Craftalongs Challenge - Lettuce Help Our Communities - CLOSED

Thanks Linda.

2 Likes

I just wanted to say you are all doing great with the directive of posting groups of masks. I really appreciate it. Way to be awesome humans! :heart:

5 Likes

Title: Mickey face masks
Masks for: my daughter
Pattern Link to Share: [https://www.twistedneedletextiles.com/products/tnt-face-mask-pdf-pattern ]

These are for my daughter. Her boyfriend has an employee who has tested positive. Hopefully I can get these to her soon!!

5 Likes

Title: Black face masks
Masks for: my daughter’s BF
Pattern Link to Share: [https://www.twistedneedletextiles.com/products/tnt-face-mask-pdf-pattern ]

My daughter said there’s no way he’ll wear anything but the black ones. So…

3 Likes

Title: Stenciled face masks
Masks for: my hubby

I modified the pattern as he wanted a more “Mad Max” look. And he has a long face. So this goes higher up to the bridge of his nose, and is more fitted to his jaw line. Then I stenciled them per his requests.

I think I like the Punisher one best.

6 Likes

Title: Purple & D&D Dice Fitted Masks
Masks for: Me
Pattern Link to Share: Smooth Fitted Masks
First one was my prototype, whipped up in an hour for an unexpected Vet visit. I found tying the upper ties above my ponytail helped keep it from hurting my ears, but the bias tape wasn’t all that comfortable. I tried again with some elastic for the stars mask, but found it ultimately also uncomfortable when I had to grocery shop last week. I’ve since switched to using tee shirt yarn for the ties, as it’s much softer, and has a gentle stretch to it.

Title: Star Trek Fitted Masks
Masks for: Neighbor S.
My neighbor S. has to keep working, as he’s in construction and owns his own small business. Their jobs were already scheduled, so they’re doing whatever they can. I used some of my precious store of elastic for him, since he doesn’t have long hair, and can’t use a ponytail to take the strain off his ears. I did two, so he can have one in the wash, while wearing the other to work.

Title: Pink & States Fitted Masks
Masks for: Neighbors J. & son M.
S.'s wife & son are mostly at home all the time, but I whipped up one for each of them in case something comes up and they have to go somewhere, like an unplanned doctor’s visit.

Title: Solid Black & Purple Stars Fitted Masks
Masks for: Brother & SIL
My brother requested solid black to match his company’s colors/gear. He’s also in construction, and has been working his limited crew odd hours to try to avoid other people on job sites as much as possible. Again, I made him two, so one can always be in the wash. My SIL is staying home with the kids, as she’s currently out of work, since the university she works for has suspended classes, but I wanted her to have one in case she has to run to the grocery store.

Title: Pink Strawberries & Turquoise Medallion Masks
Masks for: Nieces
I doubt my young nieces are going anywhere, but on the off chance something happens and they need to go out, I whipped up kid sized ones for them.

Title: Pink, Turquoise & Skully Fitted Masks
Masks for: Mom & Dad
My mom doesn’t seem to be taking this as seriously as I would like her to, and is still sometimes going out. So two masks for her, and one skulls & crossed bones for dad. His is lined in acid green, mostly just to amuse his macabre sense of humor.

8 Likes

Wow, you’ve been busy.

I’ve got 8 more fitted masks cut, that I’m working on stitching today. Every time I think I’m done with the fitted ones for family and friends, and can move on to hospital masks, someone else asks for one!

1 Like

Title: Embroidery Machine Masks
Masks for: Friends and their families
Pattern Link to Share: [https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheMachineEmbroidery

image image

7 Likes

Title: Just for Bonnie
Mask for: my friend and former IRL crafting buddy, who still has to work with the public

My friend Bonnie saw my post on FB and offered to pay me to make her some masks…pshaw…I have loads of fabric and loads of time. She requested cute Japanese prints if I had them…Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie…of course, I do… :smiley:

9 Likes

Jennie - I’m so intrigued by your t-shirt yarn ties. What length do you use? It’s a bit stretchy so do you need less? Also looks like you’re stitching it right to the mask rather than running it through a channel? I’m wondering how it would work with the pattern I’m using that has a section on each side you run the elastic through…:thinking:

1 Like

After struggling to get the elastic over my hair and adjusting the dang thing, I am also interested more in ties than in the elastic! If it is too difficult to put on, I know I will get frustrated.

I want to know about t-shirt yarn ties as well…I would rather have a bow in the back or go to ear elastic with a strap rather than the two big elastic bands…

3 Likes

hey guys, this tutorial is for anyone who wants to make ties or bias tape for masks fast with just a tiny piece of paper! It is faster to make the bias and unpick a few inches to sew over some of the face masks that need it…

[Best way to make bias ties for mask…no tools needed]

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR7sWFwo48g)

Also, I found this great tutorial on making adjustable ear straps if you don’t have elastic…you can use t-shirts, paracord, etc.

Just the ear holder part…using a bead to be adjustable

That second link is great! She also offers alternatives for nose clips. Coffee bag ties! I’m definitely going to try her pattern and techniques!

1 Like

I tried floral wire wrapped in tape but my BIL complained that the wire hurt his nose…the fitted masks really don’t need them…they sit pretty close to the face without them.

I am making plain masks and then giving the people their own options…they can always tack on a nose clip by using a small hole punch on the coffee bag ties and sewing it on either outside or in…

They can also cut the two elastics and make ear elastic or add a band across the back…I will make the hard part, but they will have to take some responsibility in their own comfort.

1 Like

I’ve been using jewelry wire for my nose wires. I’m not sure of the gauge, because I bought a large enough amount of it to wrap the top of several large suncatchers I made a few years ago, that it didn’t come on a spool. It’s definitely thicker than floral wire, and much smoother. I know I got it from Fire Mountain Gems. I’ll see if I can find my wire gauge reference card and determine the gauge.

https://www.firemountaingems.com/shop/zebra_wire

1 Like

I tried a wire insert on my first mask…it poked Mr. Road through the fabric and he took it out. I didn’t wrap it in anything so I’m sure that’s why but I haven’t put one in since. I do think the extra shaping it provides just helps it feel like it’s a better fit. But with this lady’s suggestions, I’m going to give it a try again!

1 Like

Well, don’t use floral tape…it is not colorfast. I washed one of the masks and it stained the white lining brown. Still functioning (I bent up the wire and then covered it), but both he and my BIL don’t like the wire so I am giving them straps to make the elastic hold tighter against their faces.

1 Like

Title: Flowers and Skeletons
Masks for: Malissa & her brother
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0W0mxja8E - measurements in the video for making your own.

I ended up sending my first mask to my best friend from high school after she posted on Facebook that she and her kiddos didn’t have masks. And yes, her messed up name spelling was inspired by mine :crazy_face: it’s an A not and E…

4 Likes

Title: Flowers and skeletons and Polar Bears
Masks for: My niece and nephews
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0W0mxja8E - measurements in the video for making your own.

Flowers in pink and orange for my beautiful, red headed niece.

The polar bear mask is for the littlest of my kin - he’s tiny compared to the rest of the family so that mask is about 2cm smaller length and width wise compared to the rest of my masks.

5 Likes