Craftalongs Challenge - Lettuce Help Our Communities - CLOSED

@Magpie, is your HK Mask from hemp pockets an actual submission for the Challenge? Or just a random or progress pic of what you’re working on? Since it doesn’t have the header, I’m unsure if I should add it to the list of finished entries. :slightly_smiling_face:

Title: Fake Batik back up
Masks for: Me, in case I lose my fancy mask
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0W0mxja8E - measurements in the video for making your own.

I added jewelry wire on the nose bridge instead of twist ties because the ones I have are not strong enough to get the mask “sealed” on my face to prevent glasses from fogging up.

Made from home decore fabric sample from my stash.

On my face:

On my sewing machine (please ignore the mess):

Interior:

*edit to add that I ended up sending this one to a friend in Texas and made several more!

6 Likes

I started making masks around the second week of March due to what i saw as a need for my family. Since then I have helped form a local mask making group that is now a part of a state-wide organization run by some very talented and motivated folks in Alabama! Here is my first mask! I have made close to 25 so far. I am working online as a college instructor as well, so my time to sew and craft is limited. But here I am!

8 Likes

Welcome to Lettuce Craft @Dstoeckel! We’re so glad to have you here. And thank you for helping craft for your community!

1 Like

@Dstoeckel, is your yellow flower mask an actual submission in the Challenge? Or just a random sharing pic? If so, can you add the following header into your post?
Title:
Masks for:
Pattern Link to Share:

This helps me keep track of all the entries people make, so I can make sure you get the right amount of entries in the prize drawing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Title: Masks for the Guys
Masks for: my employees in PA
Pattern Link to Share:

My partner in PA and our employees are mostly working from home, but, they are taking turns going into the office to retrieve files, paperwork, etc. After a bad scare (one of my employees was tested but was negative!), they all wanted masks. Of course, they know I sew and used to make all sorts of things for everyone so they asked if I would make masks for their personal use. This is what I am sending to the guys…I am going to send another batch with a different pattern once I hear back as I think you need one to wear, and one in the wash.

5 Likes

Title: Masks for the Women
Masks Made for: employees in my office

These are the ones I made for my female employees…I will let them pick whatever ones they want, but I am sure my friend and office manager is going to snag one of the purple ones! I used to make her so many purple things over the 20 years I worked with her!

5 Likes

Title: Trio of Masks
Masks for: Myself
Pattern Link to Share:
I can’t remember where the top pattern is from.
The middle one is from Sewing Seeds of Love
The bottom one is from Riley Blake Designs and doesn’t use elastic. The pattern actually has ties but I modified it to hook on my ears instead.

5 Likes

This is amazing!!

Title: First Three Masks
Masks for: healthcare workers
Pattern Link to Share: https://seekatesew.com/how-to-sew-a-face-mask-with-filter-pocket-no-elastic/

My parents and I made these together. It took us many hours. We are rank amateurs, but doing our best to help! We hope to improve as we go along!!

4 Likes

Everyone is making such pretty masks! I’m making more this weekend for my coworker and her mom. Can’t wait to see what everyone does!

Title: Goth face mask
Masks for: meeee
Pattern Link to Share: https://youtu.be/BCJcE-r7kcg

Yeah I actually gave a TON of supplies to my sister-in-law who is making some for the hospital. I soon realized after making just ONE that I had little patience for making these. Although, I probably wouldn’t be as frustrated had I just used my sewing machine… But it’s messed up now and I didn’t want to deal with figuring that out! I guess I’ll make one more for my partner but that is it. Lol. I did my part by giving my SIL half my stash of fabric and all my bias tape. :sweat_smile: I made one adjustment to the pattern by just making one long strip of elastic go all the way through the sides so it goes around my head instead of my ears because my ears are sensitive. I reccomend this method. It’s much more comfortable.

Gotta make my face mask match my clothes, amiright?

5 Likes

Your elastic idea is great. I don’t have that much in my stash though and can’t find any to order online at this time (all our fabric/quilting stores are closed by government order) If we have to wear these for awhile, I’ll be trying to find elastic and use your method.

1 Like

I also threaded elastic all the way through and made a knot…I told each person to adjust the knot to how they like it…I made sure to use extra elastic to make sure even the largest head could be fitted.

My sister had the elastic go around her ears…instead of redoing them, we just took another piece and tied it from one ear to the other…it pulled the elastic back far enough to make it comfortable around her head…I liked that idea a lot as well.

That technique works with a piece of cord as well, only needs to be tied in one place. Or just sew a long piece of bias tape for ties rather than making the bias bit a channel for another cord. Easier.

1 Like

I didn’t want anything tied around my head, that’s why I liked this idea.

Title: Teen sized face masks
Masks for: my kiddo
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.twistedneedletextiles.com/products/tnt-face-mask-pdf-pattern

I’m making masks for my family. There are a lot of us and I’m making multiples for everyone coz some of us still need to spend time in public. These are for my 13 yo. I’m wanting him to get outside from time to time (at the park or something, away from ppl, of course) and the masks make me feel better about it. He should always have at least one clean one, since I made him 3. His fave is the planet one, the fabric for which I think I actually got from someone on C-ster back in the day.

5 Likes

Title: More face masks
Masks for: my oldest son
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.twistedneedletextiles.com/products/tnt-face-mask-pdf-pattern

These are for my oldest. He is still working, at Home Depot. I ran out of regular elastic, and started using hair ties. They work pretty well! Again, I think some of these fabrics came from some of you fine people!

3 Likes

Title: Fun face masks
Masks for: my older DIL

She also is working at Home Depot. She requested these fabrics out of my stash. Once again, I used hair ties.

3 Likes