the generous people crafting here certainly motivated me to make a lot more than just the 12 I’d originally planned to make! I’ll email later today when I’m at my computer!

WTG winners!!! Awesome job, everyone.

Wow!! Thank you so much!! :heart::heart:

Awesome!!! Round 2 here I come! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, @MistressJennie for doing this…making masks in quantities is not exactly fun sewing for many of us. For some, making masks for family has been a challenge all by itself. I think you have motivated us all to do what we can, if we can, for whomever we can. I know people I have made masks for have thanked me, even though I wanted very much to do it.

But, kudos to those of you who will never know the appreciation of your community…this little group was so great and I bet collectively, we made quite a few.

Thanks, Jennie…for bringing us together this month…and going into the next…

2 Likes

Congrats you awesome crafty ladies! And way to go everyone!!

That’s a lot of masks! Way to go, crafters!