Craftalongs Challenge - Lettuce Help Our Communities - CLOSED

Title: Blue Batik & Teal Honeycomb Masks
Masks for: BIL J. & SIL J.
BIL J. asked if I could make the entire mask look like a baseball with red stitching or if I had baseball fabric. Nope. Sorry. It’s a pandemic friend, you need to put up with what scrap fabric Jennie has on hand! SIL was much easier to appease. :wink:
Project Picture:

Title: Black & Red Celtic Knot Masks
Masks for: BIL C.
Pair of black & red celtic knot masks for my BIL C. to wear to work. He ALSO asked for baseball fabric, and again I had to say no.
Project Picture:

Title: Hannah Montana Masks
Masks for: BIL C’s Co-Worker
Pair of Black & Purple Hannah Montana masks for BIL’s co-worker to wear to work. C. was asking for solid & masculine fabrics to wear to work. I said I was running out of masculine fabrics, and he’d have to be happy with whatever I made, but promised to not use the leftover Hannah Montana fabric I had, from when I made his daughter a pencil roll about 8 years ago now. His daughter (now 17) thought that was hilarious, and told me she still has the pencil roll. So I used it on masks for a co-worker of his.
Project Picture:

Title: Green Medallions & Magenta Honeycombs
Masks for: Clinic Worker & Friend
Made a pair of green masks for a woman in town who works at a clinic, but isn’t a doctor or nurse, and therefore isn’t being given masks right now. The magenta honeycomb is for a dear friend. She’s staying with her grandfather, and can’t get to her sewing machine or fabric right now.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Title: Candy Masks
Masks for: my friend
Pattern Link to Share: from Sweet Red Poppy

7 Likes

Those are fun. I like the bottom one especially.

2 Likes

Whew, I am still such a beginner sewer that this was pretty intimidating for me, but Mom and I worked together to try this awesome mask pattern, and I’m so happy with how it turned out! Woo! We’ll be making lots more of these for friends and family.

Title: Masks for my brother
Masks for: my brother :slight_smile: We’re mailing these to him tomorrow!
Pattern Link to Share:

6 Likes

Love that Mario fabric!!!

1 Like

Title: First masks
Masks for: Me and my honey…that’s me modeling them all. The second mask (navy pattern) was custom modified to my sweeties demands, ummm, requests.
Pattern Link to Share: The pattern has been shared before on this thread, I just don’t remember which one. Sorry.

6 Likes

Title: Donations
Masks for: Local Detention center - 20 masks
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHrnS6n4iA&feature=youtu.be

A friend who is a visiting nurse requested these for a detention center she visits. The clinical staff was getting one disposable mask a day and the rest of the staff were getting 1 per week. Yikes! so I made up a bunch with elastic and with ties. They were so grateful. I had some with super heroes and those were popular. :slightly_smiling_face:
I

6 Likes

Title: More Donations
Masks for: Local Healthcare system - 80 masks and counting
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHrnS6n4iA&feature=youtu.be

Just a sample. I’ve used ties, bias tape, homemade bias tape, elastic, and ribbon. But I just got an order of elastic and twill tape, so I can continue. We have someone pick up any donated masks every Sunday at our church from a bin outside. She says she is swarmed everytime word gets around that there are more masks. Again, it’s the non-clinical staff, IT repair folks, janitors, receptionists, etc. etc. that just are not getting enough masks. And it saves masks for the clinical staff. And they are washable. I always use non woven interfacing with two layers of cotton. My stash is shrinking…amazingly it doesn’t look that much smaller.

6 Likes

Title: Mask Folding Template
Masks for: Friends and family - a dozen or more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHrnS6n4iA&feature=youtu.be
I’ve also made masks for friends and family that ask for them, and donated fabric and elastic to others. Others have donated elastic to me when I ran out and my order was stalled.
And I don’t make a filter pocket. It often goes unnoticed and most people quit bothering to put a filter in. I can make them if someone requests a filter pocket, it’s just a minor modification.

Some modifications I’ve made:

• I use floral wire, 6" with 1/2 inch bends at the end, final length is about 5" I make a bunch and keep in a little box.
  • I also only do two folds. They are a bit bigger and much easier to do on the nice tightly woven fabric. Same result, pulled out, the mask is still the same size.
  • Depending on supplies, I either sew the elastic in as in the video, leave the sides unfinished and then use a 32-36" piece of bias tape as ties and closure to seal off the folded mask sides.
  • Add a channel for ribbon or bias tape or whatever to thread through for ties
  • When using threaded ties, this little tool has been my friend, a locker hook. The eyelet is large enough and the whole thing is long enough to make threading ties very fast and easy. Mine is about 6 " long.
  • Best idea ever! Created a folding template. Hold over the front, add the smaller one in the back and fold. I clip one end of the mask with fabric clips and stitch the other end, doing a continuous chain stitched batch. Then turn around and do the clipped end. This has sped things up amazingly.

• Link to template tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRtiyPhWDQM
4 Likes

THANK YOU for posting that video link! I knew there had to be a way to make the pleats quicker and I even looked online today but couldn’t find anything,

I’ve been hired to help a small business make masks for sale and I’m already tired of measuring and folding and I’ve only done 29. Tomorrow I’ll get my hubby to help me create one for my two pleats.

2 Likes

@Abbeeroad - I’m not trying to be silly or anything, and I don’t know how to machine sew but I have an idea…how is the wire in underwire bras put in so it doesn’t poke thru? Maybe that would help?

lol…I have no idea how they do that. I’m sure if I had covered the wire or at least bent the ends up, it wouldn’t have poked through. Rookie mistake.

BUT! I am trying out the coffee ties some time this week (maybe tonight!). I really think they will work well!

1 Like

I’ve been using garbage twist ties, they work great, even better if you tear off two at once and fold them over together.

Look at the top wire in this photo, I would do that for pipe cleaner as well, even twist the fold over up a bit to more securely fasten it.

I saw a tutorial using a strip of aluminum from one of those disposable baking trays. That stuff is super easy to cut and fold the edges over and it makes a nice flat piece for shaping round the nose. It would work best for a mask with a flatter top edge like the HK pattern.

2 Likes

Title: 4 More masks for healthcare workers
Masks for: We’ll be mailing these and the three we made before to a local hospital tomorrow.
Pattern Link to Share:

As a super beginner, I found this pattern really challenging, and unfortunately don’t think I have the energy to keep making more of these. But I’m going to keep making lots of the fitted ones for friends and family!

3 Likes

Title: Fitted Masks Set #2
Masks for: family friends
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-pattern

I love this pattern. My mother and I have been working on these assembly-line style, and have quite a few more started (there will be at least four whale ones in total ;P). Even as total beginners, we are definitely getting the hang of it and it’s getting easier and quicker!

4 Likes

Title: plain mask
Masks for: one for me
Pattern Link to Share: @magpies awesome improvement on the HK pattern

6 Likes

Great work! Tell me, do you find it comfortable to wear? I am tweaking this pattern so I falls lower beneath the eyes. I had a complaint from some children - SIGH.

I put pipe cleaners in so it moulds around the nose so I find it perfectly comfortable. If I’m going to wear one, I want good coverage.

1 Like

Title: three masks for a friend. Blue to match her uniform
Masks for: a police officer

4 Likes

Title: another three plain ones

Masks for: my friend

5 Likes