Craftalongs Challenge - Lettuce Help Our Communities - CLOSED

Well, don’t use floral tape…it is not colorfast. I washed one of the masks and it stained the white lining brown. Still functioning (I bent up the wire and then covered it), but both he and my BIL don’t like the wire so I am giving them straps to make the elastic hold tighter against their faces.

1 Like

Title: Flowers and Skeletons
Masks for: Malissa & her brother
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0W0mxja8E - measurements in the video for making your own.

I ended up sending my first mask to my best friend from high school after she posted on Facebook that she and her kiddos didn’t have masks. And yes, her messed up name spelling was inspired by mine :crazy_face: it’s an A not and E…

4 Likes

Title: Flowers and skeletons and Polar Bears
Masks for: My niece and nephews
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0W0mxja8E - measurements in the video for making your own.

Flowers in pink and orange for my beautiful, red headed niece.

The polar bear mask is for the littlest of my kin - he’s tiny compared to the rest of the family so that mask is about 2cm smaller length and width wise compared to the rest of my masks.

5 Likes

I’ve washed my masks, and the zebra wire does seem to be color fast, as far as I can tell. The color has not bled through the fabric in any event. I checked the gauge and it seems to be 20 gauge Zebra Wire. I cut it into 7" pieces, then fold back the ends about 3/8".

1 Like

Title: She wanted Halloween
Made for: @Krafty_Karasu

Sara and I have been friends since the old site. We have mostly kept in contact on FB off and on. She asked if I could make some for her and her parents. I asked her what colors, etc. since I could have it in my stash…she wondered if I could do anything close to Halloween :laughing: :laughing:…ha ha only my favorite holiday ever!!!

It was hard to pick two fabrics, but I picked a traditional orange and black and then a skully Edgar Allan Poe themed fabric…these were fun to make…

6 Likes

I finally made some masks.

I used the fitted face mask (smooth) tutorial shared shared in the first post and accredited the pattern to in my mask post as well.

I made 8 total.

Title: Dotted Black and Teal Deer
Masks for:: DH and Me
Pattern Link: Fitted Face Mask—see top of post

Title: Dotted Black and Musical Notes
Masks for:: Son and Daughter

Title: Soccer Set 1-Adult Size
Masks for:: DH and me

Title: Soccer Set 2- Teen Size
Masks for:: Son and Daughter

4 Likes

Title: No Sew Mask
Masks for:: Me
Pattern Link: No Sew Mask

6 Likes

Most no-sew masks I’ve seen are super bulky and weird but that pattern looks terrific @lindyv321. Did you opt for woven fabric cut on the bias?

I tweaked fitted mask pattern to simplify it a whole lot. I have been unhappy with the bulky seams etc on a lot of examples. This one could use a bit of fine tuning at the edges but I hope beta testers will give it a go and share their feedback.

1 Like

Title: Fitted face masks
Masks for: Me!
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.twistedneedletextiles.com/a/downloads/-/f54ab4922d6eff0c/ff04e9a768b3f6a1

I made these for myself. I did add a pleat on the sides because I liked the fit better that way.

7 Likes

Hey @Abbeeroad, sorry for the delay. I missed this message before. I’ve made myself 3 masks so far, one elastic, one bias tape, and 1 tee shirt yarn, and the tee shirt yarn is by far the most comfortable. For mine I’ve been using the same amount on each corner as was called for in the pattern for bias tape; 14". I cut my lengths, then tie a knot at the end that will be outside the mask, then sew the other end into the masks. It does have a gentle stretch, but not as much as you might think. When you cut it, you stretch the cut fabric, so the edges curl up, making it rounder. That takes out some of the natural stretch.

My tee shirt yarn itself is just recycled tees from my wardrobe, and I have ball after ball of it, so I didn’t worry about testing with some of it. There’s a ton of tutorials for making it on Youtube. I just followed one of those. If you wanted to keep using your same pattern, I’d just cut longer pieces than you normally would and test drive it. Or, run some string through, make sure you know how much you need, then cut a few inches longer. Run it through, tie it around your head, then trim if need be.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, friend! I’m going to try it!

@lindyv321 - love the (new?) glasses!

