Crochet-along

I forgot I had this! A friend found it at a thrift shop & bought it for me.

7 skeins and at least 2 more balled up, the labels say 2oz.

Is this enough to make a decent sized throw? Got recommendations for a stitch that uses less yarn and is still warm and also pretty?

I’d really like to know how wool is made “mothproof”, wow.

1 Like

With chemicals…toxic ones…

2 Likes

I think you might have enough for a small throw but you might want to make a test swatch and try to extrapolate the amounts needed.

For reference the blanket I’m currently making is relatively dense and will use about 1115g of DK weight yarn and will finish about 4’x5’ (not finished so I don’t have exact measurements). It looks like you have about 400-500g of yarn there so you’d want to choose a stitch that was fairly open to make a larger blanket.

1 Like

Oh dear. I think I’ll just throw that out then. I do not want to be handing, then later snuggling under, neurotoxins, yikes!

How old is it? Seems that if it is old, the toxicity wears off but you would still have to keep it safe from moths the usual ways (washing, storing properly, etc.)

Mitin FF has been used as a pesticide in the United States since 1948 and is used exclusively for mothproofing wool. It is considered to be “low to moderately toxic” and to have “low mammalian toxicity.”

I would venture to assume that your blankets are mothproofed with Mitin FF. Given that it was not very toxic to begin with, I would say there is little, if any, danger now.

2 Likes

If you don’t have enough yarn to do an entire afghan with it, you can either buy a little yarn in the same fiber and weight, and do stripes, or you could pair it with other yarns (any weight and fiber), for something like this:

1 Like

That’s a great idea! I really love cream colored yarn mixed in with colors!

You could also double or more it up and make a bunch of nice cream baskets!

1 Like

I’m thinking baskets too. I can wash & felt those. I won’t drink from the tap! A poison blanket seems like way too much for me, lol.

3 Likes

You could add a strand of color or colors…I think felted baskets would be great for that yarn!

1 Like

I’m currently working on Jane Crowfoot 's Indian Roses blanket. But also joining in the spirit of flora cal.

15 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

These are stunning

1 Like

The black yarn I used for my friend’s cardigan (ahem cropped jacket) was moth proofed (prob 60/70s). It didn’t smell at all whilst working with it but after the first wash the mothball smell was overpowering so I washed again (and ooops felted it). My friend washed it again and she says it doesn’t smell at all anymore. Hopefully it’s gone?

1 Like

It’s not smelly, it’s treated with some scary chemical rather than camphor.

Great colours!

1 Like

I’m watching season 2 of Next in Fashion, one of the contestants is wearing this jacket …

8 Likes

Oh, I am… I don’t know. Not a fan of this thing.

1 Like

It’s certainly… unique. And colorful. Lol

3 Likes

But that dude is certainly crochet proud!!!
:laughing:

4 Likes

Most high fashion is meant to be outrageous and over the top to evoke a response and to simply give ideas. While I also would not wear that particular jacket, there are some interesting details or single pieces that could work for everyday people. I love the starfish motif. Fringe on pockets or a hem might be workable as well.

I have been looking at a lot of “no pattern” type of clothing as well. There is some sort of satisfaction to getting back to the basics of just cutting and shaping to make a garment.

3 Likes