Debris, Fiber and Charred Wood Brooch

The charred wood is from the fire that destroyed my studio in 2017. This piece of wood was from a dimensional rolling pin I had purchased to possibly use with wet felting. I don’t recall ever having put it to use. I have several more pieces of wood similar to this. Pieces of the debris that I picked out in hopes of one day making something beautiful from them.

DSC_0497 SM

DSC_0498 SM

15 Likes

Stunningly unique. And bittersweet that you used a piece of your old studio. Beauty from destruction…:heart:

3 Likes

That is such a neat story, and a unique and cool brooch! I love that you are turning a tragic event into something positive.

2 Likes

Thank you!! This also makes for a good pin cushion when the work is divided between my work table and the sewing machine! I hadn’t planned on that, just an added bonus! :slight_smile:

Originally I wanted to make faux ivory with polymer clay for this brooch. I may still do that with the other pieces. I’m still waiting on modifications to my craft closet that would make it easier (not counting Tybalt) to do some polymer clay. Faux ivory with a soft sheen would be a nice contrast to the charred wood.

I have boxes filled with things I picked out of the debris. I need to make a point of using more of it.

3 Likes

What a lovely way to mark and recover from a tragedy. I love that you have many projects planned using pieces cleaned from the rubble. Like Phoenix Projects!

2 Likes

I love how you’ve literally pulled art from the ashes. Also the pairing of the white felt with the blackened wood is an excellent juxtaposition. Beautiful work.

1 Like

Such a statement piece. Powerful and moving. I’m glad to see you using it, because I know it just have been such a painful experience.

1 Like

Wow! Strength and beauty. I love it!

1 Like