2 Likes

Title: map and floral #1
Masks for: my elderly immune-compromised couple-friends.
Pattern Link to Share:

I’m gonna drop these off for them tomorrow! I miss my little buddy, Ollie. (I walk their dog for them.) Sometimes Margot sends pics of Ollie to me the past month here and she sent a pic showing she’s wearing a no-sew CDC-style bandana mask when she went on a walk with him. She is pretty immune-compromised and she needs to be very careful so I thought it would be much easier and better if she and Bob had some actual masks. I love those two (and Ollie) so much and I miss them so bad! I see them more than my own parents! Lol. Now I’m crying.

I decided the map was more masculine? And the floral looks like Margot’s style… they’re not perfect but they are fine for use. My machine kept having issues… lol then I realized I just needed a new needle so I went over the lines again since I hot REALLY sick of making these again. This might be the end of me making this stuff… lol

5 Likes

Title: Map and floral#2
Masks for: my husband and elderly single neighbor
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.ambertheblog.com/easy-diy-facemask-with-filter-pocket/

These masks look the same as the last ones but if you look at the pattern of the fabric and the elastic you can see they’re different. Same pattern, though. Kenny originally chose the map so I figured the other one should be a map too. I saw when looking through articles that flannel is EXTRA good for filtering so I put flannel on the inside. These all have filter pockets too. I ran outa flat elastic by the end so I used round elastic.

Oh here’s proof that there’s 4

6 Likes

Title: Knitter Mask
Masks for: my friend
Pattern Link to Share: from Sweet Red Poppy

My friend works at a drug rehab centre and, where we live, they have to follow the same guidelines as nursing homes so she has to wear a mask every shift. They provided paper ones but they were massive for her so I offered to make some and this is the first. She’s a small lady and it took some research and playing to find a good fit. She’s a knitter and I had some leftover fabric from a bag I sewed her last year. She loves it and said it’s comfortable.

7 Likes

Title: Blue Batik & Teal Honeycomb Masks
Masks for: BIL J. & SIL J.
BIL J. asked if I could make the entire mask look like a baseball with red stitching or if I had baseball fabric. Nope. Sorry. It’s a pandemic friend, you need to put up with what scrap fabric Jennie has on hand! SIL was much easier to appease. :wink:
Project Picture:

Title: Black & Red Celtic Knot Masks
Masks for: BIL C.
Pair of black & red celtic knot masks for my BIL C. to wear to work. He ALSO asked for baseball fabric, and again I had to say no.
Project Picture:

Title: Hannah Montana Masks
Masks for: BIL C’s Co-Worker
Pair of Black & Purple Hannah Montana masks for BIL’s co-worker to wear to work. C. was asking for solid & masculine fabrics to wear to work. I said I was running out of masculine fabrics, and he’d have to be happy with whatever I made, but promised to not use the leftover Hannah Montana fabric I had, from when I made his daughter a pencil roll about 8 years ago now. His daughter (now 17) thought that was hilarious, and told me she still has the pencil roll. So I used it on masks for a co-worker of his.
Project Picture:

Title: Green Medallions & Magenta Honeycombs
Masks for: Clinic Worker & Friend
Made a pair of green masks for a woman in town who works at a clinic, but isn’t a doctor or nurse, and therefore isn’t being given masks right now. The magenta honeycomb is for a dear friend. She’s staying with her grandfather, and can’t get to her sewing machine or fabric right now.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Title: Candy Masks
Masks for: my friend
Pattern Link to Share: from Sweet Red Poppy

7 Likes

Those are fun. I like the bottom one especially.

2 Likes

Whew, I am still such a beginner sewer that this was pretty intimidating for me, but Mom and I worked together to try this awesome mask pattern, and I’m so happy with how it turned out! Woo! We’ll be making lots more of these for friends and family.

Title: Masks for my brother
Masks for: my brother :slight_smile: We’re mailing these to him tomorrow!
Pattern Link to Share:

6 Likes

Love that Mario fabric!!!

1 Like

Title: First masks
Masks for: Me and my honey…that’s me modeling them all. The second mask (navy pattern) was custom modified to my sweeties demands, ummm, requests.
Pattern Link to Share: The pattern has been shared before on this thread, I just don’t remember which one. Sorry.

6 Likes